Inspiron 6400 bad thermistors?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ron Hardin, Jan 22, 2007.

  1. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Ok, in the slow-boot Inspiron saga, I put both of my I6400's, one
    a month old, one two weeks, in an unheated bedroom (48 F) for an
    hour and ran the diagnostic CD custom test on the thermal sensors.

    CPU Thermistor - Sensor range Test
    Test Results: Fail
    Error Code 3900:0626
    Msg: Temperature sensor out of range temp=0C min=10C max=100C

    ditto for
    Other Thermistor
    Video Thermistor
    SODIMM Thermistor

    except these three reported temp=255C

    which probably accounts for the fan on.

    The theory is that the CPU and/or memory and/or cache gets throttled
    and the whole thing runs extremely slowly, and that's why you don't
    get a desktop for ten minutes.

    Since 2 recent 6400's both failed, I'd assume that they all do.

    A software fix would seem to be easy. Don't believe 255C at bootup.

    --
    Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin, Jan 22, 2007

  2. Ron Hardin

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Ron Hardin" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, in the slow-boot Inspiron saga, I put both of my I6400's, one
    > a month old, one two weeks, in an unheated bedroom (48 F) for an
    > hour and ran the diagnostic CD custom test on the thermal sensors.
    >
    > CPU Thermistor - Sensor range Test
    > Test Results: Fail
    > Error Code 3900:0626
    > Msg: Temperature sensor out of range temp=0C min=10C max=100C
    >
    > ditto for
    > Other Thermistor
    > Video Thermistor
    > SODIMM Thermistor
    >
    > except these three reported temp=255C
    >
    > which probably accounts for the fan on.
    >
    > The theory is that the CPU and/or memory and/or cache gets throttled
    > and the whole thing runs extremely slowly, and that's why you don't
    > get a desktop for ten minutes.
    >
    > Since 2 recent 6400's both failed, I'd assume that they all do.
    >
    > A software fix would seem to be easy. Don't believe 255C at bootup.
    >
    > --
    > Ron Hardin
    >

    > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

    Since you recently purchased both and both apparently failed (Dell)
    installed diagnostics, you'd be calling Dell to get the problem repaired by
    explaining what you've done and providing this exact fail code to the tech
    on the phone/chat/or e-mail.

    In my experience, giving them that specific fail code is enough to avoid any
    scripted questions and expedite onsite hardware replacement or a mail in
    service call.

    Good luck.

    Stew
    S.Lewis, Jan 22, 2007

  3. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    S.Lewis wrote:

    > "Ron Hardin" <> wrote in message
    > > Ok, in the slow-boot Inspiron saga, I put both of my I6400's, one
    > > a month old, one two weeks, in an unheated bedroom (48 F) for an
    > > hour and ran the diagnostic CD custom test on the thermal sensors.
    > >
    > > CPU Thermistor - Sensor range Test
    > > Test Results: Fail
    > > Error Code 3900:0626
    > > Msg: Temperature sensor out of range temp=0C min=10C max=100C
    > >
    > > ditto for
    > > Other Thermistor
    > > Video Thermistor
    > > SODIMM Thermistor
    > >
    > > except these three reported temp=255C
    > >
    > > which probably accounts for the fan on.
    > >
    > > The theory is that the CPU and/or memory and/or cache gets throttled
    > > and the whole thing runs extremely slowly, and that's why you don't
    > > get a desktop for ten minutes.
    > >
    > > Since 2 recent 6400's both failed, I'd assume that they all do.
    > >
    > > A software fix would seem to be easy. Don't believe 255C at bootup.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ron Hardin
    > >

    > > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

    > Since you recently purchased both and both apparently failed (Dell)
    > installed diagnostics, you'd be calling Dell to get the problem repaired by
    > explaining what you've done and providing this exact fail code to the tech
    > on the phone/chat/or e-mail.
    >
    > In my experience, giving them that specific fail code is enough to avoid any
    > scripted questions and expedite onsite hardware replacement or a mail in
    > service call.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Stew

    Well, replacement is an option; I'd rather keep the machines and get a software
    fix, I've spent so long getting them set up the way I wanted.

