    the warranty. Not to mention many frustrating hours of blue screens,
    diagnostics and downtime. And I'm still entitled to two more years
    of Dell's in-home disservice!

    imk, Mar 1, 2007

  2. imk

    Notan Guest

    imk wrote:
    > Four years of Dell in-home service came with my Dell 4700 purchase two
    > years ago. In the first year, after making me do many hours of
    > diagnostic tests under the telephone directions of their outsourced
    > technicians, they replaced the motherboard and one 256-meg memory
    > card . When I again got the blue screen of death, I called my local
    > guru, who tried to reinstall Windows. He reported a malfunctioning
    > boot drive, which Dell's service man replaced. When I still got the
    > blue screen, I called my guru again. After he found and removed a bad
    > 256-meg memory card, the computer functioned again, albeit slowly.
    > When I called Dell to replace the bad memory card, they refused to do
    > anything unless I went into the console and performed more
    > diagnostics. After limping along for a year with only 256 meg of
    > memory, I finally bought 1 gigabyte and had my guru install it.
    >
    > So far I've paid my guru $275 to do what Dell is supposed to do under
    > the warranty. Not to mention many frustrating hours of blue screens,
    > diagnostics and downtime. And I'm still entitled to two more years
    > of Dell's in-home disservice!

    It's SOP to have the consumer run diagnostics before sending a tech.

    Did you *really* call "your guru" to add memory???

    --
    Notan

    Notan, Mar 1, 2007

  3. imk

    Kevin Guest

    "imk" <> wrote in message
    > Four years of Dell in-home service came with my Dell 4700 purchase two
    > years ago. In the first year, after making me do many hours of
    > diagnostic tests under the telephone directions of their outsourced
    > technicians, they replaced the motherboard and one 256-meg memory
    > card . When I again got the blue screen of death, I called my local
    > guru, who tried to reinstall Windows. He reported a malfunctioning
    > boot drive, which Dell's service man replaced. When I still got the
    > blue screen, I called my guru again. After he found and removed a bad
    > 256-meg memory card, the computer functioned again, albeit slowly.
    > When I called Dell to replace the bad memory card, they refused to do
    > anything unless I went into the console and performed more
    > diagnostics. After limping along for a year with only 256 meg of
    > memory, I finally bought 1 gigabyte and had my guru install it.
    >
    > So far I've paid my guru $275 to do what Dell is supposed to do under
    > the warranty. Not to mention many frustrating hours of blue screens,
    > diagnostics and downtime. And I'm still entitled to two more years
    > of Dell's in-home disservice!

    So, what's your point? That you won't insist that Dell fix your system, so
    you call an outside technician and pay to have him muck around with it?
    When you call the product support of any company, not just Dell, you have to
    make sure they know what your expectations are right off the bat. If you
    don't tell them what you want, they tell you what they will give you.

    Kevin, Mar 1, 2007
  4. imk

    journey Guest

    On 28 Feb 2007 18:22:13 -0800, "imk" <> wrote:

    >So far I've paid my guru $275 to do what Dell is supposed to do under
    >the warranty. Not to mention many frustrating hours of blue screens,
    >diagnostics and downtime. And I'm still entitled to two more years
    >of Dell's in-home disservice!

    There are few things as frustrating as blue screens of death that
    can't be easily resolved. It sounds like Dell put forth a reasonable
    effort. Unfortunately not all problems are easy to diagnose and fix.

    journey, Mar 1, 2007
  5. imk

    Jay B Guest

    you "got off easy" by paying only $275 for several years....

    my typical service call is $200, and some are even as high as $600.
    dell is actually better than most of the other major companies.
    most of my customers and repeat business come from customers being
    screwed by dealing with others, either the mfg or other computer guys.

    some problems especially if they're intermittent are hard to solve.
    dell does a great job with their scripts for the most part. parts get
    out fast, etc. i actually help my customers by getting them to call
    support, and get the parts shipped, and if they need help installing, i
    can step in. that cuts down on labor for them and time that i dont have.

    to contrast, one customer is still waiting a week for a spare part from
    HP... terrible.

    Jay B, Mar 1, 2007
  6. imk

    Bob Johnson Guest

    >you "got off easy" by paying only $275 for several years....

    Considering the time, money, and frustration required to fix some
    computer problems, it just might be easier to buy a new onw.
    Prices are low enough that they are almost disposable
    (but not as disposable as a, DVD, microwave, etc... )
    The only concern I have with a new one is dealing with Vista.

