Inexpensive USB (or RS-232) "terminal"

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Tim Wescott, Nov 17, 2011.

  1. Tim Wescott

    Tim Wescott Guest

    I'm thinking of doing some hobby electronics design, to augment my
    already busy professional schedule (I like punishment).

    The gizmo I'm thinking of building would be used out in the field, by
    folks who wouldn't always have laptops or wouldn't want to spring for
    them.

    My preference would be to build the gizmo with a USB interface, set up as
    a modem so that I could just talk to it with a terminal program. But I
    can see some potential users wanting to do this with a separate terminal.

    So -- is there anything already made that consists of nothing more than a
    USB host with a terminal, and is reasonably cheap? Preferably it would
    be something that's already sold, that I could just point people to, and
    preferably it'd retail for less than $100. Or should I be thinking of
    either not serving that population (since I mostly want to make these for
    me), or making the thing spit out old-style asynchronous serial?

    Suggestions welcome.

    --
    www.wescottdesign.com

    Tim Wescott, Nov 17, 2011

  2. Tim Wescott

    rickman Guest

    On Nov 17, 2:39 pm, Tim Wescott <> wrote:
    > I'm thinking of doing some hobby electronics design, to augment my
    > already busy professional schedule (I like punishment).
    >
    > The gizmo I'm thinking of building would be used out in the field, by
    > folks who wouldn't always have laptops or wouldn't want to spring for
    > them.
    >
    > My preference would be to build the gizmo with a USB interface, set up as
    > a modem so that I could just talk to it with a terminal program.  But I
    > can see some potential users wanting to do this with a separate terminal.
    >
    > So -- is there anything already made that consists of nothing more than a
    > USB host with a terminal, and is reasonably cheap?  Preferably it would
    > be something that's already sold, that I could just point people to, and
    > preferably it'd retail for less than $100.  Or should I be thinking of
    > either not serving that population (since I mostly want to make these for
    > me), or making the thing spit out old-style asynchronous serial?
    >
    > Suggestions welcome.
    >
    > --www.wescottdesign.com

    Not trying to be smart, but isn't that what an iPad or iPod is? There
    are any number of similar android devices for under $200 and I have
    seen some for around $100. I expect you only need to wait a few
    months for them to be under $100. I can't imagine that with the
    thousands of apps there isn't a terminal emulator already written.

    Rick

    rickman, Nov 17, 2011

  3. Tim Wescott

    Tim Wescott Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 12:39:44 -0800, rickman wrote:

    > Not trying to be smart, but isn't that what an iPad or iPod is? There
    > are any number of similar android devices for under $200 and I have seen
    > some for around $100. I expect you only need to wait a few months for
    > them to be under $100. I can't imagine that with the thousands of apps
    > there isn't a terminal emulator already written.

    AFAIK they don't have USB.

    --
    www.wescottdesign.com

    Tim Wescott, Nov 17, 2011
  4. On 2011-11-17, Tim Wescott <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 12:39:44 -0800, rickman wrote:
    >
    >> Not trying to be smart, but isn't that what an iPad or iPod is?
    >> There are any number of similar android devices for under $200 and I
    >> have seen some for around $100. I expect you only need to wait a few
    >> months for them to be under $100. I can't imagine that with the
    >> thousands of apps there isn't a terminal emulator already written.

    There are terminal emulators, but they connect via TCP/IP, not
    USB/serial.

    > AFAIK they don't have USB.

    Yes they do, but they're slaves (devices), not masters (hosts).

    --
    Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! But they went to MARS
    at around 1953!!

    Grant Edwards, Nov 17, 2011
  5. Tim Wescott

    Tim Wescott Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 21:18:57 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

    > On 2011-11-17, Tim Wescott <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 12:39:44 -0800, rickman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not trying to be smart, but isn't that what an iPad or iPod is? There
    >>> are any number of similar android devices for under $200 and I have
    >>> seen some for around $100. I expect you only need to wait a few
    >>> months for them to be under $100. I can't imagine that with the
    >>> thousands of apps there isn't a terminal emulator already written.

    > There are terminal emulators, but they connect via TCP/IP, not
    > USB/serial.
    >
    >> AFAIK they don't have USB.

    > Yes they do, but they're slaves (devices), not masters (hosts).

    Even iPads? iPods are certainly slave devices.

    Do you know about iPhones? For that matter -- what about typical Android
    phones and pads?

