    recommendations.

    --
    Edo ergo sum
    Jim, Jun 16, 2007

  2. Jim

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 12:39:03 -0500, Jim wrote
    (in article <no-F22811.10390316062007@west.100proofnews.com>):

    > Learned the hard way paper labels and DVDs don't mix. Tried the newer
    > polyester labels from Memorex but the cost works out to approximately $1
    > per label.
    >
    > Been looking at the Epson line of photo/CD/DVD inkjet printers.
    > Specifically the R800 and 1400.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any comments, experiences, anecdotal stories and
    > recommendations.

    I recently purchased an Epson R380 which does an excellent job of printing CD
    and DVD labels. In addition I'm very satisfied with the quality of photo
    printing. It takes six separate ink cartridges.

    --
    James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas .....
    TaliesinSoft, Jun 16, 2007

  3. Jim

    Gerry Guest

    Jim <> wrote:

    > Learned the hard way paper labels and DVDs don't mix. Tried the newer
    > polyester labels from Memorex but the cost works out to approximately $1
    > per label.
    >
    > Been looking at the Epson line of photo/CD/DVD inkjet printers.
    > Specifically the R800 and 1400.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any comments, experiences, anecdotal stories and
    > recommendations.

    I can't comment on the particular Epson models as I have an older Epson
    Stylus Photo 900 and a newer R260 model, both can print to CD/DVDs and
    have worked very well.

    I'm a long time user of the Discus label program and find it feature set
    an excellent tool for creating a wide variety of projects.

    A demo version can be downloaded from the Magic Mouse web site at:

    http://www.magicmouse.com/
    Gerry, Jun 16, 2007
  4. Jim

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:30:55 -0500, Jolly Roger wrote
    (in article <2007061613305543658-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>):

    > Another potential solution is to purchase a LightScribe-enabled DVD burner
    > that can print directly onto LightScribe CD/DVD media:

    Well, I suppose one can think that the LightScribe is great if you want to
    spend ten or minutes for each label which can only be monochrome, typically
    in various tones of off-brown.

    --
    James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas .....
    TaliesinSoft, Jun 16, 2007
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    In article <2007061614415643658-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > On 2007-06-16 14:00:41 -0500, TaliesinSoft <> said:
    >
    > > On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:30:55 -0500, Jolly Roger wrote
    > > (in article <2007061613305543658-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>):
    > >
    > >> Another potential solution is to purchase a LightScribe-enabled DVD burner
    > >> that can print directly onto LightScribe CD/DVD media:

    > > Well, I suppose one can think that the LightScribe is great if you want to
    > > spend ten or minutes for each label which can only be monochrome, typically
    > > in various tones of off-brown.

    > Well, I didn't say it was *great*, just a potential solution. I must
    > admit, however, I do actually think the technology behind it, and the
    > fact that no paper need be affixed to the surface, is kind of neat.
    > But yes, it's monochrome-only and has a limited palette at that.

    A friend of mine has the LightScribe. I didn't consider it because it's
    monochrome only.

    Thank you JR, James, Gerry and Spenser for your time and comments. I'm
    probably going with the R800.

    --
    Edo ergo sum
    Jim, Jun 16, 2007
  6. Jim

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:53:30 -0500, Jolly Roger wrote (in article
    <2007061616533075249-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>):

    > On 2007-06-16 15:08:58 -0500, sbt <> said:
    >
    >> Well, I have an external LaCie burner that supports LightScribe (the
    >> "Porsche" model) -- I tried LightScribe and, while it did eliminate the
    >> paper aspect, the "monochrome-only" aspect and the significantly higher
    >> media prices soured me quickly -- thus my going with the Epsons.

    > That's true; the media is usually around double the price, but you are
    > paying for convenience. Personally, I am more apt to label discs I burn if
    > I can just flip the disc over in the drive and burn the label than I would
    > if I had to put special paper in the printer, print a label out, get a
    > label application kit out, and apply the label. And like others, I've
    > never really liked the idea of attaching paper to the top surface of a
    > disc. I guess it's really just a matter of personal choice.

    In my case there is the "inconvenience" of having to burn the disk (MacBook
    Pro) with a device separate from that which labels the disk (Epson R380
    printer). The upside is that I have the ability to create elegant full color
    labels which are printed directly on the disk as opposed to printing on a
    paper label which is then subsequently attached to the disk.

    --
    James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas .....
    TaliesinSoft, Jun 16, 2007
  7. In article <2007061617163411272-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:
    >On 2007-06-16 16:59:54 -0500, TaliesinSoft <> said:
    >
    >> The upside is that I have the ability to create elegant full color
    >> labels which are printed directly on the disk as opposed to printing on a
    >> paper label which is then subsequently attached to the disk.

    >Interesting. So the disc already has a blank label attached? How much
    >more does that type of media cost compared to LightScribe media? I take
    >it the printer must be designed to print on that media as well?

    The media has a printable surface. Those discs cost a bit more
    than standard silver, but considerably less than lightscribe blanks.

