Info required for Core 2 Duo and Abit AB9 pro M/B overclock?

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by P Gagg, May 13, 2007.

  1. P Gagg

    P Gagg Guest

    Hi...

    During the last couple of days I have just built myself a nice new Intel Core 2 Duo
    E6600 based pc, and I have it working great, but I would like clarification of the
    settings needed to overclock the pc.

    I have already got the cpu to 2.7Ghz using 9x multiplier and 300 FSB (stock setting
    is 9 x 272 = 2.4Ghz) and have tested it ok (using Sandra Lite, and CPU Stress
    Tester) and the max temp for the cpu never goes above 50 degrees C.

    Then I tried using 8 x multiplier with 350 FSB = 2.8Ghz and the pc also worked great
    (tested again with Sandra and CPU Stress Tester) and temp never got above 51
    degrees C.

    However, CPU-Z and Sandra Lite and Speedfan all report the cpu speed as 3.1Ghz
    using these settings from the bios?

    Now I know that this is a very new M/B and therefore some programs may not be
    reporting the speeds / settings correctly, so I just wanted to clarify what settings
    other overclockers are using?

    I've read many reports that this sort of set-up should easily get over 3Ghz speeds.
    But what settings should I set in the bios, specifically for the cpu multiplier? the FSB?
    the memory (so far I have NOT changed any memory settings) and the DRam spec?
    and the core voltage? (so far I have not cahnged any voltages).

    NB: It looks like this M/B uses a 2:3 ratio for the cpu:Dram (eg: cpu clock = 300, so
    DRam = 300 / 2 = 150 x 3 = 450) and this is the bit thats confusing me, I think my
    Ram is rated at DDR2 800Mhz (400 x 2 ) so how come its running at faster than 400?

    Any info and advice would be welcomed..... thanx

    The complete PC spec is as follows:

    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 cpu (4Mb cache)
    Arctic Cooling Pro 7 fan and heatsink (also used arctic silver thermal compound)
    Abit AB9 Pro (WiFi) M/B
    2 x Gb crucial Ballistix DDR2 ram ( 2 x 1Gb chips running in dual channel mode)
    Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card (320Mb)
    Arctic 600w (modular) PSU
    Hitachi Deskstar 320Gb SATA H/D
    LG SATA DVD/CD writer
    LG 19" TFT (widescreen)
    Sony 1.44Mb FDD

    *Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/
    P Gagg, May 13, 2007

  2. P Gagg

    PG Guest

    What does the C1E function on this M/B do? (it is set to auto by
    default, but it can be disabled).

    Also, what does the thermal control bit of the bios do on this M/B? eg:
    should I have it enabled or disabled? (its enabled by default).

    Thanx

    PG, May 13, 2007

  3. P Gagg

    Fishface Guest

    P Gagg wrote:
    > NB: It looks like this M/B uses a 2:3 ratio for the cpu:Dram (eg: cpu
    > clock = 300, so DRam = 300 / 2 = 150 x 3 = 450) and this is the bit
    > thats confusing me, I think my Ram is rated at DDR2 800Mhz
    > (400 x 2 ) so how come its running at faster than 400?

    Look at your "DRAM Spec. (CPU:DRAM)" in the ĀµGuru. It seems to
    set the ratio. If it is on auto, it may be setting the ratio to other than
    1:1. On my Biostar board, I have to manually set a "System Memory
    Frequency" to 533 to get a 1:1 ratio-- how intuitive is that?!
    Fishface, May 13, 2007
  4. P Gagg

    Len Hickman Guest

    > NB: It looks like this M/B uses a 2:3 ratio for the cpu:Dram (eg: cpu
    > clock = 300, so
    > DRam = 300 / 2 = 150 x 3 = 450) and this is the bit thats confusing me, I
    > think my
    > Ram is rated at DDR2 800Mhz (400 x 2 ) so how come its running at faster
    > than 400?
    >
    > Any info and advice would be welcomed..... thanx
    >> *Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/