    --
    www.wescottdesign.com

    Tim Wescott, Nov 17, 2011
  6. Tim Wescott

    Guest

    On Nov 17, 4:14 pm, Tim Wescott <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 12:39:44 -0800, rickman wrote:
    > > Not trying to be smart, but isn't that what an iPad or iPod is?  There
    > > are any number of similar android devices for under $200 and I have seen
    > > some for around $100.  I expect you only need to wait a few months for
    > > them to be under $100.  I can't imagine that with the thousands of apps
    > > there isn't a terminal emulator already written.

    > AFAIK they don't have USB.
    >
    > --www.wescottdesign.com

    Perhaps the iPod and iPad don't have USB without using the "special"
    cable, but I know the android tablet devices support USB. Looking at
    an online ad they seem to include both types of adapter cables so you
    can connect to a PC or to peripherals. The Dino Direct web site that
    I watch doesn't have much technical info so it's hard to tell what
    they are selling exactly. But I can't imagine they wouldn't support
    USB devices. Even I can say USB on-the-go.

    As to the terminal emulator, why does the program care if it is over a
    serial port or a TCP/IP connection. I've never seen one on my PC that
    won't support a serial port. I've seen plenty that won't support TCP/
    IP unless a port is faked to look like a COM port like USB does.

    Rick

    , Nov 17, 2011
  7. Tim Wescott

    mike Guest

    Tim Wescott wrote:
    > I'm thinking of doing some hobby electronics design, to augment my
    > already busy professional schedule (I like punishment).
    >
    > The gizmo I'm thinking of building would be used out in the field, by
    > folks who wouldn't always have laptops or wouldn't want to spring for
    > them.
    >
    > My preference would be to build the gizmo with a USB interface, set up as
    > a modem so that I could just talk to it with a terminal program. But I
    > can see some potential users wanting to do this with a separate terminal.
    >
    > So -- is there anything already made that consists of nothing more than a
    > USB host with a terminal, and is reasonably cheap? Preferably it would
    > be something that's already sold, that I could just point people to, and
    > preferably it'd retail for less than $100. Or should I be thinking of
    > either not serving that population (since I mostly want to make these for
    > me), or making the thing spit out old-style asynchronous serial?
    >
    > Suggestions welcome.

    Not exactly clear what you're trying to accomplish, and which end of the
    link
    you want to be in control. Is this a general purpose device, or can you
    install drivers on either or both ends to make it work?

    There exist bluetooth to (rs-232)serial adapters.
    I plug them onto serial ports (PIC microcontrollers in my case)
    and run a terminal program on my bluetooth-enabled PDA. The target
    is still talking to a serial port and no additional drivers or setup
    are required.

    Cellphones have bluetooth, but I have no idea whether the features
    required
    to do this are enabled or blocked.

    You could use a bluetooth/usb adapter on the target, but that
    takes more smarts at the target and requires more setup.

    Ditto for USB/WiFI. I never had the energy to implement "sockets",
    so no experience here.

    mike, Nov 17, 2011
  8. Tim Wescott <> writes:
    >On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 12:39:44 -0800, rickman wrote:
    >> Not trying to be smart, but isn't that what an iPad or iPod is? There
    >> are any number of similar android devices for under $200 and I have seen
    >> some for around $100. I expect you only need to wait a few months for
    >> them to be under $100. I can't imagine that with the thousands of apps
    >> there isn't a terminal emulator already written.
    >>

    >AFAIK they don't have USB.

    They do with the Camera Connector Kit.. But not drivers.

    But they do have serial native (that needs to be brought up to RS-232 levels).

    http://redpark.com/c2db9.html

    That is the only non-jailbreak solution I know of. There are a few
    other term programs in the jailbreak side.

    A few people have posted a want of having a RS232 to bluetooth dongle,
    and using a term program on the iPad to talk BlueTooth serial, but I
    don't think is possible (at least in the Apple sandbox, perhaps out of
    the sandbox)..

    Doug McIntyre, Nov 17, 2011
  9. Tim Wescott

    Guest

    On Nov 17, 4:18 pm, Grant Edwards <> wrote:
    > On 2011-11-17, Tim Wescott <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 12:39:44 -0800, rickman wrote:

    > >> Not trying to be smart, but isn't that what an iPad or iPod is?
    > >> There are any number of similar android devices for under $200 and I
    > >> have seen some for around $100.  I expect you only need to wait a few
    > >> months for them to be under $100.  I can't imagine that with the
    > >> thousands of apps there isn't a terminal emulator already written.

