Installing memory upgrade in V215

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by dsalt@mbacs.com, Oct 21, 2009.

  1. Guest

    I am attempting to upgrade the memory in a V215 using X8711A 4GB (2GB
    X 2) dimms. I get the following error message;

    SC Alert: SASBP.F0 @ PDB.FT6.F1 has been
    inserted. -
    SC Alert: Host System has
    Reset Done
    0>IO-Bridge Tests....Done
    0>INFO:
    0> POST Passed all devices.
    0>
    0>POST: Return to OBP.

    Configuring system memory & CPU(s)

    ERROR: CPU0 DIMM 0 SPD reports DIMM cycle time is less than 166 MHz
    System configuration failed, powering off

    SC Alert: Host system has shut down.

    Upgraded to OBP 4.30.4, no help; Any bug reports on this error?

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    , Oct 21, 2009

  2. The memory you're trying to use has a CAS latency greater than 2.0
    (probably 2.5). This doesn't work, and in fact by upgrading, you
    might've made life harder for yourself.

    I am currently dealing with this problem in my Blade 1500. I
    (stupidly) upgraded my OBP from 4.9 to 4.30, and apparently in
    versions later than 4.14, extra checks were added to disable any
    system not using the supported CL2.0. I was forced to yank a pair of
    2GB DIMMs out as a result, and now I have a pretty useless system with
    1GB RAM instead of the 5GB it had before the upgrade.

    Does anyone know if old openboot versions are floating around online
    somewhere? The lowest version Sun has online is 4.16, which is no
    good.

    Thanks much

    glenn k. Lockwood

    glennklockwood, Nov 26, 2009