    You have actually answered you own question :)
    You have raised the FSB speed and the memory clock is tied to the FSB in a
    ratio of 2:3 hence the higher than rated speed.
    On my system using an E6600 at 333 FSB my memory is running at 499.5MHz.
    This gives an over clock from 2.4 to 2.997 GHz on stock cooling.
    If your BIOS allows it, lock the PCI-E bus to 100MHz to be safe, at least
    don't let it go above 115MHz or you will probably get data corruption on
    accesses to your hard disc.
    ( I found this out the hard way!)
    I have an ASUS board that allows the locked PCI-E bus speed and provides 2
    methods of setting the memory parameters. I can either tell it I'm using
    800Mhz Memory and it then sets timings accordingly or I can manualy set the
    memory timings.
    I have erred on the cautious side and told it to use 800Mhz timings.

    I have had it running stable at a FSB 354Mhz & Mem 530Mhz giving 3.2Ghz a
    33% overclock on stock cooling in a cool room! Better cooling will be
    required here for the summer.....

    Len
    Len Hickman, May 13, 2007
  5. P Gagg

    PG Guest

    Thanx for the info Len.

    Out of interest how hot is your cpu getting when clocked? mine never
    seems to go above 50 (51 max under load and around 30 at idle) but not
    sure if this is good or bad? I thought the max temp for this cpu is 65,
    so if I'm only getting to 50 then I thought that was ok.

    Thanx

    PG, May 13, 2007
  6. P Gagg

    Ed Medlin Guest

    "PG" <> wrote in message
    > Thanx for the info Len.
    >
    > Out of interest how hot is your cpu getting when clocked? mine never seems
    > to go above 50 (51 max under load and around 30 at idle) but not sure if
    > this is good or bad? I thought the max temp for this cpu is 65, so if I'm
    > only getting to 50 then I thought that was ok.
    >
    > Thanx

    Your temps are fine and very close to my liquid cooled E6600. My idle temps
    are 28-31C (ambient room at about 25C) and load temps in the high 40s. I use
    the P5N32-SLI and am having a bit of a problem with MB temps getting higher
    than my CPU temps so for the meantime I am at 2.8ghz on the CPU. I may have
    to get a water block for the northbridge and maybe do a little modding to
    get the temp down. I have had the CPU stable at 3.2ghz but didn't like the
    MB temps up near 49C. At 2.8 the MB temps are only at about 40C (what it is
    at stock speed).

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, May 14, 2007
  7. P Gagg

    Forrest Guest

    "P Gagg" <> wrote in message
    > Hi...
    >
    > During the last couple of days I have just built myself a nice new Intel
    > Core 2 Duo
    > E6600 based pc, and I have it working great, but I would like
    > clarification of the
    > settings needed to overclock the pc.
    >
    > I have already got the cpu to 2.7Ghz using 9x multiplier and 300 FSB
    > (stock setting
    > is 9 x 272 = 2.4Ghz) and have tested it ok (using Sandra Lite, and CPU
    > Stress
    > Tester) and the max temp for the cpu never goes above 50 degrees C.
    >
    > Then I tried using 8 x multiplier with 350 FSB = 2.8Ghz and the pc also
    > worked great
    > (tested again with Sandra and CPU Stress Tester) and temp never got above
    > 51
    > degrees C.
    >
    > However, CPU-Z and Sandra Lite and Speedfan all report the cpu speed as
    > 3.1Ghz
    > using these settings from the bios?
    >
    > Now I know that this is a very new M/B and therefore some programs may not
    > be
    > reporting the speeds / settings correctly, so I just wanted to clarify
    > what settings
    > other overclockers are using?
    >
    > I've read many reports that this sort of set-up should easily get over
    > 3Ghz speeds.
    > But what settings should I set in the bios, specifically for the cpu
    > multiplier? the FSB?
    > the memory (so far I have NOT changed any memory settings) and the DRam
    > spec?
    > and the core voltage? (so far I have not cahnged any voltages).
    >
    > NB: It looks like this M/B uses a 2:3 ratio for the cpu:Dram (eg: cpu
    > clock = 300, so
    > DRam = 300 / 2 = 150 x 3 = 450) and this is the bit thats confusing me, I
    > think my
    > Ram is rated at DDR2 800Mhz (400 x 2 ) so how come its running at faster
    > than 400?
    >
    > Any info and advice would be welcomed..... thanx
    >
    > The complete PC spec is as follows:
    >
    > Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 cpu (4Mb cache)
    > Arctic Cooling Pro 7 fan and heatsink (also used arctic silver thermal
    > compound)
    > Abit AB9 Pro (WiFi) M/B
    > 2 x Gb crucial Ballistix DDR2 ram ( 2 x 1Gb chips running in dual channel
    > mode)
    > Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card (320Mb)
    > Arctic 600w (modular) PSU
    > Hitachi Deskstar 320Gb SATA H/D
    > LG SATA DVD/CD writer
    > LG 19" TFT (widescreen)
    > Sony 1.44Mb FDD
    >

