Installation of Linksys WMP54G on ABIT BE6-II

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Andrew, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    This is my first post ... apologies if I have not followed convention.

    I am trying to install a Linksys WMP54G wireless network card on a
    Windows XP machine running service pack 2

    The mother board is an ABIT BE6-II with a P3 334mhz processor. The
    system has 128mb of ram.I have flashed the BIOS to the latest revision
    70. There are currently no other cards in the PCI slots.

    With the wireless card removed the system boots correctly and windows
    loads as usual.

    When I power off and insert the wireless card in one of the PCI slots
    and power on the system freezes and refuses to boot. If I remove the
    card and power back on, the system boots correctly. I have repeated
    the process with all 5 PCI slots.

    I have sent a note to Linksys ... but no reply.

    I have tried the wireless card in a different p/c and it boots fine,
    therefore it does not appear to be a faulty card.

    I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.
    Andrew, Jan 10, 2005

  2. Andrew

    Quixote Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > This is my first post ... apologies if I have not followed convention.
    >
    > I am trying to install a Linksys WMP54G wireless network card on a
    > Windows XP machine running service pack 2
    >
    > The mother board is an ABIT BE6-II with a P3 334mhz processor. The
    > system has 128mb of ram.I have flashed the BIOS to the latest revision
    > 70. There are currently no other cards in the PCI slots.
    >
    > With the wireless card removed the system boots correctly and windows
    > loads as usual.
    >
    > When I power off and insert the wireless card in one of the PCI slots
    > and power on the system freezes and refuses to boot. If I remove the
    > card and power back on, the system boots correctly. I have repeated
    > the process with all 5 PCI slots.
    >
    > I have sent a note to Linksys ... but no reply.
    >
    > I have tried the wireless card in a different p/c and it boots fine,
    > therefore it does not appear to be a faulty card.
    >
    > I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

    Are you running the PCI bus out of spec? If you are overclocking or using a
    user defined setup in softmenu, make sure you have the PCI divider set
    correctly.

    Quixote
    Quixote, Jan 10, 2005

  3. Andrew

    Tom Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message news:...
    > This is my first post ... apologies if I have not followed convention.
    >
    > I am trying to install a Linksys WMP54G wireless network card on a
    > Windows XP machine running service pack 2
    >
    > The mother board is an ABIT BE6-II with a P3 334mhz processor. The
    > system has 128mb of ram.I have flashed the BIOS to the latest revision
    > 70. There are currently no other cards in the PCI slots.
    >
    > With the wireless card removed the system boots correctly and windows
    > loads as usual.
    >
    > When I power off and insert the wireless card in one of the PCI slots
    > and power on the system freezes and refuses to boot. If I remove the
    > card and power back on, the system boots correctly. I have repeated
    > the process with all 5 PCI slots.
    >
    > I have sent a note to Linksys ... but no reply.
    >
    > I have tried the wireless card in a different p/c and it boots fine,
    > therefore it does not appear to be a faulty card.
    >
    > I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

    How far does the boot sequence get? At what point does
    the system hang? Do you get a specific error message?
    Tom, Jan 10, 2005
  4. Andrew

    Leon Rowell Guest

    I just installed a Belkin wireless card in my BE6-II ver.2.0 with XP
    Pro. I had to go to the Belkin web site and download the latest install
    software & drivers and install them before I installed the card. My card
    is in PCI slot 2. I don't know what your instructions say but mine said
    to "install software before you install the card" You may have to try
    removing the card if it shows up in "Device Manager" and uninstall any
    software or drivers and start all over.

    Leon Rowell

    Leon Rowell, Jan 10, 2005
  5. Andrew

    John Lewis Guest

    On 10 Jan 2005 06:51:43 -0800, (Andrew)
    wrote:

    >This is my first post ... apologies if I have not followed convention.
    >
    >I am trying to install a Linksys WMP54G wireless network card on a
    >Windows XP machine running service pack 2
    >
    >The mother board is an ABIT BE6-II with a P3 334mhz processor. The
    >system has 128mb of ram.I have flashed the BIOS to the latest revision
    >70. There are currently no other cards in the PCI slots.
    >
    >With the wireless card removed the system boots correctly and windows
    >loads as usual.
    >
    >When I power off and insert the wireless card in one of the PCI slots
    >and power on the system freezes and refuses to boot. If I remove the
    >card and power back on, the system boots correctly. I have repeated
    >the process with all 5 PCI slots.
    >
    >I have sent a note to Linksys ... but no reply.
    >
    >I have tried the wireless card in a different p/c and it boots fine,
    >therefore it does not appear to be a faulty card.
    >
    >I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

    Does the system boot-up sufficiently to get at Safe Mode ( F8 ) ?

