    on the 500GB drive are set correctly. Seagates Q&A doesnt supply any
    info thats usable. Any suggestions on where to go from here?.

    , Feb 16, 2008

  2. Clas Mehus Guest

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 07:44:02 -0800, wrote:

    >I'M running a system with ASUS Commando MB and am trying to install a
    >500GB Seagate SATA HD, for some reason the BIOS doesn't see it. even
    >though I've been using a 350GB Maxtor SATA HD on the system with no
    >problems. The MB has the latest BIOS installed and the jumper settings
    >on the 500GB drive are set correctly. Seagates Q&A doesnt supply any
    >info thats usable. Any suggestions on where to go from here?.

    -Does the drive spin up?
    -Tried a different cable?
    -The jumper-setting on the drive is for 1,5/3,0 Gbps SATA-setting?
    -are all ports enabled in BIOS? Are you using the SATA-controller
    connected to the motherboards chipset?

    --
    Clas Mehus
    - "Den som har flest prylar när han dör vinner..."

    Clas Mehus, Feb 16, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:33:55 +0100, Clas Mehus <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 07:44:02 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >>I'M running a system with ASUS Commando MB and am trying to install a
    >>500GB Seagate SATA HD, for some reason the BIOS doesn't see it. even
    >>though I've been using a 350GB Maxtor SATA HD on the system with no
    >>problems. The MB has the latest BIOS installed and the jumper settings
    >>on the 500GB drive are set correctly. Seagates Q&A doesnt supply any
    >>info thats usable. Any suggestions on where to go from here?.

    >-Does the drive spin up?
    >-Tried a different cable?
    >-The jumper-setting on the drive is for 1,5/3,0 Gbps SATA-setting?
    >-are all ports enabled in BIOS? Are you using the SATA-controller
    >connected to the motherboards chipset?

    I have a "Hot Swap" tray on the system so can readly swap HDs,which I
    do often, to run different operating systems. The manual states on
    page 2-29 to use SATA drive connectors 1/2/5/6 for master. I have my
    HD on one (1), and a seral DVD drive on six (6). Works fine with the
    other SATA drives I use. I'm using MB chip set SATA controller. The
    info on the 500GB SATA drive says for standard use you dont need any
    jumpers, that being said I'v e tried jumpering the HD in various
    settings to no avail. I was hopeing that some one with the same MB had
    run in to the same problem with a 500GB SATA drive. Thanks for the
    reply, though, I appreciate it.

    , Feb 16, 2008
  4. William Guest

    I don't have your MB, but I do have an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe. However, I just
    installed the same SATA HD that you have three weeks ago. Newegg has such a
    great deal on the 32meg cache version of the 500GB available and I couldn't
    pass it up.

    First, are you sure BIOS does not show the devise available? BE SURE. If
    not, then you either have no power to the HD, a bad cable, or the controller
    in the BIOS is not turned on for that sata port. Read your manual!

    Even after the HD is on-line, you will see nothing in VISTA / XP until you
    partition the HD. Have you done this? See: Control Panel - Administrative
    Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management and see if your HD is listed
    and Healthy. Perhaps you only need to partitioned the HD for use.

    Good luck.

    William

    William, Feb 16, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:30:36 -0800, "William" <>
    wrote:
    Thanks William for the post, I have a "Hot Swap" setup on the system
    and I have two other SATA HD that I swap back and forth with different
    operating system. Neither of these HD are 500GB, the bigest one is
    300GB. but both work fine so the cabling is OK. I have a hunch I'm
    missing a setting in the BIOS, but I don't know what it could be. The
    BIOS is the latest one ASUS has out

    Thanks anyway

    Dewayne

  6. Clas Mehus Guest

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:26:39 -0800, wrote:

    >I have a "Hot Swap" tray on the system so can readly swap HDs,which I
    >do often, to run different operating systems. The manual states on
    >page 2-29 to use SATA drive connectors 1/2/5/6 for master. I have my
    >HD on one (1), and a seral DVD drive on six (6). Works fine with the
    >other SATA drives I use. I'm using MB chip set SATA controller. The
    >info on the 500GB SATA drive says for standard use you dont need any
    >jumpers, that being said I'v e tried jumpering the HD in various
    >settings to no avail. I was hopeing that some one with the same MB had
    >run in to the same problem with a 500GB SATA drive. Thanks for the
    >reply, though, I appreciate it.