    I guess I have been lucky. My Compaq )origianl from 1983) worked
    fine for years and even got a good price for it when I upgraded to a
    Compaq 286. My Gateway 486 from 1994 got many years of use and was
    still working when I threw it out last year. I currently have a
    Dell Dimenson 8400 and an Inspiron 9300, both just over two years
    old, and other than placing the order online have never had any
    contact with Dell. Both work perfectly (Windows XP!)

    Best Regards,
    Bob Johnson

    Bob Johnson, Mar 1, 2007
  7. imk

    S.Lewis Guest

    "imk" <> wrote in message
    > Four years of Dell in-home service came with my Dell 4700 purchase two
    > years ago. In the first year, after making me do many hours of
    > diagnostic tests under the telephone directions of their outsourced
    > technicians, they replaced the motherboard and one 256-meg memory
    > card . When I again got the blue screen of death, I called my local
    > guru, who tried to reinstall Windows. He reported a malfunctioning
    > boot drive, which Dell's service man replaced. When I still got the
    > blue screen, I called my guru again. After he found and removed a bad
    > 256-meg memory card, the computer functioned again, albeit slowly.
    > When I called Dell to replace the bad memory card, they refused to do
    > anything unless I went into the console and performed more
    > diagnostics. After limping along for a year with only 256 meg of
    > memory, I finally bought 1 gigabyte and had my guru install it.
    >
    > So far I've paid my guru $275 to do what Dell is supposed to do under
    > the warranty. Not to mention many frustrating hours of blue screens,
    > diagnostics and downtime. And I'm still entitled to two more years
    > of Dell's in-home disservice!

    Probably would've been better to let your 'guru' have the machine upon first
    failure and let him call Dell and return the machine when it was truly
    fixed.

    This way, you'd at least have been spared the phone time and multiple
    failures perhaps.

    Surprised your dude didn't catch the hardware failures using Dell's
    diagnostics......

    -Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 1, 2007
  8. imk

    RnR Guest

    On 28 Feb 2007 18:22:13 -0800, "imk" <> wrote:

    >Four years of Dell in-home service came with my Dell 4700 purchase two
    >years ago. In the first year, after making me do many hours of
    >diagnostic tests under the telephone directions of their outsourced
    >technicians, they replaced the motherboard and one 256-meg memory
    >card . When I again got the blue screen of death, I called my local
    >guru, who tried to reinstall Windows. He reported a malfunctioning
    >boot drive, which Dell's service man replaced. When I still got the
    >blue screen, I called my guru again. After he found and removed a bad
    >256-meg memory card, the computer functioned again, albeit slowly.
    >When I called Dell to replace the bad memory card, they refused to do
    >anything unless I went into the console and performed more
    >diagnostics. After limping along for a year with only 256 meg of
    >memory, I finally bought 1 gigabyte and had my guru install it.
    >
    >So far I've paid my guru $275 to do what Dell is supposed to do under
    >the warranty. Not to mention many frustrating hours of blue screens,
    >diagnostics and downtime. And I'm still entitled to two more years
    >of Dell's in-home disservice!

    Sounds to me like you should stick with your guru and just forget
    about Dell support as you seem to have better satisfaction with the
    guru. That said, it's, of course harder to diagnose over a phone for
    all the things that might go wrong. Many years ago, they messed me up
    a bit and over the years, except for outright hardware failure, have
    learned to diagnose (sometimes with the help of the internet) my own
    problems to avoid dealing with any support over the phone.

    Actually I think Dell needs to rethink the competitive price now and
    jack the price up on their system purchases but offer a superior
    support compared to the competitors. Over the years, pc's have gotten
    lower in price but at some point, there must be a bottom and I think
    the industry has sorta hurt themselves by conditioning us to expecting
    lower prices. Of course as a result, they had to economize on other
    aspects on the purchase such as support, warrantee, etc.. .

    Good luck and for the time being, scrap Dell (chalk up the support
    cost to experience) and use your guru person instead for now and in
    the future (till Dell, etc.. get their support worthy).

    RnR, Mar 1, 2007
  9. imk

    RnR Guest

    On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:49:02 -0800, Bob Johnson <>
    wrote:

    >>you "got off easy" by paying only $275 for several years....