    > There are terminal emulators, but they connect via TCP/IP, not
    > USB/serial.
    >
    > > AFAIK they don't have USB.

    > Yes they do, but they're slaves (devices), not masters (hosts).
    >
    > --
    > Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! But they went to MARS
    >                                   at               around 1953!!
    >                               gmail.com

    I thought I put a reply in here somewhere but I don't see it.

    I have looked at android tablets at DinoDirect and they seem to
    provide two types of cables with their devices, one for a PC USB jack
    and one for devices.

    http://www.dinodirect.com/android-2...et-pc-tablet-pc-computer-brown-tablet-pc.html

    http://www.dinodirect.com/ProductImages/ProductID-563896-name-DinoPhoto_2.html

    I haven't felt good enough about buying stuff from DinoDirect to
    actually buy one yet, but I'm thinking hard about it. I also don't
    get why they brag that they come with Android 2.3 and I see that
    Android 3.x is available. Is the version of Android important? Are
    the devices easily upgraded?

    Not that I need a terminal, but I'd like to put other things on it.
    For one I'd like to host a GPS navigator program to use with a
    bluetooth device... if the tablet included bluetooth, which I haven't
    found yet. I'm not going to add a bluetooth dongle for something that
    should be included in the durn tablet. They still don't include
    bluetooth in a lot of laptops yet!!! What's up with that???

    Rick

    , Nov 17, 2011
  10. Tim Wescott

    linnix Guest

    On Nov 17, 1:31 pm, Tim Wescott <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 21:18:57 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

    > > There are terminal emulators, but they connect via TCP/IP, not
    > > USB/serial.

    > >> AFAIK they don't have USB.

    > > Yes they do, but they're slaves (devices), not masters (hosts).

    > Even iPads?  iPods are certainly slave devices.
    >
    > Do you know about iPhones?  For that matter -- what about typical Android
    > phones and pads?

    Yes, it is possible to do it with Android phone, but quite a bit of
    custom work. You can use a micro with USB host and hub. The micro
    would have to handle the ADB stack on one and VCOM on another. With
    data from the VCOM host, you can ADB push data into a ptty and pipe to
    the Android terminal emulator. It's doable, but ...

    linnix, Nov 17, 2011
  11. Tim Wescott

    linnix Guest

    On Nov 17, 2:29 pm, wrote:
    > On Nov 17, 4:18 pm, Grant Edwards <> wrote:

    > > There are terminal emulators, but they connect via TCP/IP, not
    > > USB/serial.

    > > > AFAIK they don't have USB.

    > > Yes they do, but they're slaves (devices), not masters (hosts).

    > > --
    > > Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! But they went to MARS
    > >                                   at               around 1953!!
    > >                               gmail.com

    > I thought I put a reply in here somewhere but I don't see it.
    >
    > I have looked at android tablets at DinoDirect and they seem to
    > provide two types of cables with their devices, one for a PC USB jack
    > and one for devices.

    Having the cable doesn't mean they have the drivers for it.

    > http://www.dinodirect.com/android-2-3-tablet-pc-touch-screen-tablet-p...
    >
    > http://www.dinodirect.com/ProductImages/ProductID-563896-name-DinoPho...
    >
    > I haven't felt good enough about buying stuff from DinoDirect to
    > actually buy one yet, but I'm thinking hard about it.  I also don't
    > get why they brag that they come with Android 2.3

    AFAIK, 2.3 does not have host support.

    > and I see that
    > Android 3.x is available.

    3.X does

    >  Is the version of Android important?

    Yes.

    > Are the devices easily upgraded?

    Not really.

    linnix, Nov 17, 2011
  12. On 2011-11-17, Tim Wescott <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 21:18:57 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

    >> There are terminal emulators, but they connect via TCP/IP, not
    >> USB/serial.
    >>
    >>> AFAIK they don't have USB.

    >> Yes they do, but they're slaves (devices), not masters (hosts).

    > Even iPads? iPods are certainly slave devices.

    There's something called a "camera connector" that lets you copy
    photos from a camera (presumably acting as a USB mass-storage device)
    to an iP[oa]d. Not sure if the iPad is acting as a USB host or if the
    "connector" is a host that transfers data from one device to another.
    I get the impression it might be the latter.