    The capacity should matter at all here. But with using this tray, you
    might need to limit the drive to 1,5 Gbps. This will not impact the
    performance.

    Have you tried connecting the drive without using the tray-solution?
    And does the drive spin up at all when used in the tray?

    Clas Mehus, Feb 17, 2008
  7. Het is zò dat Clas Mehus formuleerde :
    > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:26:39 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >> I have a "Hot Swap" tray on the system so can readly swap HDs,which I
    >> do often, to run different operating systems. The manual states on
    >> page 2-29 to use SATA drive connectors 1/2/5/6 for master. I have my
    >> HD on one (1), and a seral DVD drive on six (6). Works fine with the
    >> other SATA drives I use. I'm using MB chip set SATA controller. The
    >> info on the 500GB SATA drive says for standard use you dont need any
    >> jumpers, that being said I'v e tried jumpering the HD in various
    >> settings to no avail. I was hopeing that some one with the same MB had
    >> run in to the same problem with a 500GB SATA drive. Thanks for the
    >> reply, though, I appreciate it.

    > The capacity should matter at all here. But with using this tray, you
    > might need to limit the drive to 1,5 Gbps. This will not impact the
    > performance.

    A.F.A.I.K. setting the jumper to 1.5 Gbps will affect the performance
    of the drive. It will slow down the data-flow to and from the host
    controller.

    > Have you tried connecting the drive without using the tray-solution?
    > And does the drive spin up at all when used in the tray?

    André

    André, PE1PQX, Feb 17, 2008
  8. Clas Mehus Guest

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:48:02 +0100, André, PE1PQX
    <> wrote:

    >A.F.A.I.K. setting the jumper to 1.5 Gbps will affect the performance
    >of the drive. It will slow down the data-flow to and from the host
    >controller.

    In theory yes, in real world usage, no...

    Clas Mehus, Feb 17, 2008
  9. Guest

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:46:47 +0100, Clas Mehus <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:26:39 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >>I have a "Hot Swap" tray on the system so can readly swap HDs,which I
    >>do often, to run different operating systems. The manual states on
    >>page 2-29 to use SATA drive connectors 1/2/5/6 for master. I have my
    >>HD on one (1), and a seral DVD drive on six (6). Works fine with the
    >>other SATA drives I use. I'm using MB chip set SATA controller. The
    >>info on the 500GB SATA drive says for standard use you dont need any
    >>jumpers, that being said I'v e tried jumpering the HD in various
    >>settings to no avail. I was hopeing that some one with the same MB had
    >>run in to the same problem with a 500GB SATA drive. Thanks for the
    >>reply, though, I appreciate it.

    >The capacity should matter at all here. But with using this tray, you
    >might need to limit the drive to 1,5 Gbps. This will not impact the
    >performance.

    The tray should have no effect on the drive, the cableing is the same
    whether I use the tray or not, but I've tried it both ways. The drive
    spins up. I'm thinking I might have a bad drive so I intend to get a
    shop to check it .

    >Have you tried connecting the drive without using the tray-solution?
    >And does the drive spin up at all when used in the tray?

    , Feb 17, 2008
  10. Clas Mehus Guest

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 06:27:29 -0800, wrote:

    >The tray should have no effect on the drive, the cableing is the same
    >whether I use the tray or not, but I've tried it both ways. The drive
    >spins up. I'm thinking I might have a bad drive so I intend to get a
    >shop to check it .