    > *Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/

    "Then I tried using 8 x multiplier with 350 FSB = 2.8Ghz and the pc also
    worked great
    (tested again with Sandra and CPU Stress Tester) and temp never got above 51
    degrees C."

    I have the same CPU. I also have 800 MHz ram, running at stock speed and
    voltage etc. Since you are experimenting with an "8" multiplier, give 400
    fsb a try. It will let you run your ram synchronized at 1:1 if you lock the
    ram to that speed. I ran mine all of last night under 100% load at that
    setting, which gives you a 3.2 gig speed. I'm using a Zalman's CNPS9500AT on
    the CPU and ran at stock V core voltage, (1.325). The hotter of the two
    cores only got to 60 and the second at about 57. I would guess that the room
    temp was around 72 Fahrenheit. I sure do love this chip!
    Forrest, May 16, 2007
  8. P Gagg

    P G Guest

    Thanx, I'll give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes, once again thanx
    for the info.

    :cool:

    P G, May 16, 2007
  9. P Gagg

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Try Orthos with small FFTs to get a real workout with 100% load on both
    CPUs. Each CPU should have the same temperature.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, May 17, 2007
  10. P Gagg

    Forrest Guest

    " Each CPU should have the same temperature."

    Are you sure about that, Phil? In Intel's "TAT" and other programs, my PCU
    0 is always about 4 or 5 degrees higher than CPU 1. It doesn't matter if I'm
    OCd or not.

    Forrest, May 17, 2007
  11. P Gagg

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Forrest' wrote:
    | Are you sure about that, Phil? In Intel's "TAT" and other programs, my
    PCU
    | 0 is always about 4 or 5 degrees higher than CPU 1. It doesn't matter if
    I'm
    | OCd or not.
    _____

    For my E4300 the two CPU cores have the same temperature for the TAT
    processor 100% load and for the Orthos small FFTs 100% load (within
    round-off error for the TAT temperature display.) What are the differing
    temperatures and under what loads? Have you checked the thermal compound
    application?

    Phil Weldon

    "Forrest" <> wrote in message
    |" Each CPU should have the same temperature."

    | Are you sure about that, Phil? In Intel's "TAT" and other programs, my
    PCU
    | 0 is always about 4 or 5 degrees higher than CPU 1. It doesn't matter if
    I'm
    | OCd or not.
    |

    | "Phil Weldon" <> wrote in message
    | > Try Orthos with small FFTs to get a real workout with 100% load on both
    | > CPUs. Each CPU should have the same temperature.
    | >
    | > Phil Weldon
    | >
    | > "Forrest" <> wrote in message
    | > |
    | > | "P Gagg" <> wrote in message

    | > Intel

    CPU

    | > also
    | > above

    | > as

    | > not

    | > DRam

    cpu
    | > me,
    | > faster

    | > channel

    | > | "Then I tried using 8 x multiplier with 350 FSB = 2.8Ghz and the pc
    also
    | > | worked great
    | > | (tested again with Sandra and CPU Stress Tester) and temp never got
    | > above
    | > 51
    | > | degrees C."
    | > |

    Phil Weldon, May 17, 2007
  12. P Gagg

    Forrest Guest

    No problem with temps. It runs cool ... lower 30s when not overclocked. It
    just always has a temperature difference of 3-6 degrees, depending on the
    CPU being under load or not and how much overclocked.

