Installing MySQL on Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Apple' started by JF Mezei, May 3, 2012.

  1. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    This is just to document what appears to be my succesfull installation
    of MYSQL 5.5 on Snow Leopard (server) (which came with 5.0 something)

    You unpack the kit into a version specific directory.
    /usr/local/mysql-5.5.23-osx10.6-x86_64

    create the symbolic link /usr/local/mysql pointing to it.

    I edited the /etc/paths file to add /usr/local/mysql to it.

    I did NOT install the preference pane, deciding to stay with the launchd
    philosophy.

    I removed "mysql" service from the Server Admin tool. It insists on
    overwriting the launchdeamon plist.

    I edited the /system/library/launchdeamons/org.mysql.mysqld.plist to
    have the server point from /usr/libexec/mysqld to /usr/local/mysql/mysqld

    did not change other parameters in the plist.

    I copied the man pages:

    cp /usr/local/mysql/man/man1/*.* /usr/share/man/man1
    cp /usr/local/mysql/man/man5/*.* /usr/share/man/man5

    Removing the Apple provided mysql:

    I created an oldmysql directory in /usr. Under it, a bin , share and
    libexec subdirectories.

    moved mysql*.* from /usr/bin to /usr/oldmysql/bin
    moved mysql from /usr/share to /usr/oldmysql/share (this is a directory
    being moved)
    moved /usr/libexec/mysqld to /usr/oldmysql/libexec

    This way, I could restore the files if necessary.

    Note: some parameters in the /etc/my.cnf are no longer valid

    You can reboot the machine, or use launchtl to unload and reload the
    ..plis and restart the software and then check
    /var/mysql/mysql_service.log for the error causing the abort or just the
    warnings.

    Before uncommenting any of the innoDB parameters, read carefully. The
    Apple provided file has some paraeters that don't exist anymore and some
    which will cause conflicts because of existing files not being the same
    size.

    PHP's interface to mysql appears unchanged. I assume that it was linked
    with the mysql stuff embedded as opposed to using external libraries.
    Need to do a bit more research on this.
    JF Mezei, May 3, 2012