    It would seem that you could ignore a temp of 255C on bootup pretty safely, if
    that's all it takes. The things operate beautifully otherwise.

    --
    Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin, Jan 22, 2007
  4. Ron Hardin

    Jay B Guest

    foolish to not call dell, give them the error codes, and tlet them fix
    the problem.
    you can always pop out the harddrive if you dont trust them.
    they shouldnt need it to fix that problem.

    Jay B, Jan 22, 2007
  5. Ron Hardin

    Guest

    I haven't followed the saga too closely, but it often pays to look in
    the bios revision history, if you haven't already done so. See below.

    Ron Hardin wrote:
    > Ok, in the slow-boot Inspiron saga, I put both of my I6400's, one
    > a month old, one two weeks, in an unheated bedroom (48 F) for an
    > hour and ran the diagnostic CD custom test on the thermal sensors.
    >
    > CPU Thermistor - Sensor range Test
    > Test Results: Fail
    > Error Code 3900:0626
    > Msg: Temperature sensor out of range temp=0C min=10C max=100C
    >
    > ditto for
    > Other Thermistor
    > Video Thermistor
    > SODIMM Thermistor
    >
    > except these three reported temp=255C
    >
    > which probably accounts for the fan on.
    >
    > The theory is that the CPU and/or memory and/or cache gets throttled
    > and the whole thing runs extremely slowly, and that's why you don't
    > get a desktop for ten minutes.
    >
    > Since 2 recent 6400's both failed, I'd assume that they all do.
    >
    > A software fix would seem to be easy. Don't believe 255C at bootup.
    >
    > --
    > Ron Hardin
    >

    > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...=1&vercnt=6&formatcnt=1&libid=1&fileid=191473
    Latest is a12.

    Click the "other versions" link, to browse older revisions.

    BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
    A11
    1. Thermal control enhancement.

    BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
    A08

    Enhancements
    6. Update thermal control.

    BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
    A07

    Enhancements
    ------------
    1. Improve system performance.
    , Jan 22, 2007
  6. Ron Hardin

    Boris Guest

    Ron Hardin <> wrote in

    > Ok, in the slow-boot Inspiron saga, I put both of my I6400's, one
    > a month old, one two weeks, in an unheated bedroom (48 F) for an
    > hour and ran the diagnostic CD custom test on the thermal sensors.
    >
    > CPU Thermistor - Sensor range Test
    > Test Results: Fail
    > Error Code 3900:0626
    > Msg: Temperature sensor out of range temp=0C min=10C max=100C
    >
    > ditto for
    > Other Thermistor
    > Video Thermistor
    > SODIMM Thermistor
    >
    > except these three reported temp=255C
    >
    > which probably accounts for the fan on.
    >
    > The theory is that the CPU and/or memory and/or cache gets throttled
    > and the whole thing runs extremely slowly, and that's why you don't
    > get a desktop for ten minutes.
    >
    > Since 2 recent 6400's both failed, I'd assume that they all do.
    >
    > A software fix would seem to be easy. Don't believe 255C at bootup.

    Hi, Ron,

    I've been following this saga in all the different threads, and have also
    seen you over on microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support.

    I'm interested because you got two 6400s with this problem, yet I haven't
    seem anyone else on this Dell newsgroup report the same problem. I just
    bought a 6400 for my mother- and father-in-law, and it's been running
    fine since December 26. I ordered another 6400 for myself four days ago,
    and it was shipped today. My sister-in-law would like me to order one
    for her this week, and another friend would like me to recommend (and
    probably order) a laptop for him.

    In your searching for answers to help you troubleshoot and nail down the
    cause of the machine's hour long wait to get up to speed, have you heard
    of any others having this incorrect temperature reporting problem?

    Thanks
    Boris, Jan 22, 2007
  7. Hi!

    > A software fix would seem to be easy. Don't believe 255C at bootup.

