    that looks like it's supposed to be punched out, like the round openings on
    an electrical box. It's this for real?

    TIA
    Boris, Nov 24, 2011

  2. Boris

    Pen Guest

    On 11/23/2011 8:11 PM, Boris wrote:
    > The machine is a Dell XPS Studio 8100. I want to install a secondary
    > optical drive. I took off the front bezel, and what do I see where the
    > second optical drive goes? A rectangular piece of steel covering the slot,
    > that looks like it's supposed to be punched out, like the round openings on
    > an electrical box. It's this for real?
    >
    > TIA

    The Dell service manual is found here:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/studio8100/en/index.htm

    check out the drives section.
    Pen, Nov 24, 2011

  3. Boris

    Boris Guest

    Boris, Nov 24, 2011
  4. Boris

    linkinpark187

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    It's simple, really. Just punch out the metal piece in the second bay. It's there only because they don't expect their customers to be self-servicing their computers. These metal pieces will come with most new cases or computers, anyway. Once you have it out, you should be able to put it in. The only thing I have to ask, is it IDE or SATA? If IDE, make sure you have the pins set on one to Master and the other to Slave (or even Cable Select on both drives). Either way (IDE or SATA), you'll more than likely have to go into the BIOS to make sure that the Second Secondary drive (IDE) is set to AUTO, or if SATA make sure that the SATA port it's plugged into is set to ON.
    linkinpark187, Nov 24, 2011
  5. Boris

    dg1261 Guest

    Boris <> wrote in

    > I took off the front bezel, and what do I see where the
    > second optical drive goes? A rectangular piece of steel covering
    > the slot, that looks like it's supposed to be punched out, like
    > the round openings on an electrical box. It's this for real?

    Yes, that's what you're supposed to do. Don't just hammer it out, though,
    as you could bend or deform the steel around the opening. The punchout is
    probably attached by three small joints, two on one long side and one on
    the opposite side. Use a flat-bladed screwdriver on the one-joint side to
    lever the joint apart and swing that side of the punchout inward. Then
    with your fingers swing the punchout back and forth until the remaining two
    joints break off.
    dg1261, Nov 24, 2011
  6. Boris

    Boris Guest

    dg1261 <> wrote in

    > Boris <> wrote in
    >
    >> I took off the front bezel, and what do I see where the
    >> second optical drive goes? A rectangular piece of steel covering
    >> the slot, that looks like it's supposed to be punched out, like
    >> the round openings on an electrical box. It's this for real?

    > Yes, that's what you're supposed to do. Don't just hammer it out,
    > though, as you could bend or deform the steel around the opening. The
    > punchout is probably attached by three small joints, two on one long
    > side and one on the opposite side. Use a flat-bladed screwdriver on
    > the one-joint side to lever the joint apart and swing that side of the
    > punchout inward. Then with your fingers swing the punchout back and
    > forth until the remaining two joints break off.

    A Bosch electric demo hammer worked great. Actuall, 1/2 twist of the
    whole plate snapped it right off. It was held on with two 1 mm tabs.
    Never seen a case like this.

    Thanks.
    Boris, Nov 24, 2011
  7. On 11/24/2011 3:47 PM, Boris wrote:
    > dg1261<> wrote in
    >
    >> Boris<> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I took off the front bezel, and what do I see where the
    >>> second optical drive goes? A rectangular piece of steel covering
    >>> the slot, that looks like it's supposed to be punched out, like
    >>> the round openings on an electrical box. It's this for real?

    >> Yes, that's what you're supposed to do. Don't just hammer it out,
    >> though, as you could bend or deform the steel around the opening. The
    >> punchout is probably attached by three small joints, two on one long
    >> side and one on the opposite side. Use a flat-bladed screwdriver on
    >> the one-joint side to lever the joint apart and swing that side of the
    >> punchout inward. Then with your fingers swing the punchout back and
    >> forth until the remaining two joints break off.
    >>

    > A Bosch electric demo hammer worked great. Actuall, 1/2 twist of the
    > whole plate snapped it right off. It was held on with two 1 mm tabs.
    > Never seen a case like this.
    >
    > Thanks.

    the blank panel provides stiffness to the case in the absence of a drive
    being installed in the slot. it helps keep the case from racking.
    removing the panel like you did to make the bay available for use is normal.
    Christopher Muto, Nov 26, 2011