    I think Seagate have diagnostic-tools for download on their website.
    Or, you can check if Ultimate Boot CD have the Seagate
    diagnostic-tools: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    Clas Mehus, Feb 17, 2008
  11. milleron Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Het is zò dat Clas Mehus formuleerde :
    >> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:26:39 -0800, wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a "Hot Swap" tray on the system so can readly swap HDs,which I
    >>> do often, to run different operating systems. The manual states on
    >>> page 2-29 to use SATA drive connectors 1/2/5/6 for master. I have my
    >>> HD on one (1), and a seral DVD drive on six (6). Works fine with the
    >>> other SATA drives I use. I'm using MB chip set SATA controller. The
    >>> info on the 500GB SATA drive says for standard use you dont need any
    >>> jumpers, that being said I'v e tried jumpering the HD in various
    >>> settings to no avail. I was hopeing that some one with the same MB had
    >>> run in to the same problem with a 500GB SATA drive. Thanks for the
    >>> reply, though, I appreciate it.

    >> The capacity should matter at all here. But with using this tray, you
    >> might need to limit the drive to 1,5 Gbps. This will not impact the
    >> performance.

    >A.F.A.I.K. setting the jumper to 1.5 Gbps will affect the performance
    >of the drive. It will slow down the data-flow to and from the host
    >controller.

    It affects only the burst speed, and that applies only as long as it
    takes to empty the drive's buffer -- a few milliseconds at the
    longest. After that the transfer speed is limited by how fast the
    head can read or write data from the platter spinning beneath it at
    7,200rpm, and it's orders of magnitude less than 1.5Gbs, let alone 3
    Gbs. There's no practical performance difference between 1.5Gbs and
    3Gbs drives.

    milleron, Feb 17, 2008
  12. milleron Guest

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:13:30 +0100, Clas Mehus <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 06:27:29 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >>The tray should have no effect on the drive, the cableing is the same
    >>whether I use the tray or not, but I've tried it both ways. The drive
    >>spins up. I'm thinking I might have a bad drive so I intend to get a
    >>shop to check it .

    >I think Seagate have diagnostic-tools for download on their website.
    >Or, you can check if Ultimate Boot CD have the Seagate
    >diagnostic-tools: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    Diagnostic software would be useless when the drive's not recognized
    by the BIOS, as in this case.

    milleron, Feb 17, 2008
  13. Clas Mehus Guest

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:06:15 -0500, milleron <>
    wrote:

    >Diagnostic software would be useless when the drive's not recognized
    >by the BIOS, as in this case.

    Of course... :-|

    Clas Mehus, Feb 17, 2008
  14. Clas Mehus Guest

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 06:27:29 -0800, wrote:

    >The tray should have no effect on the drive, the cableing is the same
    >whether I use the tray or not, but I've tried it both ways. The drive
    >spins up. I'm thinking I might have a bad drive so I intend to get a
    >shop to check it .

    Tried a different SATA-port on the MB?
    Possibility to try a anohter PC?

    Clas Mehus, Feb 17, 2008
  15. Dewayne Guest

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 00:38:24 +0100, Clas Mehus <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 06:27:29 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >>The tray should have no effect on the drive, the cableing is the same
    >>whether I use the tray or not, but I've tried it both ways. The drive
    >>spins up. I'm thinking I might have a bad drive so I intend to get a
    >>shop to check it .

    >Tried a different SATA-port on the MB?
    >Possibility to try a anohter PC?

    Tried different ports, tried different PCs, gave up and installed a
    300GB drive, it works fine. I didn't really need 500GB, it was on sale
    so I figured might as well go for the space. I don't know whether it
    was a bad drive, BIOS problem or what. I was hoping by the post that I
    would catch someone with the same system running a 500GB drive and we
    could compare BIOS setting, etc. I could have probably installed a PCI
    seral card and fixed the problem, who knows. Any way thanks all for
    the suggestions.

    Dewayne, Feb 18, 2008
  16. Dima Guest

    Seagate SATA drives have jumper. When it's on, the drive is limited to
    SATA1,
    try removing that jumper to get it working at SATA2 spec, then see if it
    gets recognized.

    Dima, Feb 20, 2008