    gip Guest

    I need an Intel assembly program that uses most-all of Intel 32 bit opcodes.
    thx

    gip, Sep 22, 2007

  2. gip

    John Dallman Guest

    In article <46f45eff$0$501$>,
    (gip) wrote:

    > I need an Intel assembly program that uses most-all of Intel 32 bit
    > opcodes.

    You won't get anything useful unless you explain what you want it for.

    --
    John Dallman
    "C++ - the FORTRAN of the early 21st century."

    John Dallman, Sep 22, 2007

  3. gip

    gip Guest

    I need it for BIT (Built In Test) of the PentiumM chip. Since I don't know
    Intel assembly, I used assembly code from C/C++, but that program is much
    longer than necessary, and I still have quite a few opcodes not used.

    gip, Sep 27, 2007
  4. gip

    John Dallman Guest

    In article <46fba455$0$503$>,
    (gip) wrote:

    > I need it for BIT (Built In Test) of the PentiumM chip. Since I don't
    > know Intel assembly, I used assembly code from C/C++, but that
    > program is much longer than necessary, and I still have quite a few
    > opcodes not used.

    What are you writing? There are commercial test programs around that do
    this already: are you building some kind of embedded system without a
    third-party OS?

    It should be noted that running every instruction once is *not* a
    complete test that a processor is working. You need to work through
    various kinds of bit patterns, test the memory modes, and so on. It is
    quite a big job.

    If this is for something commercial, approach Intel. If it isn't
    commercial, you have a chance to learn a great deal about processors,
    but doing this properly will be months of work. You'll need to learn
    about what electronics engineers consider adequate testing, and you'll
    become quite expert about the finest details of processors. Expect to
    take up reading Intel and AMD errata notes in a serious way, and to
    write software that cares about precise models and steppings. You'll
    have to decide what the oldest processors you want to support are, and
    you'll need quite an assortment of machines with different processors.

    One interesting challenge at the start will be to write a bootstrap for
    this tester: a framework for running tests that's written in a minimal
    subset of the instructions.

    Basically, doing this yourself thoroughly means acquiring several rooms
    full of machines and becoming an expert in assembly language and
    processor history. If Intel will talk to you, try there first.

    John Dallman, Sep 27, 2007