Intel is rumored to have struck a deal with Sony to provide LarrabeeGPU for PlayStation4

Discussion in 'Intel' started by AirRaid, Feb 7, 2009.

  1. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    Intel is shooting for PlayStation 4, but has it scored?

    A new rumor suggests that Intel has succeeded in its efforts to place
    its forthcoming discrete GPU product, codenamed Larrabee, in the next
    generation of Sony's PlayStation game console.
    By Jon Stokes | Last updated February 6, 2009 2:20[/b]

    I've known for a while, and even mentioned on Ars, that Intel has a
    team that's actively courting the Sony PlayStation 4 contract, and
    Intel VP Pat Gelsinger affirmed to me in an interview that the company
    would love to be in a next-generation console. But The Inquirer's
    Charlie Demerjian has published a whale of a post-CES rumor claiming
    that Intel's forthcoming Larrabee GPU did indeed score the GPU spot on
    Sony's next-gen console.

    There will be a ton of skepticism over this, and for good reason—I
    myself have actually had informal, off-the-record conversations that
    indicate to me that there may not be a lot of love for Intel on the
    technical front inside of Sony. But this rumor has a lot going for it.
    I'll enumerate the plusses and minuses below, but before jumping in
    let's hand the mic over to official Sony PR for their take.
    Jon Stokes

    "We do not comment on rumors and speculations. Our utmost priority is
    to further increase the installed base for PS3 and PSP, with more new
    and exciting entertainment and services (game/non-game and package/
    network)," a Sony spokesperson told Ars. "PS3 is still in its third
    year from launch and it is too premature to talk about the next-
    generation home platform. At this time, nothing concrete has been
    decided."

    I actually believe that nothing concrete has been decided. But Sony
    may be leaning one way or the other. Let's look at the forces at work.
    It's all about the (rapidly shrinking) bottom line

    The number one, overriding factor in any decision that Sony makes
    right now is money—and I don't mean, "how will we grow our console
    marketshare and conquer the living room," but "how will we stop
    hemorrhaging money and ensure that, whatever happens with the next
    generation of consoles, we attain profitability with the PS4 as
    quickly as possible." Given this new reality, I find Charlie's claim
    that Intel essentially bought its way into the PS4—technical
    considerations be damned—very convincing.

    This "ten-year console" stuff, where Sony looks at a console's overall
    profitability over the course of a decade? That's the kind of thing
    you can afford to do when you're not staring into the abyss. Intel has
    deep enough pockets and enough fab capacity to take a real hit to its
    margins on Larrabee and offer Sony a cheap GPU with guaranteed
    availability. If any semi maker is going to survive this recession and
    come out the other side still fully invested in the success of a
    discrete graphics product, it will be Intel.

    As for the Kuturagi-style grand visions of Pixar-quality graphics in
    the living room, and networked consoles all changing the way we
    entertain ourselves, that, too, is bull-market bull. With the PS4,
    Sony will just want to stay in the game, and have a very quick path to
    profitability. One might even go so far as to say that, at this point,
    Sony execs probably wish they had gone the Wii route.

    Note that these same financial pressures also drastically change the
    cross-platform development equation from the console vendor's
    perspective. In the distant, more profit-friendly past past of early
    2008, console makers still courted exclusive titles, and Sony in
    particular counted it as a major plus that games optimized to take
    full advantage of PS3 wouldn't be easily portable to Xbox or the PC.

    But in today's world of shrinking margins, Sony's incentives have
    shifted 180 degrees, and with Larrabee (especially if it's paired with
    a Nehalem-derived CPU), Sony can actually boast, "write it once, run
    it on the PlayStation 4 and the PC," to developers.

    To sum up, Sony has paid a heavy price for its efforts to attract
    exclusive titles to the PS3 by promising developers superior visuals,
    and that's a price that the company cannot afford to pay with its next
    console.
    What about Cell?

    My guess is that if Sony were free to fantasize about the console that
    it would ideally like to produce with PS4, it would probably just
    double down on Cell. And why not? The same things that make Cell hard
    to program will also plague Larrabee. The programming problems that
    come with the many-core paradigm—a paradigm that both Cell and
    Larrabee fit under—are fundamental, algorithm-level design problems
    that are essentially ISA-indifferent. (Yes, this is a shift from my
    previous "x86 will own the GPU stance.")

    So Sony could safely just do more of Cell with PS4 by just increasing
    the number of dedicated vector units and general-purpose cores. This
    would also give the company free backwards compatibility with existing
    PS3 titles, and, of course, enable it to leverage existing investments
    in the PS3 developer toolchain and in Cell itself.

    Ultimately, the question of which horse Sony bets on next hinges on
    the numbers, and specifically on whether Intel is able to paint
    Larrabee as the cheaper option going forward, even when the cost of
    ditching the hardware and software investment in Cell is factored in.

    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/02/intel-is-shooting-for-playstation-4-but-has-it-scored.ars

    AirRaid, Feb 7, 2009

  2. AirRaid

    Bigguy Guest

    AirRaid wrote:

> [...]
    > come with the many-core paradigm—a paradigm that both Cell and
    > Larrabee fit under—are fundamental, algorithm-level design problems
    > that are essentially ISA-indifferent. (Yes, this is a shift from my
    > previous "x86 will own the GPU stance.")
    >
    > So Sony could safely just do more of Cell with PS4 by just increasing
    > the number of dedicated vector units and general-purpose cores. This
    > would also give the company free backwards compatibility with existing
    > PS3 titles, and, of course, enable it to leverage existing investments
    > in the PS3 developer toolchain and in Cell itself.
    >
    > Ultimately, the question of which horse Sony bets on next hinges on
    > the numbers, and specifically on whether Intel is able to paint
    > Larrabee as the cheaper option going forward, even when the cost of
    > ditching the hardware and software investment in Cell is factored in.

    I don't think Sony has the money to develop a PS4.

    Bigguy, Feb 15, 2009

  3. AirRaid

    Jack Guest

    Re: Intel is rumored to have struck a deal with Sony to provide Larrabee GPU for PlayStation4

    Bigguy wrote:
    :: AirRaid wrote:

    <snip>
    ::
    :: I don't think Sony has the money to develop a PS4.

    Not only do you lamers x-post this dribble like crazy, but then you add
    insult to injury to not trim the post with the equally lame, one-liner
    reply. What a bunch of idiots!

    Jack, Feb 15, 2009
  4. AirRaid

    Robert Miles Guest

    "Bigguy" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> that are essentially ISA-indifferent. (Yes, this is a shift from my
    >> previous "x86 will own the GPU stance.")
    >>
    >> So Sony could safely just do more of Cell with PS4 by just increasing
    >> the number of dedicated vector units and general-purpose cores. This
    >> would also give the company free backwards compatibility with existing
    >> PS3 titles, and, of course, enable it to leverage existing investments
    >> in the PS3 developer toolchain and in Cell itself.
    >>
    >> Ultimately, the question of which horse Sony bets on next hinges on
    >> the numbers, and specifically on whether Intel is able to paint
    >> Larrabee as the cheaper option going forward, even when the cost of
    >> ditching the hardware and software investment in Cell is factored in.
    >>

    >> http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/02/intel-is-shooting-for-playstation-4-but-has-it-scored.ars

    > I don't think Sony has the money to develop a PS4.

    ..
    Any idea whether the Larrabee will be compatible with PS3GRID, now
    renamed GPUGRID, one of the sources of heavy users of PS3s?

    Robert Miles, Feb 16, 2009