    That's easy enough to do, but the underlying problem really must be
    corrected. If that sensor is reporting a "pegged" reading, then it isn't
    working. There's no way for the computer to know if it is really overheating
    or if the sensor has failed. I'd even hazard a guess that the computer
    *knows* the reading is out of range and therefore bogus...and it's just
    holding the clock speeds down for safety's sake since it can't tell what the
    real temperature is.

    If the computer overheated while its BIOS was ignoring the sensors, severe
    damage to the internals and case could occur. In the worst case, you might
    start a fire indirectly. That's why the sensor and downclocking feature are
    present.

    If you were to try swapping the computers under warranty, you might be able
    to keep the hard drives by arranging something with Dell.

    William (whose Latitude D800 has shut down a few times by itself with the
    lid closed for long periods of time...)
    William R. Walsh, Jan 22, 2007
  8. Ron Hardin

    Spam Trapper Guest

    I'm using an Inspiron E1505 with BIOS Rev. 12 and am not having any of
    the thermal problems that are being described. It could be that paulmd
    has found the fix. Suggest you try updating your BIOS to Rev. 12 to
    see if it fixes the problem.

    Spam Trapper, Jan 22, 2007
  9. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Boris wrote:

    > Ron Hardin <> wrote in
    >
    > > Ok, in the slow-boot Inspiron saga, I put both of my I6400's, one
    > > a month old, one two weeks, in an unheated bedroom (48 F) for an
    > > hour and ran the diagnostic CD custom test on the thermal sensors.
    > >
    > > CPU Thermistor - Sensor range Test
    > > Test Results: Fail
    > > Error Code 3900:0626
    > > Msg: Temperature sensor out of range temp=0C min=10C max=100C
    > >
    > > ditto for
    > > Other Thermistor
    > > Video Thermistor
    > > SODIMM Thermistor
    > >
    > > except these three reported temp=255C
    > >
    > > which probably accounts for the fan on.
    > >
    > > The theory is that the CPU and/or memory and/or cache gets throttled
    > > and the whole thing runs extremely slowly, and that's why you don't
    > > get a desktop for ten minutes.
    > >
    > > Since 2 recent 6400's both failed, I'd assume that they all do.
    > >
    > > A software fix would seem to be easy. Don't believe 255C at bootup.
    > >

    > Hi, Ron,
    >
    > I've been following this saga in all the different threads, and have also
    > seen you over on microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support.
    >
    > I'm interested because you got two 6400s with this problem, yet I haven't
    > seem anyone else on this Dell newsgroup report the same problem. I just
    > bought a 6400 for my mother- and father-in-law, and it's been running
    > fine since December 26. I ordered another 6400 for myself four days ago,
    > and it was shipped today. My sister-in-law would like me to order one
    > for her this week, and another friend would like me to recommend (and
    > probably order) a laptop for him.
    >
    > In your searching for answers to help you troubleshoot and nail down the
    > cause of the machine's hour long wait to get up to speed, have you heard
    > of any others having this incorrect temperature reporting problem?
    >
    > Thanks

    What may not be common is a cold room. The newer one has been very good
    since I moved it to a corner of the room that's a little warmer, an accidental
    realization.

    Both fail solidly at 48 degrees, the temp of my unheated bedroom today. Try
    leaving yours in that temp for an hour and try bringing it up.

    Downstairs where the machines are runs around 58 degrees in the morning,
    which I guess is marginally okay for both, but the one some mornings gets
    hit by it.

    A Dell Forums thread ``Inspiron 6400 slow startup'' has a few people with
    the exact problem.

    --
    Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin, Jan 22, 2007
  10. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Spam Trapper
    wrote:>http://support.dell.com/support/dow...E1505&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=10430&devlib=0&t
    > >Latest is a12.
    > >
    > >Click the "other versions" link, to browse older revisions.
    > >
    > >BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
    > >A11
    > >1. Thermal control enhancement.
    > >

    > >BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
    > >A08
    > >
    > >Enhancements
    > >6. Update thermal control.
    > >

    > >BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
    > >A07
    > >

    > >Enhancements
    > >------------
    > >1. Improve system performance.