    Here's the official Apple blurb:

    The iPod Camera Connector's USB port can only be used to connect
    supported cameras and media readers. You cannot use it to connect
    other USB devices such as a mouse, keyboard, hub, or printer. iPod
    Camera Connector is a low power port and it cannot charge another
    iPod, iPod mini, or iPod shuffle. While an iPod photo with an
    attached iPod Camera Connector may recognize another iPod if you
    connect it, transferring photos from one iPod to another is not
    supported.

    Google did find this thingy:

    http://www.deals2buy.com/deals/197w7wn2-hdmi--usb-host-adapter-for-ipad-2ipadiphone-4ipod-t

    > Do you know about iPhones?

    Same as an iPod/iPod as far as I've been able to google.

    > For that matter -- what about typical Android phones and pads?

    Dunno. My _guess_ is that something like that under Andriod is much
    more likely since Android devices tend to be a _lot_ more expandable
    and less locked-down than iOS devices.

    --
    Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Thousands of days of
    at civilians ... have produced

    Grant Edwards, Nov 17, 2011
  13. Tim Wescott

    hamilton Guest

    On 11/17/2011 12:39 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
    > I'm thinking of doing some hobby electronics design, to augment my
    > already busy professional schedule (I like punishment).
    >
    > The gizmo I'm thinking of building would be used out in the field, by
    > folks who wouldn't always have laptops or wouldn't want to spring for
    > them.
    >
    > My preference would be to build the gizmo with a USB interface, set up as
    > a modem so that I could just talk to it with a terminal program. But I
    > can see some potential users wanting to do this with a separate terminal.
    >
    > So -- is there anything already made that consists of nothing more than a
    > USB host with a terminal, and is reasonably cheap? Preferably it would
    > be something that's already sold, that I could just point people to, and
    > preferably it'd retail for less than $100. Or should I be thinking of
    > either not serving that population (since I mostly want to make these for
    > me), or making the thing spit out old-style asynchronous serial?
    >
    > Suggestions welcome.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/STM32-STM32...lectrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item2eb50e7242

    * 2 mini-type USB socket, support for USB OTG, USB OTG transfer cable

    hamilton, Nov 18, 2011
  14. Tim Wescott

    linnix Guest

    On Nov 17, 3:30 pm, Grant Edwards <> wrote:
    > On 2011-11-17, Tim Wescott <> wrote:

    > >> There are terminal emulators, but they connect via TCP/IP, not
    > >> USB/serial.

    > >> Yes they do, but they're slaves (devices), not masters (hosts).

    > > Even iPads?  iPods are certainly slave devices.

    > There's something called a "camera connector" that lets you copy
    > photos from a camera (presumably acting as a USB mass-storage device)
    > to an iP[oa]d.  Not sure if the iPad is acting as a USB host or if the
    > "connector" is a host that transfers data from one device to another.
    > I get the impression it might be the latter.
    >
    > Here's the official Apple blurb:
    >
    >   The iPod Camera Connector's USB port can only be used to connect
    >   supported cameras and media readers. You cannot use it to connect
    >   other USB devices such as a mouse, keyboard, hub, or printer. iPod
    >   Camera Connector is a low power port and it cannot charge another
    >   iPod, iPod mini, or iPod shuffle. While an iPod photo with an
    >   attached iPod Camera Connector may recognize another iPod if you
    >   connect it, transferring photos from one iPod to another is not
    >   supported.
    >
    > Google did find this thingy:
    >
    >  http://www.deals2buy.com/deals/197w7wn2-hdmi--usb-host-adapter-for-ip....
    >
    > > Do you know about iPhones?

    > Same as an iPod/iPod as far as I've been able to google.

    I wonder if they provide custom OS to by-pass Apple's restriction as
    well.

    > > For that matter -- what about typical Android phones and pads?

    > Dunno.  My _guess_ is that something like that under Andriod is much
    > more likely since Android devices tend to be a _lot_ more expandable
    > and less locked-down than iOS devices.

    http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/usb/host.html

    When your Android-powered device is in USB host mode, it acts as the
    USB host, powers the bus, and enumerates connected USB devices. USB
    host mode is supported in Android 3.1 and higher.

    linnix, Nov 18, 2011
  15. Tim Wescott

    Don McKenzie Guest

    On 18-Nov-11 6:39 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:
    > I'm thinking of doing some hobby electronics design, to augment my
    > already busy professional schedule (I like punishment).
    >
    > The gizmo I'm thinking of building would be used out in the field, by
    > folks who wouldn't always have laptops or wouldn't want to spring for
    > them.

