IMAC - OS9

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Don, Jul 16, 2006.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    Hey All,

    Long time Apple II user (Apple IIe for about 15 years) and PC user for
    the last ten years. I've used Mac's at work extensively and quite
    familiar with them.

    However, I just came into posession of a friend's old IMAC with OS
    9.0.4 with 64 Megs of RAM. The friend is moving out of the country and
    content with her iBook and needed to get rid of the bulky IMAC system.

    I briefly poked around the web and didn't come up with much, but I was
    curious what applications were available for download for the IMAC/OS
    9??

    My friend has an old version of MS Word on the system but something a
    little more up to date. I recently started downloading OpenOffice for
    a small start up I work at. Something like that for the IMAC would be
    nice.

    Otherwise, not looking for much Basic web surfing and office type
    applications will be fine for me. I'm not worried about games and the
    like. That's what my PS2 and PC's are for. :D

    Any help would be appreciated!!

    Thanks,
    Don
    Don, Jul 16, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Don

    Jon Guest

    Don <> wrote:

    > However, I just came into posession of a friend's old IMAC with OS
    > 9.0.4 with 64 Megs of RAM. The friend is moving out of the country and
    > content with her iBook and needed to get rid of the bulky IMAC system.


    Load up at least 256 MB more of RAM and put OS X on it (10.3.9 is a
    good, stable and fast release that is not too ram hungry - i don't think
    you will gain much with "Tiger", aka 10.4.x.), then you will have much
    more to choOse from, both commercial and share-/freeware. It should be a
    stable, quite usable, although not, obviously, a very quick system.
    Options are becoming very limited for OS 9.

    > I briefly poked around the web and didn't come up with much, but I was
    > curious what applications were available for download for the IMAC/OS
    > 9??


    iCab is said to be the only browser that is still being developed for OS
    9. Otherwise, things are becoming outdated. OS X is six years old by
    now.

    > My friend has an old version of MS Word on the system but something a
    > little more up to date. I recently started downloading OpenOffice for
    > a small start up I work at. Something like that for the IMAC would be
    > nice.


    AFAIK, OO and its non-X11 sibling, NeoOffice, are available for OS X
    only - at least in recent versions. Both are good, but reasonably
    resource hungry. AppleWorks is still available for both OS 9 and OS X,
    as is (AFAIK) NisusWriter.

    > Otherwise, not looking for much Basic web surfing and office type
    > applications will be fine for me. I'm not worried about games and the
    > like. That's what my PS2 and PC's are for. :D


    Welcome! :)
    --
    /Jon
    For contact info, run the following in Terminal:
    Mail: echo 36199371860304980107073482417748002696458P|dc
    Skype: echo 139576319600233690471689738P|dc
    Jon, Jul 16, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Don

    Hans Aberg Guest

    In article <>, "Don"
    <> wrote:

    > However, I just came into posession of a friend's old IMAC with OS
    > 9.0.4 with 64 Megs of RAM. The friend is moving out of the country and
    > content with her iBook and needed to get rid of the bulky IMAC system.


    If it what others call an iMac, you may upgrade it to Mac OS X as follows:
    First upgrade to latest Mac OS 9.2.x - free from Apple site. Check Apple
    support for Firmware updates of you model, and run it - must be run under
    Mac OS 9. Then you can try install Mac OS X, but if you have too little
    RAM, get 512 MB; after install, do a "Software Update" from the Apple menu
    while the computer is networked. And you may get a larger hard disk - some
    tens of GB recommended. If you have never run Mac OS 9, you will have no
    need for it.

    --
    Hans Aberg
    Hans Aberg, Jul 16, 2006
    #3
  4. In article <>,
    "Don" <> wrote:

    > I briefly poked around the web and didn't come up with much, but I
    > was curious what applications were available for download for the
    > IMAC/OS 9??


    <www.versiontracker.com>
    <www.macupdate.com>
    <www.macdownload.com>

    --
    Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.
    Michelle Steiner, Jul 16, 2006
    #4
  5. Don

    matt neuburg Guest

    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "Don" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I briefly poked around the web and didn't come up with much, but I
    > > was curious what applications were available for download for the
    > > IMAC/OS 9??

    >
    > <www.versiontracker.com>
    > <www.macupdate.com>
    > <www.macdownload.com>


    And the granddaddy of them all:

    <http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/>

    m.


    --
    matt neuburg, phd = , http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    Tiger - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/tiger-customizing.html
    AppleScript - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596102119
    Read TidBITS! It's free and smart. http://www.tidbits.com
    matt neuburg, Jul 16, 2006
    #5
  6. In article <>,
    "Don" <> wrote:

    > Otherwise, not looking for much Basic web surfing and office type
    > applications will be fine for me. I'm not worried about games and the
    > like. That's what my PS2 and PC's are for. :D
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated!!





    Www.snarkish.com

    Check there for the people form the old Compuserve Macintosh forum.
    They may be able to point you to some avaiilable stuff.

    In general you won't find anything over the counter fo rthe most part.
    ANything that old is likely used.

    DMK
    D. Kirkpatrick, Jul 16, 2006
    #6
  7. Don

    Eric P. Guest

    In article <>,
    "D. Kirkpatrick" <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "Don" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Otherwise, not looking for much Basic web surfing and office type
    > > applications will be fine for me. I'm not worried about games and the
    > > like. That's what my PS2 and PC's are for. :D
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated!!

