    and that cannot be changed

    Why the disconnect?

    , Jan 11, 2012

  2. JF Mezei Guest

    wrote:

    > Disk Utility says Write Status: Read/Write.

    This is at the hardware level. The disk doesn't have a write-disable
    jumper set. (or in the case of non rewritable CD/DVDs, those would be
    read-only by nature).

    > But the Info page displayed by control-I says
    >
    > Sharing and permissions: you can read only
    > and that cannot be changed

    This deals with file system security. Which users have access to which
    files. Normally, you should be able to click on the "lock" symbol, it
    will prompt you for your administrator password, after which you can
    change the file security to grant you access.

    JF Mezei, Jan 11, 2012

  3. In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > On a Mac Pro running under 10.6.8, inserted a
    > USB formatted with Mac Standard under Mac OS9 on
    > an older titanium Mac Book G4.
    >
    > Disk Utility says Write Status: Read/Write.
    >
    > But the Info page displayed by control-I says
    >
    > Sharing and permissions: you can read only
    > and that cannot be changed
    >
    > Why the disconnect?

    Disk Utility is telling you that the drive is writeable, but Finder is
    telling you that file permissions are set up to stop you doing so.
    Meaning that Disk Utility could reformat the drive if you wanted, but
    that until then Finder isn't going to touch it unless you can change the
    permissions on it.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    Independent Mac OS X developer since 2002

    Tom Harrington, Jan 11, 2012
  4. nospam Guest

    In article <4f0df981$0$26967$c3e8da3$>, JF
    Mezei <> wrote:

    > > Disk Utility says Write Status: Read/Write.

    > This is at the hardware level. The disk doesn't have a write-disable
    > jumper set. (or in the case of non rewritable CD/DVDs, those would be
    > read-only by nature).
    >
    > > But the Info page displayed by control-I says
    > >
    > > Sharing and permissions: you can read only
    > > and that cannot be changed

    > This deals with file system security. Which users have access to which
    > files. Normally, you should be able to click on the "lock" symbol, it
    > will prompt you for your administrator password, after which you can
    > change the file security to grant you access.

    that won't help at all.

    he said it was formatted as mac os standard (hfs) as opposed to mac os
    extended (hfs+). standard hfs is read-only.

    the only solution is to copy the data, reformat it as hfs+ and then
    restore the data, unless he doesn't mind being restricted to older
    systems.

    nospam, Jan 11, 2012
  5. Guest

    On Jan 11, 2:57 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article <4f0df981$0$26967$c3e8da3$>, JF
    >

    > Mezei <> wrote:
    > > > Disk Utility says Write Status: Read/Write.

    > > This is at the hardware level. The disk doesn't have a write-disable
    > > jumper set. (or in the case of non rewritable CD/DVDs, those would be
    > > read-only by nature).

    > > > But the Info page displayed by control-I says

    > > > Sharing and permissions: you can read only
    > > > and that cannot be changed

    > > This deals with file system security. Which users have access to which
    > > files.  Normally, you should be able to click on the "lock" symbol, it
    > > will prompt you for your administrator password, after which you can
    > > change the file security to grant you access.

    > that won't help at all.
    >
    > he said it was formatted as mac os standard (hfs) as opposed to mac os
    > extended (hfs+). standard hfs is read-only.
    >
    > the only solution is to copy the data, reformat it as hfs+ and then
    > restore the data, unless he doesn't mind being restricted to older
    > systems.

    Actually I solved the problem by trial and error. On the old
    PowerBook G4
    I erased the USB with Disk First Aid (after turning off File Sharing).
    Now
    OS X is happy: the triangle was back and I could reset the
    permissions.

    Note that reformatting with HFS+ is a mistake: the PowerBook would
    say that the USB is unreadable. Formatting with DOS also works on both
    systems but contaminates disks with invisible files like .DStore

    , Jan 11, 2012
  6. nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Note that reformatting with HFS+ is a mistake: the PowerBook would
    > say that the USB is unreadable. Formatting with DOS also works on both
    > systems but contaminates disks with invisible files like .DStore

    what system is the powerbook running?

    macos 8.1 or later supports hfs+ and should be able to read the usb
    stick. earlier macos versions will only see the hfs wrapper volume
    which contains a text file that explains why you can't see any files.
    it will probably work best if you format it hfs+ on the earliest system
    you have.

    you can format the stick for fat32 on either a mac or windows system,
    but you will be limited to a maximum file size of 4 gig.

    nospam, Jan 12, 2012
  7. Guest

    On Jan 11, 5:02 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Note that reformatting with HFS+ is a mistake: the PowerBook would
    > > say that the USB is unreadable. Formatting with DOS also works on both
    > > systems but contaminates disks with invisible files like .DStore

    > what system is the powerbook running?

    9.2.2

    refuses to read any stick formatted by OS X Disk Utility, except DOS/
    FAT:
    "disk is unreadable"

    > macos 8.1 or later supports hfs+ and should be able to read the usb
    > stick. earlier macos versions will only see the hfs wrapper volume
    > which contains a text file that explains why you can't see any files.
    > it will probably work best if you format it hfs+ on the earliest system
    > you have.
    >
    > you can format the stick for fat32 on either a mac or windows system,
    > but you will be limited to a maximum file size of 4 gig.

    , Jan 12, 2012
  8. nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    <> wrote:

    > > > Note that reformatting with HFS+ is a mistake: the PowerBook would
    > > > say that the USB is unreadable. Formatting with DOS also works on both
    > > > systems but contaminates disks with invisible files like .DStore

    > > what system is the powerbook running?

    > 9.2.2
    >
    > refuses to read any stick formatted by OS X Disk Utility, except DOS/
    > FAT: "disk is unreadable"

    did you format hfs on the 9.2.2 machine or in osx?

    nospam, Jan 12, 2012