    John Lewis
    John Lewis, Jan 11, 2005
  6. Andrew

    Guest

    Hi John,

    Sadly not, there seems to be a couple of seconds whilst attached
    devices are checked (CD etc) and then it just hangs. The monitor is not
    activated by this point. Out of frustration I have tried pluggiing the
    card in with the os loaded and logged on ... p/c just froze and needed
    re-booting with the card removed to operate again.

    Andrew

    John Lewis wrote:
    > On 10 Jan 2005 06:51:43 -0800, (Andrew)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >This is my first post ... apologies if I have not followed

    convention.

    > >I am trying to install a Linksys WMP54G wireless network card on a
    > >Windows XP machine running service pack 2
    > >
    > >The mother board is an ABIT BE6-II with a P3 334mhz processor. The
    > >system has 128mb of ram.I have flashed the BIOS to the latest

    revision
    > >70. There are currently no other cards in the PCI slots.
    > >
    > >With the wireless card removed the system boots correctly and

    windows
    > >loads as usual.
    > >
    > >When I power off and insert the wireless card in one of the PCI

    slots
    > >and power on the system freezes and refuses to boot. If I remove the
    > >card and power back on, the system boots correctly. I have repeated
    > >the process with all 5 PCI slots.
    > >
    > >I have sent a note to Linksys ... but no reply.
    > >
    > >I have tried the wireless card in a different p/c and it boots fine,
    > >therefore it does not appear to be a faulty card.
    > >
    > >I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

    > Does the system boot-up sufficiently to get at Safe Mode ( F8 ) ?
    >
    > John Lewis
    , Jan 11, 2005
  7. Andrew

    Tom Guest

    http://linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3737

    http://www.computer-one.org/new-2229943-4569.html

    http://linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3737

    http://www.box-one.org/new-3108751-4556.html

    etc.

    Took all of 10 seconds to find with a Google search.

    Try another brand/model card, or a more recent system
    board.

    Tom, Jan 11, 2005
  8. Andrew

    Guest

    Tom, thanks for the links, I have clearly been searching with too
    specific key words.

    Ironically I finally received an email reply this morning advising the
    card is incompatible with my chipset!
    Can anyone recommend a card or model which should be compatible?
    , Jan 11, 2005
  9. Andrew

    TomG Guest

    you could try clearing the CMOS using the jumper and include the bios
    setting for resetting the ESCD and see if that will allow you to install the
    card... another question is what type of power supply do you have in the
    system? if the power supply is on the weak side, the addition of the card
    could be enough to prevent the power supply from being able to run the
    system.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jan 11, 2005
  10. Andrew

    TomG Guest

    pretty risky adding in a card while the system is live...

    TomG, Jan 11, 2005
  11. <> wrote in message...
    > Out of frustration I have tried pluggiing the card in with the os
    > loaded and logged on ... p/c just froze and needed
    > re-booting with the card removed to operate again.

    Jeesh, where did you get the idea that hot-plugging a PCI card would be a
    good thing to try?

    In the circumstances you're a bit lucky that the system did reboot
    afterwards. I know you'd had a gutsful with this card, but putting your
    motherboard at risk doesn't seem like too helpful a move.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Jan 11, 2005
  12. Andrew

    PJx Guest

    On 11 Jan 2005 02:15:31 -0800, wrote:

    >Tom, thanks for the links, I have clearly been searching with too
    >specific key words.
    >
    >Ironically I finally received an email reply this morning advising the
    >card is incompatible with my chipset!
    >Can anyone recommend a card or model which should be compatible?

    I have a motherboard that is not compatible with my modem card. I
    get about the same results. The day I accepted that and bought
    another brand, was a good day.

    PJ
    PJx, Jan 11, 2005