    Lenny Bruce Guest

    Has anyone installed Linux on a Dimension 8400 with a SATA drive? I've
    tried 3 distros, each unsuccessfully.

    Lenny Bruce, Feb 12, 2005

  2. "Lenny Bruce" wrote:
    > Has anyone installed Linux on a Dimension 8400
    > with a SATA drive? I've tried 3 distros, each unsuccessfully.

    Try the newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware .

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Feb 12, 2005

  3. Lenny Bruce

    Ben Myers Guest

    Betcha Linux does not have SATA drivers yet. I've run into similar problems in
    the past between Linux distros and newly released hardware. Always a time lag.
    Usually not as bad as Windows though... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 12, 2005
  4. Lenny Bruce <> writes:
    >Has anyone installed Linux on a Dimension 8400 with a SATA drive? I've
    >tried 3 distros, each unsuccessfully.

    I have done this on 4700's which are probably similar to the 8400 as far
    as SATA goes.

    The bios has a normal/combination mode setting which will allow you to
    put the IDE controller into a PATA emulation mode.

    Fedora Core 3 will install and run OK in normal mode.

    RedHat9 will install in combination mode, unfortunately, the IDE disks will
    not be recognized as DMA capable - the disk is operated in the slower PIO
    mode.

    Other Linux distributions would probably install and run in combination mode
    (with the same lack of DMA support).

    With one of the 2.4.* based distributions up and running in combination mode
    you can then download and build the 2.4.29 kernel from www.kernel.org. This
    kernel has SATA support. You'll have to build the kernel with ext3 in the
    kernel rather than as a module and you'll have to include some modules into
    the initrd image. You can then switch the bios into normal mode and boot
    the 2.4.29 kernel. This will give you full speed DMA and SATA support.

    It can be done but its extra work. FC3 might be an easier way to go if you
    aren't running production.

    Later

    Mark Hittinger x4627

    Mark Hittinger, Feb 13, 2005