    Can anyone tell me how to get SATA working?

    Thank you..

    Al
    AL_n, Oct 28, 2011

  2. In article <Xns9F8CBA38AA236zzzzzz@130.133.4.11>,
    AL_n <> wrote:
    >After XP was installed, I downloaded the Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver
    >driver for this laptop, from the HP site.

    Ummmm you DID install the SATA driver, right?
    the wharf rat, Oct 28, 2011

  3. AL_n

    AL_n Guest

    (the wharf rat) wrote in

    > In article <Xns9F8CBA38AA236zzzzzz@130.133.4.11>,
    > AL_n <> wrote:
    >>After XP was installed, I downloaded the Intel SATA AHCI Controller
    >>Driver driver for this laptop, from the HP site.
    >>

    > Ummmm you DID install the SATA driver, right?

    I think so, because in Device Manager under IDE/ATAPI controllers, I see:
    Intel (R) ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA storage controller 2828

    and "the device is working properly"

    Is the above evidence that the driver is installed?

    TIA

    Al
    AL_n, Oct 28, 2011
  4. AL_n

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Oct 28, 12:21 pm, "AL_n" <> wrote:
    > I've just acquired an HP 6710b Core 2 Duo laptop with a newly formatted
    > hard drive. I tried loading XP prfessional (SP3), but it would not
    > recognise the hard drive. I disabled SATA in the BIOS, after which I was
    > able to install XP, presumably accessing the drive in IDE mode.
    >
    > After XP was installed, I downloaded the Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver
    > driver for this laptop, from the HP site.
    >
    > I then enabled SATA in the BIOS, hoping I'd then be able to run the laptop
    > in the (faster) SATA mode, but when I tried this, the laptop wouldn't boot
    > up. After disabling SATA again, it booted up.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to get SATA working?
    >
    > Thank you..
    >
    > Al

    When I had this problem I used a freeware called nLite and merged the
    SATA drivers into an OEM copy of Windows. If I can do it...anyone
    can! (I'm old)
    Bob_Villa, Oct 28, 2011
  5. AL_n

    Bob_Villa Guest

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...softwareitem=ob-51521-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
    Bob_Villa, Oct 29, 2011
  6. AL_n

    AL_n Guest

    Bob_Villa <> wrote in

    > When I had this problem I used a freeware called nLite and merged the
    > SATA drivers into an OEM copy of Windows. If I can do it...anyone
    > can! (I'm old)

    Thanks. I tried this but it seems to require a complete reinstallation of
    XP. On my system, it seems that this can only be done by reformatting the
    hard drive. I was hoping to avoid that.

    I guess it's not as simple as copying the driver files to
    windows/System32... nor can it be done by updating the driver via evice
    Manager, it seems.

    Al
    AL_n, Oct 29, 2011
  7. AL_n

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Oct 29, 10:42 am, "AL_n" <> wrote:
    > Bob_Villa <> wrote innews::
    >
    > > When I had this problem I used a freeware called nLite and merged the
    > > SATA drivers into an OEM copy of Windows.  If I can do it...anyone
    > > can!  (I'm old)

    > Thanks. I tried this but it seems to require a complete reinstallation of
    > XP. On my system, it seems that this can only be done by reformatting the
    > hard drive. I was hoping to avoid that.
    >
    > I guess it's not as simple as copying the driver files to
    > windows/System32... nor can it be done by updating the driver via evice
    > Manager, it seems.
    >
    > Al

    AFAIK, it HAS to be done from the install of a formatted drive.
    Bob_Villa, Oct 29, 2011
  8. AL_n

    AL_n Guest

    Bob_Villa <> wrote in

    > AFAIK, it HAS to be done from the install of a formatted drive.

    I see.. Did you notice a significant improvement in the speed of your
    machine after you got SATA working with XP?

    Al
    AL_n, Oct 29, 2011
  9. AL_n

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Oct 29, 10:51 am, "AL_n" <> wrote:
    > Bob_Villa <> wrote innews::
    >
    > > AFAIK, it HAS to be done from the install of a formatted drive.

    > I see.. Did you notice a significant improvement in the speed of your
    > machine after you got SATA working with XP?
    >
    > Al

    On my Dell 1545 it wouldn't load initially (loading files) then crap-
    out. I never tried emulating IDE.
    Bob_Villa, Oct 29, 2011