install 64-bit Win7 on 32-bit XPS M1330 laptop?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Timothy Daniels, Sep 18, 2012.

  1. The page at the Crucial.com site for Dell's XPS M1330 laptop
    (http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=XPS M1330)
    implies that a 64-bit OS, say Windows 7, could run on a 32-bit
    computer hardware architecture and be able to address more than
    3.5GB - actually 8GB in the case of the XPS M1330.

    My XPS M1330 currently has 3GB of RAM, and I'd like to increase
    that to 4GB or 8GB, and I also have an installation DVD of 64-bit
    Win7 Pro. Can I just install the 8GB of RAM and the 64-bit Win7 Pro
    and successfully access all 8GB of RAM?

    *TimDaniels*

    1. Advertising

  2. Looking at the Intel specs for the CPU, which is a Core 2 Duo t7500,
    it says "64 bit support" - whatever that means. I called Dell Tech Support
    and the rep in the Philippines said that I could run Windows 7 64-bit on
    the laptop with no problems other than possibly having to install different
    drivers (downloadable from the Dell website), and that I would be able then
    to access more than 4GB of memory. Sound good. Has anyone here done
    such a thing and do you have any info to share?

    *TimDaniels*

    "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
    > The page at the Crucial.com site for Dell's XPS M1330 laptop
    > (http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=XPS M1330)
    > implies that a 64-bit OS, say Windows 7, could run on a 32-bit
    > computer hardware architecture and be able to address more than
    > 3.5GB - actually 8GB in the case of the XPS M1330.
    >
    > My XPS M1330 currently has 3GB of RAM, and I'd like to increase
    > that to 4GB or 8GB, and I also have an installation DVD of 64-bit
    > Win7 Pro. Can I just install the 8GB of RAM and the 64-bit Win7 Pro
    > and successfully access all 8GB of RAM?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    1. Advertising

  3. will drivers for 64-bit Vista work for 64-bit Win7?

    According to Dell's list of Supported Operating Systems for the XPS M1330,
    32-bit OSes supported: Win7 and Vista
    64-bit OSes supported: Vista

    A 2nd call to Dell's Tech Support only garnered that officially, Dell "doesn't know"
    if 64-bit Win7 will run on this computer, and unlike Crucial.com, Dell "doesn't know"
    if any 64-bit Windows OS can access more than 4GB of memory in this computer.
    (Why would a customer run 64-bit Vista if it couldn't?)

    Assuming that Crucial.com is right, and the hardware will access 8GB of RAM
    with a 64-bit OS, will drivers for 64-bit Vista work for 64-bit Win7?

    *TimDaniels*

    "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
    > Looking at the Intel specs for the CPU, which is a Core 2 Duo t7500,
    > it says "64 bit support" - whatever that means. I called Dell Tech Support
    > and the rep in the Philippines said that I could run Windows 7 64-bit on
    > the laptop with no problems other than possibly having to install different
    > drivers (downloadable from the Dell website), and that I would be able then
    > to access more than 4GB of memory. Sound good. Has anyone here done
    > such a thing and do you have any info to share?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*
    >
    > "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
    >> The page at the Crucial.com site for Dell's XPS M1330 laptop
    >> (http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=XPS M1330)
    >> implies that a 64-bit OS, say Windows 7, could run on a 32-bit
    >> computer hardware architecture and be able to address more than
    >> 3.5GB - actually 8GB in the case of the XPS M1330.
    >>
    >> My XPS M1330 currently has 3GB of RAM, and I'd like to increase
    >> that to 4GB or 8GB, and I also have an installation DVD of 64-bit
    >> Win7 Pro. Can I just install the 8GB of RAM and the 64-bit Win7 Pro
    >> and successfully access all 8GB of RAM?
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Re: will drivers for 64-bit Vista work for 64-bit Win7?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > According to Dell's list of Supported Operating Systems for the XPS M1330,
    > 32-bit OSes supported: Win7 and Vista
    > 64-bit OSes supported: Vista
    >
    > A 2nd call to Dell's Tech Support only garnered that officially, Dell
    > "doesn't know"
    > if 64-bit Win7 will run on this computer, and unlike Crucial.com, Dell
    > "doesn't know"
    > if any 64-bit Windows OS can access more than 4GB of memory in this
    > computer.
    > (Why would a customer run 64-bit Vista if it couldn't?)
    >
    > Assuming that Crucial.com is right, and the hardware will access 8GB of RAM
    > with a 64-bit OS, will drivers for 64-bit Vista work for 64-bit Win7?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Plug into a search engine, and someone will have done it.

