Inspiron 1000 not seeing additional memory

Discussion in 'Dell' started by GBacon, May 8, 2009.

1. GBacon

GBacon

Hi,
    I'm checking out my son's Dell Inspiron 1000 (I know it is old) which is supposed to have 512 Mb memory in it - 256 Mb soldered in and 256Mb on a card (Infineon, HYS64D32020GDL-6-8, 32Mx64 SDRAM, PC2700S-2533-O-A1).

While investigating poor performance, I noticed that the memory in use is 256 Mb i.e. just the soldered in memory (I proved this by removing the extra card).

Googling implied that while the 1000 is limited to 512Mb maximum, it will take larger cards - I tried a Kingston 512Mb (PC2700, 266 MHz, SODIMM 200 pin) but this was not recognised by the bios.

I have now tried a replacement card with the same details as the original Infineon part but again this is not recognised in the bios.

The bios is the latest version (A08) provided by Dell i.e I can't upgrade it to a later version.
    Obviously, if the bios can't see the memory, there is no way that XP can use it!

The bios is very limited and doesn't provide an option to redetect devices etc.

I doubt that all these memory cards are faulty (but obviously can't prove it at this point!).

Does anyone have any ideas about why the memory isn't detected and/or what I can do to fix it (other than buy a new laptop).

The laptop passes all diagnostics and the drivers are up to date (apart from SIS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller and SIS PCI-IDE Controller - I don't believe that these have anything to do with the problem).

Many thanks for reading this.
    Geoff

GBacon, May 8, 2009
  2. GBacon

halkirk

Dell Inspiron 1000 not seeing additional memory

Greetings Geoff,

Just wondered whether or not you were able to find a solution to the memory not being recongized on the Dell Inspiron 1000?
    I've got the same problem and was hopeful that I could find out what others did to make things work. Please advise if you get a chance to.Thanks in advance!

Halkirk

halkirk, Oct 14, 2009
  3. GBacon

GBacon

Halkirk,

I'm sorry I can't be any help as I didn't get anywhere (no one gave any suggestions).

In the end, I sold the extra memory on eBay (for more than I paid for it). The laptop is still in use but only occasionally and mainly for playing DVDs.

Best of luck
    Geoff

GBacon, Oct 16, 2009
  4. GBacon

tc2015

The Dell inspiron with a A08 BIOS will recognize a total of 1.25Gb of RAM, 256MB n board, and a 1GB socketted SODIMM. If it doesn't recognize it, you have the wrong RAM type or chip config on the SODIMM. This RAM for sure works http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002821X4?
    (ACP-EP Memory 1GB PC2700 200-PIN DDR 333MHz SODIMM (PC))
    It was $7.90 delivered in 2/2016.
    Allowed me to load Windows 7 on the machine and dump XP and all it's warnings. Good for another few years until they dump Win7 and start nagging us that it's done. I also configured a dedicated 4GB swap partition on the first 4GB (the fast end) of the 250GB drive (only 135GB will be recognized due to the BIOS or ATA chipset) and I set up a Verbatim 32GB USB 3 NANO thumb drive as a 4GB ready boost swap file as well (FAT32 worked the fastest for the thumbdrive format). Now I have an additional 28GB of pretty fast storage.
    The i1000's USB ports are only USB 2 but the USB3 thumb drives do perform better in USB2 slots from my testing, and heck, they are only $12/32GB at MicroCenter these days. The Toshiba and Transcend thumbs are faster but since it's only USB 2 hardware, I opted for the super tiny "always connected" NANO thumbdrive size for this machine. It's going back to mom and dad's as a 2nd den machine for checking email and light duty internet use. This machine will just barely stream youtube videos BTW.
    Had Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on it for 3 years when it only had 512MB in it, and that was a snappy OS but the browser performance was no better and I suspect with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS as a minimum upgrade now it would be the same as the win7 performance with more hassle and driver problems. (power save modes usually aren't supported well on these old machines)

tc2015, Feb 25, 2016
Ask a Question