Intel Extreme onboard integrated graphics: can be used with VGA/PCIboard?

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Soyo Guy, Nov 19, 2006.

  1. Soyo Guy

    Soyo Guy Guest

    My question pertains to a Soyo motherboard (SY-P4I845PE/GVISA Plus)
    with Intel 845PE/GV chipset. I believe this chipset has an integrated
    video controller with 8 mb of video memory (this component seems to be
    called "Intel Extreme Graphics").

    I belive that my question may very well pertain to any motherboard
    with an Intel Extreme Graphics component that is part of the
    motherboard.

    My question is this: Is it possible for the Intel Extreme graphics
    adapter to be functional under Windows XP in addition to a PCI-mounted
    video card?

    I say PCI because the Soyo motherboard in this case does not have an
    AGP slot (and it doesn't have PCI-express either).

    For example, I recently installed an ATI Radeon 9250 PCI video card
    into the above Soyo motherboard and tried to get the on-board Intel
    adapter to function, but it simply wouldn't drive a monitor when the
    ATI was active. The ATI board has dual monitor support, and when
    bringing up the configuration window it appeared to know that there
    was a third monitor available to it (which would have been the
    on-board Intel Extreme) - but it wouldn't let me set the display
    resolution (it was fixed at something like -1 x -1 instead of the
    typical 640 x 480, etc).

    So my experience so far is that given a motherboard with an integrated
    Intel Extreme graphics adapter, that adapter can't function as a
    secondary display adapter when another adapter is plugged into a PCI
    slot. Is this true?

    PS: The Soyo wouldn't boot unless I had the ATI Radeon card plugged
    into the second PCI slot. When plugged into the first PCI slot, the
    machine wouldn't even post. What's up with that?

    Soyo Guy, Nov 19, 2006