    http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/435485-m1330-windows-7-x64-drivers.html

    Search terms: "windows 7 x64 XPS M1330"

    Paul

    > "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
    >> Looking at the Intel specs for the CPU, which is a Core 2 Duo t7500,
    >> it says "64 bit support" - whatever that means. I called Dell Tech
    >> Support
    >> and the rep in the Philippines said that I could run Windows 7 64-bit on
    >> the laptop with no problems other than possibly having to install
    >> different
    >> drivers (downloadable from the Dell website), and that I would be able
    >> then
    >> to access more than 4GB of memory. Sound good. Has anyone here done
    >> such a thing and do you have any info to share?
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*
    >>
    >> "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
    >>> The page at the Crucial.com site for Dell's XPS M1330 laptop
    >>> (http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=XPS M1330)
    >>> implies that a 64-bit OS, say Windows 7, could run on a 32-bit
    >>> computer hardware architecture and be able to address more than
    >>> 3.5GB - actually 8GB in the case of the XPS M1330.
    >>>
    >>> My XPS M1330 currently has 3GB of RAM, and I'd like to increase
    >>> that to 4GB or 8GB, and I also have an installation DVD of 64-bit
    >>> Win7 Pro. Can I just install the 8GB of RAM and the 64-bit Win7 Pro
    >>> and successfully access all 8GB of RAM?
    >>>
    >>> *TimDaniels*

  5. Brian K

    Brian K Guest

    Tim,

    One of my computers is a lot older than yours (it has a Pentium D processor)
    and Win7 64-bit runs fine. I didn't install extra drivers as the ones in
    Win7 were adequate.

  6. Thanks for your reply. Googling seems to show that there may be a problem
    with the 64-bit Vista drivers for audio when used with Skype but that a driver
    directly from Sigmatel solves it. A 64-bit Win7 driver for the video may also
    be needed. In any event, it appears that 64-bit Win7 will run on the XPS M1330
    with some experimentation with drivers and perhaps with a BIOS upgrade.
    Too bad Dell doesn't supply the 64-bit Win7 drivers. It would be much easier
    if they had.

    *TimDaniels*

    "Brian K" replied:

    > Tim,
    >
    > One of my computers is a lot older than yours (it has a Pentium D processor)
    > and Win7 64-bit runs fine. I didn't install extra drivers as the ones in
    > Win7 were adequate.

  7. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:34:38 AM UTC-4, Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > Thanks for your reply. Googling seems to show that there may be a problem
    >
    > with the 64-bit Vista drivers for audio when used with Skype but that a driver
    >
    > directly from Sigmatel solves it. A 64-bit Win7 driver for the video mayalso
    >
    > be needed. In any event, it appears that 64-bit Win7 will run on the XPSM1330
    >
    > with some experimentation with drivers and perhaps with a BIOS upgrade.
    >
    > Too bad Dell doesn't supply the 64-bit Win7 drivers. It would be much easier
    >
    > if they had.
    >

    > *TimDaniels*
    >

    > "Brian K" replied:
    >

    > > Tim,

    > > One of my computers is a lot older than yours (it has a Pentium D processor)

    > > and Win7 64-bit runs fine. I didn't install extra drivers as the ones in

    > > Win7 were adequate.

    Any time one upgrades the operating system, there is always the possibilityof a snipe hunt to find compatible drivers. With most chip vendors (e.g. Intel for wifi and motherboard chipset, Sigmatel for audio), one can often find the needed drivers at the hardware chip vendors web site. But sometimes no, hence "hardware obsolescence".