    Boy, I can't imagine paying out $200 to $600 to fix a pc problem but
    good for Jay B if he can get it. Of course, I think a good person is
    worth more and he has to eat too <g>.

    But considering I once was in a store when the tech guy told a
    customer, he could format their hard drive in the store for about $40
    perhaps a $200 for a house call isn't too bad after all.

    RnR, Mar 1, 2007
  10. imk

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Most "tech support" and service in stores such as CompUSA,
    BestBuy et al, is grossly over-priced and under-qualified.
    $40 to format a hard drive? Highway robbery.

    <RnR> wrote in message
    | On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:49:02 -0800, Bob Johnson
    <>

    Jim Macklin, Mar 1, 2007
  11. imk

    RnR Guest

    On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:40:14 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >Most "tech support" and service in stores such as CompUSA,
    >BestBuy et al, is grossly over-priced and under-qualified.
    >$40 to format a hard drive? Highway robbery.

    Jim, I'm not trying to harsh or confusing but .....
    I agree and disagree. I agree from the standpoint that it's not all
    that hard or involved to do but disagree in that people are paying for
    the knowledge and service of someone else who has to make a living.
    But I understand where you are coming from.

    RnR, Mar 2, 2007
  12. imk

    RnR Guest

    On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 02:11:23 -0600, RnR wrote:

    >Jim, I'm not trying to harsh or confusing but .....
    >I agree and disagree. I agree from the standpoint that it's not all
    >that hard or involved to do but disagree in that people are paying for
    >the knowledge and service of someone else who has to make a living.
    >But I understand where you are coming from.

    Sorry posted this in the wrong place... let me repost correctly.

    RnR, Mar 2, 2007
  13. imk

    RnR, Mar 2, 2007
  14. imk

    RnR Guest

    On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 02:13:53 -0600, RnR wrote:

    >On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:40:14 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    ><p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
    >
    >>Most "tech support" and service in stores such as CompUSA,
    >>BestBuy et al, is grossly over-priced and under-qualified.
    >>$40 to format a hard drive? Highway robbery.
    >>

    >Jim, I'm not trying to harsh or confusing but .....
    >I agree and disagree. I agree from the standpoint that it's not all
    >that hard or involved to do but disagree in that people are paying for
    >the knowledge and service of someone else who has to make a living.
    >But I understand where you are coming from.

    I don't know what's going on with my posts hours ago but they make
    this thread a little confusing. Sorry !!

    RnR, Mar 2, 2007
  15. imk

    RnR Guest

    On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:40:14 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >Most "tech support" and service in stores such as CompUSA,
    >BestBuy et al, is grossly over-priced and under-qualified.
    >$40 to format a hard drive? Highway robbery.
    >

    ><RnR> wrote in message
    >| On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:49:02 -0800, Bob Johnson
    ><>

    >years....
    >| >

    >| Boy, I can't imagine paying out $200 to $600 to fix a pc
    >problem but
    >| good for Jay B if he can get it. Of course, I think a
    >good person is
    >| worth more and he has to eat too <g>.
    >|
    >| But considering I once was in a store when the tech guy
    >told a
    >| customer, he could format their hard drive in the store
    >for about $40
    >| perhaps a $200 for a house call isn't too bad after all.

    Jim and the others ignor this reply. Just wondering why my earlier
    posts didn't post correctly in order. If this doesn't, my apologies
    to all.

    RnR, Mar 2, 2007
  16. imk

    RnR Guest

    On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 07:56:18 -0600, RnR wrote:

    >On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:40:14 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    ><p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
    >
    >>Most "tech support" and service in stores such as CompUSA,
    >>BestBuy et al, is grossly over-priced and under-qualified.
    >>$40 to format a hard drive? Highway robbery.
    >>

    >><RnR> wrote in message
    >>| On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:49:02 -0800, Bob Johnson
    >><>

    >>years....
    >>| >

    >>| Boy, I can't imagine paying out $200 to $600 to fix a pc
    >>problem but
    >>| good for Jay B if he can get it. Of course, I think a
    >>good person is
    >>| worth more and he has to eat too <g>.
    >>|
    >>| But considering I once was in a store when the tech guy
    >>told a
    >>| customer, he could format their hard drive in the store
    >>for about $40
    >>| perhaps a $200 for a house call isn't too bad after all.
    >>

    >Jim and the others ignor this reply. Just wondering why my earlier
    >posts didn't post correctly in order. If this doesn't, my apologies
    >to all.

