    bootable thumb drive.
    Has anyone successfully booted this machine from an external optical
    drive?
    GTS, Feb 1, 2009

  2. GTS

    GTS Guest

    Good question. A Dell XP OEM (BIOS locked) CD can generally be used with
    any Dell and doesn't require MS activation. I guess it does prompt for
    the key though and that could be a problem. My reason for looking to the
    Dell version was to save my customer money if it could legitimately be used.

    GTS, Feb 1, 2009

  3. GTS

    GTS Guest

    Thanks. Good point about the drive size. I'll have to check that. If it
    is the 4GB that would be a problem. Thanks for the info. re. OSX. That's
    interesting new to to me though I suspect my customer won't want to go that
    route.

    GTS, Feb 1, 2009
  4. GTS

    Ben Myers Guest

    GTS wrote:
    > Good question. A Dell XP OEM (BIOS locked) CD can generally be used
    > with any Dell and doesn't require MS activation. I guess it does
    > prompt for the key though and that could be a problem. My reason for
    > looking to the Dell version was to save my customer money if it could
    > legitimately be used.
    > --
    >
    > "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message
    >> I don't have one, but did have a question. How would you get a Product
    >> key for the Dell version of XP for the 910? You can't buy it
    >> separately. Or are you buying a full retail pack and just thought the
    >> Dell version would be easier?
    >>
    >> Just curious.

    That's not the point. Sure a Dell XP can be installed on most any Dell
    computer with a Dell BIOS and it will not require activation. But to do
    so legally, not in violation of Microsoft copyrights, requires a legit
    and otherwise unused XP sticker to match the version (Home or Pro or
    Media Center) of XP installed. I know that some people do not give a
    damn about violating Microsoft copyrights, but they do have a copyright
    on XP, no matter how badly it has performed in the old days of XP before
    SP1... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Feb 2, 2009