    There are cheap inkjet printers that will print directly on discs.

    I just bought an Epson r260 that cost < $100.00 and does a great job.
    Claude V. Lucas, Jun 16, 2007
  8. Jim

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 17:16:34 -0500, Jolly Roger wrote (in article
    <2007061617163411272-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>):

    > On 2007-06-16 16:59:54 -0500, TaliesinSoft <> said:
    >
    >> The upside is that I have the ability to create elegant full color labels
    >> which are printed directly on the disk as opposed to printing on a paper
    >> label which is then subsequently attached to the disk.

    > Interesting. So the disc already has a blank label attached? How much
    > more does that type of media cost compared to LightScribe media? I take it
    > the printer must be designed to print on that media as well?

    The printable CD/DVDs typically come with a blank white or silver surface
    which will accept ink jet printing. As others have pointed out printers
    capable of printing on the blanks can be had for as little as $100. The
    blanks themselves cost around 35 cents each or less.

    --
    James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas .....
    TaliesinSoft, Jun 16, 2007
  9. In article <2007061613305543658-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > On 2007-06-16 12:39:03 -0500, Jim <> said:
    >
    > > Learned the hard way paper labels and DVDs don't mix. Tried the newer
    > > polyester labels from Memorex but the cost works out to approximately $1
    > > per label.
    > >
    > > Been looking at the Epson line of photo/CD/DVD inkjet printers.
    > > Specifically the R800 and 1400.
    > >
    > > I'd appreciate any comments, experiences, anecdotal stories and
    > > recommendations.

    > Another potential solution is to purchase a LightScribe-enabled DVD
    > burner that can print directly onto LightScribe CD/DVD media:
    >
    > <http://www.lightscribe.com/>

    Except that the Lightscribe printing process takes several times longer
    than burning a DVD.

    William Clark
    William A. T. Clark, Jun 17, 2007
  10. In article <no-8B4D5B.12595216062007@west.100proofnews.com>,
    Jim <> wrote:

    > In article <2007061614415643658-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>,
    > Jolly Roger <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 2007-06-16 14:00:41 -0500, TaliesinSoft <> said:
    > >
    > > > On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:30:55 -0500, Jolly Roger wrote
    > > > (in article <2007061613305543658-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>):

    > > > Well, I suppose one can think that the LightScribe is great if you want
    > > > spend ten or minutes for each label which can only be monochrome,
    > > > typically
    > > > in various tones of off-brown.

    > > Well, I didn't say it was *great*, just a potential solution. I must
    > > admit, however, I do actually think the technology behind it, and the
    > > fact that no paper need be affixed to the surface, is kind of neat.
    > > But yes, it's monochrome-only and has a limited palette at that.

    > A friend of mine has the LightScribe. I didn't consider it because it's
    > monochrome only.
    >
    > Thank you JR, James, Gerry and Spenser for your time and comments. I'm
    > probably going with the R800.

    I have been duplicating and printing DVDs fr my daughter's marching band
    parents. We have a Bravo II duplicator that does both, in batches of up
    to 50. Once you figure out its quirky software, it does a decent job,
    and you can create queues that contain several different DVDs (and
    labels) in one operation.

    Rather than try sticky labels, we bought the TDK DVDs that come with a
    label on. They seem to work fine.

    William Clark
    William A. T. Clark, Jun 17, 2007
  11. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Followup question re: Epson printers [Re: Inkjet print label direct to CD/DVD - Comments, experiences, recommendations]

    Jim <> wrote:

    > Learned the hard way paper labels and DVDs don't mix. Tried the newer
    > polyester labels from Memorex but the cost works out to approximately $1
    > per label.
    >
    > Been looking at the Epson line of photo/CD/DVD inkjet printers.
    > Specifically the R800 and 1400.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any comments, experiences, anecdotal stories and
    > recommendations.

    What is approximate life of those small cartridges? 50 disks? 100? 200?
    More less? (based on average use and NOT highest print quality)

    --
    Edo ergo sum
    Jim, Jun 18, 2007
  12. Jim

    Gerry Guest

    Re: Followup question re: Epson printers [Re: Inkjet print label direct to CD/DVD - Comments, experiences, recommendations]

    In article <no-817C09.12335618062007@west.100proofnews.com>,
    Jim <> wrote:

    > In article <no-F22811.10390316062007@west.100proofnews.com>,
    > Jim <> wrote:
    >
    > > Learned the hard way paper labels and DVDs don't mix. Tried the newer
    > > polyester labels from Memorex but the cost works out to approximately $1
    > > per label.
    > >
    > > Been looking at the Epson line of photo/CD/DVD inkjet printers.
    > > Specifically the R800 and 1400.
    > >
    > > I'd appreciate any comments, experiences, anecdotal stories and
    > > recommendations.

    > What is approximate life of those small cartridges? 50 disks? 100? 200?
    > More less? (based on average use and NOT highest print quality)

    From my experience the number of disks would be closer to 200,
    definitely more than 100.
    Gerry, Jun 18, 2007