    Strange but I see my old newsreader (agent 2) doesn't like something I
    guess because I know I replied to Jim correctly now (few minutes ago)
    and yet it got placed outa order. At least I know it wasn't me but I
    assume it was this newsreader. I never saw this happen before ever
    and I think I've replied to Jim in at least one other thread. Sorry
    again for my errors all !!

    RnR, Mar 2, 2007
  17. imk

    RnR Guest

    On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:40:14 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >Most "tech support" and service in stores such as CompUSA,
    >BestBuy et al, is grossly over-priced and under-qualified.
    >$40 to format a hard drive? Highway robbery.
    >

    ><RnR> wrote in message
    >| On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:49:02 -0800, Bob Johnson
    ><>

    >years....
    >| >

    >| Boy, I can't imagine paying out $200 to $600 to fix a pc
    >problem but
    >| good for Jay B if he can get it. Of course, I think a
    >good person is
    >| worth more and he has to eat too <g>.
    >|
    >| But considering I once was in a store when the tech guy
    >told a
    >| customer, he could format their hard drive in the store
    >for about $40
    >| perhaps a $200 for a house call isn't too bad after all.

    This is weird. I just replied now to another of Jim's post (for test
    purposes) dated 1/31/07 and it got posted in the correct order yet I
    bet this reply will be posted in the wrong order. I wonder why this
    is (using agent 2 in both cases) ?

    RnR, Mar 2, 2007
  18. imk

    alien Guest

    <RnR> wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:40:14 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    > <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
    >

    >>Most "tech support" and service in stores such as CompUSA,
    >>BestBuy et al, is grossly over-priced and under-qualified.
    >>$40 to format a hard drive? Highway robbery.
    >>

    >><RnR> wrote in message
    >>| On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:49:02 -0800, Bob Johnson
    >><>

    >>years....
    >>| >

    >>| Boy, I can't imagine paying out $200 to $600 to fix a pc
    >>problem but
    >>| good for Jay B if he can get it. Of course, I think a
    >>good person is
    >>| worth more and he has to eat too <g>.
    >>|
    >>| But considering I once was in a store when the tech guy
    >>told a
    >>| customer, he could format their hard drive in the store
    >>for about $40
    >>| perhaps a $200 for a house call isn't too bad after all.
    >>

    > This is weird. I just replied now to another of Jim's post (for test
    > purposes) dated 1/31/07 and it got posted in the correct order yet I
    > bet this reply will be posted in the wrong order. I wonder why this
    > is (using agent 2 in both cases) ?

    Is it because you thought you were buying ditchweed but got Maui Wowie by
    mistake? ;)

    alien

    alien, Mar 2, 2007
  19. imk

    RnR Guest

    On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 17:45:56 GMT, "alien" <>
    wrote:

    ><RnR> wrote in message news:...
    >> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:40:14 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    >> <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Most "tech support" and service in stores such as CompUSA,
    >>>BestBuy et al, is grossly over-priced and under-qualified.
    >>>$40 to format a hard drive? Highway robbery.
    >>>

    >>><RnR> wrote in message
    >>><>

    >>>years....

    >>>problem but
    >>>good person is

    >>>told a
    >>>for about $40
    >>>

    >> This is weird. I just replied now to another of Jim's post (for test
    >> purposes) dated 1/31/07 and it got posted in the correct order yet I
    >> bet this reply will be posted in the wrong order. I wonder why this
    >> is (using agent 2 in both cases) ?

    >Is it because you thought you were buying ditchweed but got Maui Wowie by
    >mistake? ;)
    >
    >alien

    No, I just do Starbucks only in a CUP !!!
    I found another post of his and test replied to it with no problem so
    I think it may be my server not my software. No big deal I guess but
    makes for sloppy replies.

    RnR, Mar 2, 2007
  20. imk

    Paul Knudsen Guest

    On 28 Feb 2007 18:22:13 -0800, "imk" <> wrote:

    >So far I've paid my guru $275 to do what Dell is supposed to do under
    >the warranty. Not to mention many frustrating hours of blue screens,
    >diagnostics and downtime. And I'm still entitled to two more years
    >of Dell's in-home disservice!

    I hear you. Going to look at Systamax for my next desktop. Course,
    no telling if their service is any better.
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
    http://journals.democraticunderground.com/top10

    Paul Knudsen, Mar 5, 2007