Intel pentium 4 Motherboard USB question

Discussion in 'Intel' started by CIL, May 28, 2007.

  1. CIL

    CIL Guest

    Top of the evening,

    If this is not the correct group Please let me know, any help will be
    appreciated.

    I have a PC that has the above motherboard with a 2.53Ghz chip. The PC is
    about 20 months old. It has 4 usb ports.

    About 6 months ago I needed another usb port and bought a hub (stratitec)
    that has certified Hi Speed on the front of the unit. I plugged this into
    an existing usb port and plugged 2 thumb drives into the hub. I do not know
    if this is a coincidence or what but ever since I get a message when I plug
    any usb device into any of the 4 ports that says some thing to the effect
    of "this unit can perform faster".

    I bought an external drive and it is extremely slow on this machine - used
    it on my laptop and much faster.

    What do I need to check/do?

    Thanks to all.
    CIL, May 28, 2007

  2. CIL

    Bob Bailin Guest

    "CIL" <> wrote in message news:2MG6i.189752$...
    > Top of the evening,
    >
    > If this is not the correct group Please let me know, any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > I have a PC that has the above motherboard with a 2.53Ghz chip. The PC is about 20
    > months old. It has 4 usb ports.
    >
    > About 6 months ago I needed another usb port and bought a hub (stratitec) that has
    > certified Hi Speed on the front of the unit. I plugged this into an existing usb port
    > and plugged 2 thumb drives into the hub. I do not know if this is a coincidence or what
    > but ever since I get a message when I plug any usb device into any of the 4 ports that
    > says some thing to the effect of "this unit can perform faster".
    >
    > I bought an external drive and it is extremely slow on this machine - used it on my
    > laptop and much faster.
    >
    > What do I need to check/do?
    >
    > Thanks to all.

    If you unplug the hub from an existing USB port and plug the thumb drive
    directly into that port, do you still get this message ("this unit can perform
    faster")?

    If not, then your hub is not really USB 2.0 compliant, despite what it
    says on the package. You're only getting 1.1 speeds.

    If you still get the message when plugged directly into a motherboard USB
    port, then you should go into the mb's BIOS setup and enable USB 2.0
    support.

    Bob
    Bob Bailin, May 29, 2007

  3. CIL

    CIL Guest

    Hi Bob,
    Yes I have not used the hub for several months (unplugged) and I still get
    the "this unit can perform faster" message on all thumb drives and the new
    Ext drive.

    Where do I check to see which drivers that I have loaded and how can I
    verify that they are correct. I would bet $$ that at one time this PC was
    operating at 2.0.

    Thanks for the help..

    CIL, May 29, 2007
  4. CIL

    Bob Bailin Guest

    You can go into Device Manager and right-click on all of the devices
    listed in the USB section and uninstall these devices.

    Reboot the computer, go into the BIOS and verify that any USB settings
    are set to 2.0 or hi-speed mode.

    When Windows starts up again, the USB controllers, hubs and devices
    will be re-detected, hopefully as 2.0 devices this time. Any thumb drive
    you plug into a motherboard USB port should *not* give you that warning
    message.

    You don't mention which motherboard you're using. I would check the
    specs for the mb model and see if it does have USB 2.0 ports builtin.

    Bob

    Bob Bailin, May 30, 2007
  5. CIL

    CIL Guest

    Bob,

    I got it. I went to Intel website and downloaded and installed the drivers.

    Works fine now, can't understand why they were blown away.

    Thanks for you help and hope that you have a great weekend.

    CIL, Jun 2, 2007