    Mine are both A10. What's involved in upgrading the BIOS? It sounds like something
    that will leave you dead in the water if it doens't work ; the thread at Dell Formus
    said it didn't help the problem, and furthermore the machine didn't work with the
    new BIOS, which is not reassuring, so they had to upgrade back.

    --
    Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin, Jan 22, 2007
  11. Ron Hardin

    Guest

    Ron Hardin wrote:
    > Spam Trapper
    > wrote:>http://support.dell.com/support/dow...E1505&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=10430&devlib=0&t
    > > >Latest is a12.
    > > >
    > > >Click the "other versions" link, to browse older revisions.
    > > >
    > > >BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
    > > >A11
    > > >1. Thermal control enhancement.
    > > >

    > > >BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
    > > >A08
    > > >
    > > >Enhancements
    > > >6. Update thermal control.
    > > >

    > > >BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
    > > >A07
    > > >

    > > >Enhancements
    > > >------------
    > > >1. Improve system performance.

    > Mine are both A10. What's involved in upgrading the BIOS? It sounds like something
    > that will leave you dead in the water if it doens't work ; the thread at Dell Formus
    > said it didn't help the problem, and furthermore the machine didn't work with the
    > new BIOS, which is not reassuring, so they had to upgrade back.

    The 'leave you dead in the water' events are VERY rare. Besides, the
    Dell Phone tech suggested it TOO :). Downgrading the BIOS is easy
    enough, but having to downgrade is very rare.

    The one Dead in the water event on this forum i recall seeing, Dell
    replaced the motherboard under warranty.

    Anyway, the procedure is simple enough
    *Go to support.dell.com
    *enter your service tag or model number
    *Select your Operating system
    *click the link that says "flashBios updates"
    *Download and run the program
    *follow the prompts, and don't reset or power down your systems while
    the upgrade is happening. In fact, if you're the nervous type, just
    walk away for five or ten minutes. (it averages about 1 minute)

    *You might have to reset the time and date, but I've not had to do this
    on any recent Dell.

    The alternate theory on your systems is that you either have a whole
    lot of dead temperature sensors, or there's a short somewhere, or SOME
    bad component. IN which case, get the board replaced under warranty.
    Don't put up with it.

    > --
    > Ron Hardin
    >

    > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.
    , Jan 22, 2007
  12. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Re: Inspiron 6400 bad thermistors? (FIXED)

    I had the V10 BIOS. Upgrading to V12 fixed it.

    I cooled down both 6400's as before in the unheated bedroom, to 48 F.
    Both booted properly; the diagnostics on each passed all but the
    CPU thermistor, which continued to show an out-of-range 0C (legal
    is 10C-100C).

    However the other 3 thermistors, that had failed on 255C, all passed
    (no message, but probably they're ignoring 255C).

    The cold thermistor wasn't a problem, so the systems work fine now.

    Maybe one day they'll clean the CPU thermistor diagnostic.
    --
    Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin, Jan 22, 2007
  13. Ron Hardin

    Spam Trapper Guest

    I agree with paulmd. I have upgraded the BIOS on several of my home
    PCs and never had a problem. Not to say that it is impossible to
    "brick" your PC but it is very unlikely. Especially since it is a
    laptop and you can both plug it in and have a battery built-in in case
    the power should go out during the flash.

    Spam Trapper, Jan 22, 2007
  14. Ron Hardin

    Dan Guest

    It's interesting that you said this, I've had bad thermal sensors on
    some brand-new out-of-the-box Dimension E520's. Dell sends everything
    but the motherboard. Maybe Dell got a bad batch of thermal sensors?

    So some reported a temp of 0 and other 255? sounds like a definite
    8-bit failure somewhere ;)

    Dan

    Dan, Jan 23, 2007
  15. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin wrote:
    > I had the V10 BIOS. Upgrading to V12 fixed it.
    >
    > I cooled down both 6400's as before in the unheated bedroom, to 48 F.
    > Both booted properly; the diagnostics on each passed all but the
    > CPU thermistor, which continued to show an out-of-range 0C (legal
    > is 10C-100C).
    >
    > However the other 3 thermistors, that had failed on 255C, all passed
    > (no message, but probably they're ignoring 255C).