  8. Rajath N

    Rajath N Guest

    Hi Tim

    XPS M1330 can support up to 8GB of RAM at 667MHz and the processors ar
    compatible with 64-bit versions of Windows. Dell has drivers for Window
    Vista 64-bit. You can download and run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on you
    computer. This will test the laptop for its compatibility and wil
    provide a detailed result. You can download the software from th
    following link
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

    Please reply to this message if you need further information

  9. "Rajath N" wrote:

    > Hi Tim,
    >
    > XPS M1330 can support up to 8GB of RAM at 667MHz and the processors are
    > compatible with 64-bit versions of Windows. Dell has drivers for Windows
    > Vista 64-bit. You can download and run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on your
    > computer. This will test the laptop for its compatibility and will
    > provide a detailed result. You can download the software from the
    > following link:
    > http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor
    >
    > Please reply to this message if you need further information.

    Thanks, Rajath. That suggestion was also made by a Microsoft "MVP" in
    alt.windows7.general, and I will check it out.

    *TimDaniels*

  10. "Ben Myers" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> Thanks for your reply. Googling seems to show that there may be a problem
    >> with the 64-bit Vista drivers for audio when used with Skype but that a driver
    >> directly from Sigmatel solves it. A 64-bit Win7 driver for the video may also
    >> be needed. In any event, it appears that 64-bit Win7 will run on the XPS M1330
    >> with some experimentation with drivers and perhaps with a BIOS upgrade.
    >> Too bad Dell doesn't supply the 64-bit Win7 drivers. It would be much easier
    >> if they had.
    >>
    >> "Brian K" replied:
    >>

    >> > Tim,
    >> >
    >> > One of my computers is a lot older than yours (it has a Pentium D processor)
    >> > and Win7 64-bit runs fine. I didn't install extra drivers as the ones in
    >> > Win7 were adequate.

    > Any time one upgrades the operating system, there is always the possibility of a
    > snipe hunt to find compatible drivers. With most chip vendors (e.g. Intel for wifi and
    > motherboard chipset, Sigmatel for audio), one can often find the needed drivers at
    > the hardware chip vendors web site. But sometimes no, hence "hardware obsolescence".

    "Snipe hunts" are my middle name, it seems. It comes with being a perfectionist. :)
    But... I expect that I'll learn enough to make it worth the time. Thanks for the glimpse
    of reality.

    *TimDaniels*

  11. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 09:04:03 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
    <> wrote:

    >"Ben Myers" wrote:
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>> Thanks for your reply. Googling seems to show that there may be a problem
    >>> with the 64-bit Vista drivers for audio when used with Skype but that a driver
    >>> directly from Sigmatel solves it. A 64-bit Win7 driver for the video may also
    >>> be needed. In any event, it appears that 64-bit Win7 will run on the XPS M1330
    >>> with some experimentation with drivers and perhaps with a BIOS upgrade.
    >>> Too bad Dell doesn't supply the 64-bit Win7 drivers. It would be much easier
    >>> if they had.
    >>>
    >>> "Brian K" replied:

    >> Any time one upgrades the operating system, there is always the possibility of a
    >> snipe hunt to find compatible drivers. With most chip vendors (e.g. Intel for wifi and
    >> motherboard chipset, Sigmatel for audio), one can often find the needed drivers at
    >> the hardware chip vendors web site. But sometimes no, hence "hardware obsolescence".

    > "Snipe hunts" are my middle name, it seems. It comes with being a perfectionist. :)
    >But... I expect that I'll learn enough to make it worth the time. Thanks for the glimpse
    >of reality.
    >
    >*TimDaniels*

    Ben is right. I think some drivers might be your biggest concern.
    I've got a scanner which works fine in XP but their win 7 drivers are
    buggy. Go ahead and take the plunge but you might consider making an
    image of your drive first just in case you want to go backwards.