    Forrest, May 17, 2007
  13. P Gagg

    Forrest Guest

    Just ran across this at the EVGA forum. It talks about core 2 duo temps. I
    guess the two cores are usually different. It also says that the Intel "TAT"
    program is the stress test to use.
    http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core-Duo-Temperature-Guide-ftopict221745.html

    Forrest, May 17, 2007
  14. P Gagg

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Forest' wrote, in part:
    | Just ran across this at the EVGA forum. It talks about core 2 duo temps. I
    | guess the two cores are usually different. It also says that the Intel
    "TAT"
    | program is the stress test to use.
    _____

    I tend to distrust postings that have a high word to number ratio.

    For my E4300 / EVGA 680i motherboard system with the E4300 at 2.7 GHz and
    1.2500 v set, 1.21 reported and memory at 1:2 CPU Clock : Memory Clock ratio
    (memory at DDR2-1200 MHz) and Intel stock boxed retail heatsink fan with 23
    C room ambient
    I get the following temperature readings (from TAT.)

    Orthos small FFTs: CPU 0 rises from 40 C to 61 C
    CPU 1 rises from 40 C to 61 C
    the temperature difference between the two CPUs is never more than the
    roundoff error (+/- 1 for each) except when the velocity of change is high.

    TAT 100%: CPU 0 rises from 40 C to 69 C
    TAT 100%: CPU 1 rises from 40 C to 69 C
    the temperature difference between the two CPUs is never more than the
    roundoff error (+/- 1 for each) except when the velocity of change is high.

    An important difference between the TAT stress test and the Orthos stress
    test is that the Orthos stress test checks the results of computations, and
    will halt on incorrect results. I think that makes it more useful as a
    stability test that the stress test in TAT.

    I get the above numbers with the polling interval for TAT set to 2000 ms.

    One possibility for the different results see is that TAT is designed for
    mobile versions of the Core 2 Duo and runs a different stress test according
    to which version is detected (Yonah or Merom.) Your figures are from a 4
    MByte L2 cache Core 2 Duo while mine are from a 2 MByte L2 cache Core 2 Duo.

    One more possibility, you can start both CPUs at the same time by using the
    'Start Monitor' button at the lower right hand corner of the TAT page.

    Phil Weldon

    "Forrest" <> wrote in message

    http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core-Duo-Temperature-Guide-ftopict221745.html

    | "Phil Weldon" <> wrote in message
    | > 'Forrest' wrote:
    | > | Are you sure about that, Phil? In Intel's "TAT" and other programs,
    my
    | > PCU
    | > | 0 is always about 4 or 5 degrees higher than CPU 1. It doesn't matter
    if
    | > I'm
    | > | OCd or not.
    | > _____
    | >
    | > For my E4300 the two CPU cores have the same temperature for the TAT
    | > processor 100% load and for the Orthos small FFTs 100% load (within
    | > round-off error for the TAT temperature display.) What are the
    differing
    | > temperatures and under what loads? Have you checked the thermal
    compound
    | > application?
    | >
    | > Phil Weldon
    | >
    | > "Forrest" <> wrote in message
    | > |" Each CPU should have the same temperature."
    | > |
    | > | Are you sure about that, Phil? In Intel's "TAT" and other programs,
    my
    | > PCU
    | > | 0 is always about 4 or 5 degrees higher than CPU 1. It doesn't matter
    if
    | > I'm
    | > | OCd or not.
    | > |