    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Www.snarkish.com
    >
    > Check there for the people form the old Compuserve Macintosh forum.
    > They may be able to point you to some avaiilable stuff.
    >
    > In general you won't find anything over the counter fo rthe most part.
    > ANything that old is likely used.
    >
    > DMK


    Do NOT install OS X. DO install OS 9.2.2. Load up minimum 128MB of
    physical RAM (the more, the better). Grab/download as many pieces
    of freeware and shareware that are updated for 9.2.2 as you can find
    that fit the categories that interest you. You might even want to make
    a sacrifice to Micro$oft to get Word and Excel (I'd go with Office 98
    and all relevant updates), but if you can find a suitable alternative,
    even better :)

    This is the strategy I'd follow. Just some things to consider. Or, better
    still, sell the machine and buy a newer Mac :)

    Happy computing,
    Eric
    Eric P., Jul 16, 2006
    #7
  8. In article
    <>,
    "Eric P." <> wrote:

    > Do NOT install OS X.


    Why not?

    --
    Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.
    Michelle Steiner, Jul 17, 2006
    #8
  9. Don

    Hans Aberg Guest

    In article <>, Michelle
    Steiner <> wrote:

    > > Do NOT install OS X.

    >
    > Why not?


    I wonder that to: there is a G3 here that works wonderfully under Mac OS
    X.3 at least.

    > > Or, better
    > > still, sell the machine and buy a newer Mac


    And if one has gotten Mac OS X up and running for awhile, it is easier to
    target exactly what new model one may want to have. And one gets a good
    second computer for a low price. There is little point in selling this old
    computer, as you get virtually nothing for it.

    --
    Hans Aberg
    Hans Aberg, Jul 17, 2006
    #9
  10. Don

    Dennis M Guest

    In article <>, "Don"
    <> wrote:

    >I briefly poked around the web and didn't come up with much, but I was
    >curious what applications were available for download for the IMAC/OS
    >9??


    Just go to www.pure-mac.com and browse their software descriptions and
    (usually) direct links for downloading, everything is well organized and
    user-friendly unlike that godawful VersionTracker site. Pure-mac has
    indicators whether the software will run under classic or OS X (or even
    Intel Native or 680x0 native).

    Most people will recommend iCab to run under classic but I always use(d)
    Mozilla 1.3.1 (WaMCom special build), it renders pages better IMO.
    Dennis M, Jul 17, 2006
    #10
  11. Don

    Eric P. Guest

    In article <1hilzl7.9trghd1tgikgbN%>,
    d (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    >
    > > > Do NOT install OS X.

    > >
    > > Why not?

    >
    > I was also going to ask that. If the OP only wants to use the iMac for
    > word processing, okay, but he specifically mentioned web surfing, so why
    > limit himself to the browsers that run under OS 9?


    The only browser I've seen and used for OS X that I liked at all
    is Camino. That's hardly a selling point to me, as I can name
    at least two browsers that work acceptably well under OS 9.x.

    - E
    Eric P., Jul 18, 2006
    #11
  12. In article
    <>,
    "Eric P." <> wrote:

    > The only browser I've seen and used for OS X that I liked at all
    > is Camino. That's hardly a selling point to me, as I can name
    > at least two browsers that work acceptably well under OS 9.x.


    I would guess one is iCab. I have no idea what the other would be. An
    ancient Mozilla build? Current web browsers are implementing CSS to a
    better extent. Authors are using CSS to a better extent. Old browsers
    don't do modern CSS, or for that matter HTML 4.01. Modern browsers
    implement them far better than old browsers. I can only hope that future
    browsers implement the specs perfectly. But I doubt that'll be the case.
    Mozilla quit supporting OS9 ages ago. As did IE. As did Opera. AFAICT
    iCab is the only modern graphical browser that supports OS9 and
    continues builds for it. It's a damned good browser though.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
    Leonard Blaisdell, Jul 18, 2006
    #12
  13. Don

    Eric P. Guest

    In article <-sjc.supernews.net>,
    Leonard Blaisdell <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > "Eric P." <> wrote:
    >
    > > The only browser I've seen and used for OS X that I liked at all
    > > is Camino. That's hardly a selling point to me, as I can name
    > > at least two browsers that work acceptably well under OS 9.x.

    >
    > I would guess one is iCab. I have no idea what the other would be. An
    > ancient Mozilla build? Current web browsers are implementing CSS to a
    > better extent. Authors are using CSS to a better extent. Old browsers
    > don't do modern CSS, or for that matter HTML 4.01. Modern browsers
    > implement them far better than old browsers. I can only hope that future
    > browsers implement the specs perfectly. But I doubt that'll be the case.
    > Mozilla quit supporting OS9 ages ago. As did IE. As did Opera. AFAICT
    > iCab is the only modern graphical browser that supports OS9 and
    > continues builds for it. It's a damned good browser though.
    >
    > leo


    Netscape did a fair enough job for the longest time, for me, but on
    my current system, nothing I've tried has satisfied me as much as
    Mozilla 1.3.1 with the patch applied. The only complaints I have about
    it are the way Flash behaves with it, and the problem that Shockwave's
    updater won't recognize the browser, and therefore won't update,
    leaving me stuck with Shockwave Flash NP-PPC 7.0 r63. I've tried iCab,
    but I just couldn't get comfortable with it.

    If only Camino ran under 9.2.2, I'd be in Web Heaven, as I LOVE it
    under OS X.

    I do have plans to add Tiger to my system, as I've mentioned in other
    discussions, but that will have to wait till I have the $$ for it and
    install a second internal HD for it.

    - E
    Eric P., Jul 19, 2006
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Auric__
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    258
    Auric__
    Mar 4, 2004
  2. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    240
  3. Lucid77
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    209
    Lucid77
    Mar 2, 2006
  4. Upgrade iMac OS9

    , Sep 19, 2006, in forum: Apple
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    188
    Hans Aberg
    Sep 20, 2006
  5. magdalena

    OS9, iMac Bondi Blue, 320mb ram

    magdalena, Jun 15, 2007, in forum: Apple
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    152
    Preacher
    Jun 15, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page