Installed SATA driver, but still no SATA

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by AL_n, Oct 28, 2011.

  1. AL_n

    AL_n Guest

    I've just acquired an HP 6710b Core 2 Duo laptop with a newly formatted
    hard drive. I tried loading XP prfessional (SP3), but it would not
    recognise the hard drive. I disabled SATA in the BIOS, after which I was
    able to install XP, presumably accessing the drive in IDE mode.

    After XP was installed, I downloaded the Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver
    driver for this laptop, from the HP site.

    I then enabled SATA in the BIOS, hoping I'd then be able to run the laptop
    in the (faster) SATA mode, but when I tried this, the laptop wouldn't boot
    up. After disabling SATA again, it booted up.

    Can anyone tell me how to get SATA working?

    Thank you..

    Al

    1. Advertising

  2. In article <Xns9F8CBA38AA236zzzzzz@130.133.4.11>,
    AL_n <> wrote:
    >After XP was installed, I downloaded the Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver
    >driver for this laptop, from the HP site.

    Ummmm you DID install the SATA driver, right?

    1. Advertising

  3. AL_n

    AL_n Guest

    (the wharf rat) wrote in

    > In article <Xns9F8CBA38AA236zzzzzz@130.133.4.11>,
    > AL_n <> wrote:
    >>After XP was installed, I downloaded the Intel SATA AHCI Controller
    >>Driver driver for this laptop, from the HP site.
    >>

    > Ummmm you DID install the SATA driver, right?

    I think so, because in Device Manager under IDE/ATAPI controllers, I see:
    Intel (R) ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA storage controller 2828

    and "the device is working properly"

    Is the above evidence that the driver is installed?

    TIA

    Al

  4. Bob_Villa

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Oct 28, 12:21 pm, "AL_n" <> wrote:
    > I've just acquired an HP 6710b Core 2 Duo laptop with a newly formatted
    > hard drive. I tried loading XP prfessional (SP3), but it would not
    > recognise the hard drive. I disabled SATA in the BIOS, after which I was
    > able to install XP, presumably accessing the drive in IDE mode.
    >
    > After XP was installed, I downloaded the Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver
    > driver for this laptop, from the HP site.
    >
    > I then enabled SATA in the BIOS, hoping I'd then be able to run the laptop
    > in the (faster) SATA mode, but when I tried this, the laptop wouldn't boot
    > up. After disabling SATA again, it booted up.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to get SATA working?
    >
    > Thank you..
    >
    > Al

    When I had this problem I used a freeware called nLite and merged the
    SATA drivers into an OEM copy of Windows. If I can do it...anyone
    can! (I'm old)

  5. Bob_Villa

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Oct 28, 12:21 pm, "AL_n" <> wrote:
    > I've just acquired an HP 6710b Core 2 Duo laptop with a newly formatted
    > hard drive. I tried loading XP prfessional (SP3), but it would not
    > recognise the hard drive. I disabled SATA in the BIOS, after which I was
    > able to install XP, presumably accessing the drive in IDE mode.
    >
    > After XP was installed, I downloaded the Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver
    > driver for this laptop, from the HP site.
    >
    > I then enabled SATA in the BIOS, hoping I'd then be able to run the laptop
    > in the (faster) SATA mode, but when I tried this, the laptop wouldn't boot
    > up. After disabling SATA again, it booted up.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to get SATA working?
    >
    > Thank you..
    >
    > Al

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...softwareitem=ob-51521-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

  6. AL_n

    AL_n Guest

    Bob_Villa <> wrote in

    > When I had this problem I used a freeware called nLite and merged the
    > SATA drivers into an OEM copy of Windows. If I can do it...anyone
    > can! (I'm old)

    Thanks. I tried this but it seems to require a complete reinstallation of
    XP. On my system, it seems that this can only be done by reformatting the
    hard drive. I was hoping to avoid that.

    I guess it's not as simple as copying the driver files to
    windows/System32... nor can it be done by updating the driver via evice
    Manager, it seems.

    Al

  7. Bob_Villa

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Oct 29, 10:42 am, "AL_n" <> wrote:
    > Bob_Villa <> wrote innews::
    >
    > > When I had this problem I used a freeware called nLite and merged the
    > > SATA drivers into an OEM copy of Windows.  If I can do it...anyone
    > > can!  (I'm old)

    > Thanks. I tried this but it seems to require a complete reinstallation of
    > XP. On my system, it seems that this can only be done by reformatting the
    > hard drive. I was hoping to avoid that.
    >
    > I guess it's not as simple as copying the driver files to
    > windows/System32... nor can it be done by updating the driver via evice
    > Manager, it seems.
    >
    > Al

    AFAIK, it HAS to be done from the install of a formatted drive.

  8. AL_n

    AL_n Guest

    Bob_Villa <> wrote in

    > AFAIK, it HAS to be done from the install of a formatted drive.

    I see.. Did you notice a significant improvement in the speed of your
    machine after you got SATA working with XP?

    Al

  9. Bob_Villa

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Oct 29, 10:51 am, "AL_n" <> wrote:
    > Bob_Villa <> wrote innews::
    >
    > > AFAIK, it HAS to be done from the install of a formatted drive.

    > I see.. Did you notice a significant improvement in the speed of your
    > machine after you got SATA working with XP?
    >
    > Al

    On my Dell 1545 it wouldn't load initially (loading files) then crap-
    out. I never tried emulating IDE.