    Could be that hes other 3 temeperaure sensors just don't exist.

    > The cold thermistor wasn't a problem, so the systems work fine now.
    >
    > Maybe one day they'll clean the CPU thermistor diagnostic.

    Maybe they did.
    Dell 32-bit Diagnostics Utility Partition Contents Upgrade Tool

    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...1&vercnt=1&formatcnt=1&libid=13&fileid=173571

    In case the previous link doesn't work

    http://ftp.us.dell.com/diags/DDUP1277.exe
    , Jan 23, 2007
  16. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin wrote:
    > I had the V10 BIOS. Upgrading to V12 fixed it.
    >
    > I cooled down both 6400's as before in the unheated bedroom, to 48 F.
    > Both booted properly; the diagnostics on each passed all but the
    > CPU thermistor, which continued to show an out-of-range 0C (legal
    > is 10C-100C).
    >
    > However the other 3 thermistors, that had failed on 255C, all passed
    > (no message, but probably they're ignoring 255C).

    Could be that hes other 3 temeperaure sensors just don't exist.

    > The cold thermistor wasn't a problem, so the systems work fine now.
    >
    > Maybe one day they'll clean the CPU thermistor diagnostic.

    Maybe they did.
    Dell 32-bit Diagnostics Utility Partition Contents Upgrade Tool

    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...1&vercnt=1&formatcnt=1&libid=13&fileid=173571

    In case the previous link doesn't work

    http://ftp.us.dell.com/diags/DDUP1277.exe
    , Jan 23, 2007
  17. Ron Hardin

    wrote:
    > Maybe they did.
    > Dell 32-bit Diagnostics Utility Partition Contents Upgrade Tool

    Adding linux and the grub loader for some reason makes the HD diagnostics not work;
    I have to use the drivers and diagnostics CD instead.

    The diagnostics are still there and start, but can't continue past the first screen,
    encountering grub instead.

    Fortunately Dell now supplies the CD.

    --
    Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin, Jan 23, 2007
  18. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Dan wrote:

    > It's interesting that you said this, I've had bad thermal sensors on
    > some brand-new out-of-the-box Dimension E520's. Dell sends everything
    > but the motherboard. Maybe Dell got a bad batch of thermal sensors?

    The Dell forums thread had somebody with the problem whose I6400 had
    been working all summer and ``suddenly'' started getting this, so
    maybe it's more than recent, and more a matter of whether your machine
    gets cold.

    --
    Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin, Jan 23, 2007
  19. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Maybe they did.
    > > Dell 32-bit Diagnostics Utility Partition Contents Upgrade Tool

    > Adding linux and the grub loader for some reason makes the HD diagnostics not work;
    > I have to use the drivers and diagnostics CD instead.
    >
    > The diagnostics are still there and start, but can't continue past the first screen,
    > encountering grub instead.
    >
    > Fortunately Dell now supplies the CD.

    Oh well, Glad your laptops work better anyway.

    It would be nice if Dell offered their diagnostics on an ISO cd image.
    Too many people nuke their utility partition.
    , Jan 23, 2007
  20. Ron Hardin

    Tom Scales Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Ron Hardin wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >> > Maybe they did.
    >> > Dell 32-bit Diagnostics Utility Partition Contents Upgrade Tool

    >> Adding linux and the grub loader for some reason makes the HD diagnostics
    >> not work;
    >> I have to use the drivers and diagnostics CD instead.
    >>
    >> The diagnostics are still there and start, but can't continue past the
    >> first screen,
    >> encountering grub instead.
    >>
    >> Fortunately Dell now supplies the CD.
    >>

    > Oh well, Glad your laptops work better anyway.
    >
    > It would be nice if Dell offered their diagnostics on an ISO cd image.
    > Too many people nuke their utility partition.

    Uh, they do. The resource CD.

    It's bootable and when you boot it, up comes the diagnostics
    Tom Scales, Jan 23, 2007