integrate 3114 SATA controller with bios using CBROM

Discussion in 'Epox' started by mullenmj, Jul 16, 2010.

1. mullenmj

mullenmj

Hi - I'm trying to install a 1TB samsung spinpoint f3 HDD with EP4PDA5+ mobo but having a problem getting the BIOS to detect it properly. I have the latest BIOS 6.00PG 10/6/04 and the latest sata 3114 controller 1.0.21 3/10/07

I've searched around and found the problem and answer, best summed up below:

The problem is that the older BIOS for your Silicon Image controller does not support 1TB drives. The latest BIOS for my mobo which has a 3512 based SATA-RAID controller on board contained version 4.3.43 which dates from 2003 and the latest at the Silicon Image site is 4.3.84 from 2007. That one did turn out to support 1TB drives.

Your 3112 based controller most likely has the same issue and you should use the latest version for that chip (4.2.84 - also from 2007) which you can find here.

You'll need to integrate it into the mobo's BIOS though but that can be done. I did it too using CBROM219.EXE which I believe was the latest version at the time I did it. The Award BIOS is modular and these modules can be extracted and added with this utility. Do some research and you'll find out how to do it.

So I've given myself a crash course in CBROM. As I understand it (as a newb to bios) I need both the latest BIOS files and SATA controller files downloaded (can't use the ones already installed) and in each there should be a .bin file - I take that .bin bios file for the SI 3114 chip and integrate it with the motherboard bios using CBROM - which i think i understand the process for or at least have the instructions.

Ok,* but cannot seem to work out how to obtain the .bin files. I've downloaded the SiI3114 update from the Sil image site but the extracted folder doesn't contain a .bin file - only .htm .cat .inf .sys .dll .oem file extensions. Still waiting on the BIOS update from EPOX but their support is pretty useless these days so searching for a download on the web - hopefully the bin file is in there - but I've also read if there is a .rom file I can change the extension.

None of the CBROM tutorials seem to mention this problem, so I figure it's something pretty simple I've missed.

Please help ME! If some one has the 10/6/04 BIOS for me to download that would be great!

mullenmj, Jul 16, 2010
  2. mullenmj

mullenmj

now have bios but not sata .bin file

now have bios but not sata .bin file

mullenmj, Jul 16, 2010
Ask a Question