    Anyone know how I can configure the touchpad so that the scroll bars
    (horizontal and vertical)work?

    TIA
    Boris, Sep 2, 2011

  2. Boris

    BillW50 Guest

    On 9/2/2011 1:22 AM, Boris wrote:
    > The scroll bars on my Inspiron 1420 don't work. The touchpad, otherwise
    > works just fine. I've read that to configure the touchpad, I have to go to
    > the control panel/devices and select keyboard, but there is no keyboard
    > selection there. Device manager shows standard PS/2 keyboard, and HID.
    >
    > Besides the keyboard and touchpad, I use a Logitech wireless mouse.
    >
    > Anyone know how I can configure the touchpad so that the scroll bars
    > (horizontal and vertical)work?
    >
    > TIA

    No not the keyboard, but use the mouse icon instead. That is where the
    settings for the touchpad is.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0
    BillW50, Sep 2, 2011

  3. Boris

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Sep 2, 2:22 am, Boris <> wrote:
    > The scroll bars on my Inspiron 1420 don't work.  The touchpad, otherwise
    > works just fine.  I've read that to configure the touchpad, I have to go to
    > the control panel/devices and select keyboard, but there is no keyboard
    > selection there.  Device manager shows standard PS/2 keyboard, and HID.
    >
    > Besides the keyboard and touchpad, I use a Logitech wireless mouse.
    >
    > Anyone know how I can configure the touchpad so that the scroll bars
    > (horizontal and vertical)work?
    >
    > TIA

    Are any additional drivers required for full support of the Inspiron
    1420 touchpad? ... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Sep 2, 2011
  4. Boris

    Boris Guest

    BillW50 <> wrote in news:j3qi03$mll$:

    > On 9/2/2011 1:22 AM, Boris wrote:
    >> The scroll bars on my Inspiron 1420 don't work. The touchpad,
    >> otherwise works just fine. I've read that to configure the touchpad,
    >> I have to go to the control panel/devices and select keyboard, but
    >> there is no keyboard selection there. Device manager shows standard
    >> PS/2 keyboard, and HID.
    >>
    >> Besides the keyboard and touchpad, I use a Logitech wireless mouse.
    >>
    >> Anyone know how I can configure the touchpad so that the scroll bars
    >> (horizontal and vertical)work?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > No not the keyboard, but use the mouse icon instead. That is where the
    > settings for the touchpad is.

    From the Dell 1420 User's Manual:

    Customizing the Touch Pad
    You can use the Mouse Properties window to disable the touch pad or adjust
    the touch pad settings.
    1 Click Start , and then click Control Panel.
    2 Click Hardware and Sound.
    3 Click Keyboard.
    4 In the Mouse Properties window:
    • Click the Device Select tab to disable the touch pad.
    • Click the Touch Pad tab to adjust touch pad settings.
    5 Click OK to save the settings and close the window.

    I don't have a Keyboard selection, but I do have a Mouse selection, but
    once there, there is no Device selection, just the standard Mouse
    Properties tab settings.

    Ben mentions touchpad drivers. The Dell site does have one, listed as
    optional. Thinking this Dell driver may be 'too' generic, and wanting to
    know who made the touchpad, I looked at the shipping order for this
    machine, and all through the Device Manager, to see who manufactured the
    touchpad, but just no mention of a touchpad anywhere.

    Think I'll try the Dell driver, and see what happens. That may give me the
    touchpad settings applet that may work.

    Thanks to you and Ben.
    Boris, Sep 2, 2011
  5. Boris

    Boris Guest

    Ben Myers <> wrote in

    > On Sep 2, 2:22 am, Boris <> wrote:
    >> The scroll bars on my Inspiron 1420 don't work.  The touchpad,
    >> otherwis

    >> works just fine.  I've read that to configure the touchpad, I have to

    > o to
    >> the control panel/devices and select keyboard, but there is no
    >> keyboard selection there.  Device manager shows standard PS/2
    >> keyboard, and HID.
    >>
    >> Besides the keyboard and touchpad, I use a Logitech wireless mouse.
    >>
    >> Anyone know how I can configure the touchpad so that the scroll bars
    >> (horizontal and vertical)work?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Are any additional drivers required for full support of the Inspiron
    > 1420 touchpad? ... Ben Myers

    That was it!

    I installed the optional Dell Touchpad/Pointing Stick driver. Once
    installed, Dell Alps Touchpad showed up in all the right places.
    Settings are accomplished by (this is a Win 7):

    Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Mouse, and at this point the Dell
    driver has added an additional tab to the Mouse Properties applet,
    called "Dell Touchpad". All the settings are found within. Now all the
    touchpad scrolling works as it should.

    Thanks guys.
    Boris, Sep 2, 2011