    This might be a wild card Jim, but would this work:
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olimex-duinomite-mega.html

    It has USB-OTG and Serial.
    You throw a cheap PS2 keyboard at it, and any old VGA monitor, or even a TV.

    You may need to write the driver to do what you need, but hardware wise, it is all there.

    And there are some cheaper versions that may suit, depending on your needs.

    Cheers Don...

    ===================

    --
    Don McKenzie

    Dontronics Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
    Web Camera Page: http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
    No More Damn Spam: http://www.dontronics.com/spam

    New MMBasic Computer http://www.TheMaximiteComputer.com

    These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

    Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
    "I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/simmstick-fifteen-years-on.html

    Don McKenzie, Nov 18, 2011
  16. In article <ja3to1$drc$>, d
    says...

    > On 2011-11-17, Tim Wescott <> wrote:
    > > On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 12:39:44 -0800, rickman wrote:
    > >
    > >> Not trying to be smart, but isn't that what an iPad or iPod is?
    > >> There are any number of similar android devices for under $200 and I
    > >> have seen some for around $100. I expect you only need to wait a few
    > >> months for them to be under $100. I can't imagine that with the
    > >> thousands of apps there isn't a terminal emulator already written.

    > There are terminal emulators, but they connect via TCP/IP, not
    > USB/serial.
    >
    > > AFAIK they don't have USB.

    > Yes they do, but they're slaves (devices), not masters (hosts).

    I think they're actually USB OTG ports on the IPAD and IPOD. They
    connect to your PC as a slave, but can connect to your camera as
    a host to grab the photos from the camera.

    IIRC, there's also a serial port on the IPAD connector, but Apple
    doesn't give developers the API. However, a company called RedPark
    makes a dock-connector-to-serial cable.

    http://tekcert.com/blog/2011/03/07/console-cable-your-ipad-and-iphone

    Mark Borgerson

    Mark Borgerson, Nov 18, 2011
  17. Tim Wescott

    Olaf Kaluza Guest

    Tim Wescott <> wrote:

    >So -- is there anything already made that consists of nothing more than a
    >USB host with a terminal, and is reasonably cheap? Preferably it would

    To much?:

    http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_28it/index.html?country=us&lang=en

    >either not serving that population (since I mostly want to make these for
    >me), or making the thing spit out old-style asynchronous serial?

    I dont care of other people. So whenever I like to do something this I
    buy an old palmpilot for 5Euro on ebay and use serial.

    Olaf

    Olaf Kaluza, Nov 18, 2011
  18. Tim Wescott

    Olaf Kaluza Guest

    mike <> wrote:

    >You could use a bluetooth/usb adapter on the target, but that
    >takes more smarts at the target and requires more setup.

    My new cellphone has HDMI! I dont understand the reason, it sounds
    very childish to connect a TV to a cellphone.
    But I learned that HDMI has I2C. So perhaps we have to think in this
    direction. :)

    Olaf

    Olaf Kaluza, Nov 18, 2011
  19. Tim Wescott

    linnix Guest

    On Nov 18, 9:19 am, Olaf Kaluza <> wrote:
    > mike <> wrote:
    >
    >  >You could use a bluetooth/usb adapter on the target, but that
    >  >takes more smarts at the target and requires more setup.
    >
    > My new cellphone has HDMI! I dont understand the reason, it sounds
    > very childish to connect a TV to a cellphone.

    $1000 picture frame. As long as you don't change it too often.

    > But I learned that HDMI has I2C.

    Might take several seconds to load a picture.

    linnix, Nov 18, 2011
  20. 2011-11-18 18:19, Olaf Kaluza skrev:
    > mike<> wrote:
    >
    > >You could use a bluetooth/usb adapter on the target, but that
    > >takes more smarts at the target and requires more setup.

    > My new cellphone has HDMI! I dont understand the reason, it sounds
    > very childish to connect a TV to a cellphone.
    > But I learned that HDMI has I2C. So perhaps we have to think in this
    > direction. :)
    >
    > Olaf

    Many obvious reasons for HDMI.

    Modern cellphones/pads can record Full HD video (1920 x 1080).
    Why would you want to limit yourself to watching that video
    on a 800 x 480 4.3" screen?

    If you are staying at a hotel, you can watch the video
    stored on your phone.

    I bet there are many more good reasons.

    --
    Best Regards