    of it not working as it should,
    BIOS is latest as is the board drivers, and the video drivers. ANy ideas
    anyone ????
    Jack, Mar 21, 2009

  2. Jack

    daytripper Guest

    On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 22:20:20 GMT, "Jack" <> wrote:

    >I have just finished this system build and have one small problem..
    >I have 32 bit Xp and 3 gig of DDR3 installed together with 2 Geforce 9600
    >GSO. Now the problem arrises when i boot after the system has been off
    >overnight or for some time during the day.
    >On first boot it goes through the process then i have no picture on the
    >monitor, its only a day old so i know its not that and anyway, it did it
    >with the old one as well.
    >If i reset then the system boots to the naughty screen lol......... i
    >choose to load windows normally and the system boots straigh to GUI. Its a
    >pain more than anything and with the whole set up being new i hate the idea
    >of it not working as it should,
    >BIOS is latest as is the board drivers, and the video drivers. ANy ideas
    >anyone ????

    "its only a day old so i know its not that and anyway, it did it
    with the old one as well."

    You might want to explain that as it is likely key to your problems.
    What parts did you reuse from "the old one", for instance...
    daytripper, Mar 21, 2009

  3. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Sorry, i can see that seems to make little sense now, Anyway, there is
    nothing in the systen from the old one it was the monitor i was talking
    about.

    I bought a new one to go with the new system but tried the old one as well.
    Same problem occurs with both
    Jack, Mar 21, 2009
  4. Jack

    daytripper Guest

    On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 22:47:39 GMT, "Jack" <> wrote:

    >Sorry, i can see that seems to make little sense now, Anyway, there is
    >nothing in the systen from the old one it was the monitor i was talking
    >about.
    >
    >I bought a new one to go with the new system but tried the old one as well.
    >Same problem occurs with both

    When you boot from a "cold state" do you ever see the bios-driven screens or
    are those black as well?

    If you at least see the initial Windows boot screen I'd try pressing F8 when
    Windows tries to load and enable boot logging, then examine the ntbtlog.txt in
    the \<windir> folder to see what happened...
    daytripper, Mar 22, 2009
  5. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Ok I know its really Smack Over

    But what a silly name,

    Thank you daytripper and i see theintel screen, the changing number and
    letter sequences in the bottom right corner and windows Xp screen its not
    till the actual boot to winows that it dies, press reset and let it go again
    and it boots straight in.

    Maybe its the double graphics,,,,,,,,, but i suppose if thats all i have to
    complain about then its not so bad.

    Awesome when it does boot though.
    Jack, Mar 22, 2009
  6. Re: Ok I know its really Smack Over

    I have seen a similar issue before where the computer will display all the
    images up till the logon screen and then the display would just go blank.
    unplug and replug the monitor on the same port and it would start working
    again. Some sort of incompatibility between certain monitors and video cards
    with the monitor not correctly identifying itself on the dvi port. Was
    solved on this particular computer by putting a DVI->VGA adapter on the
    video card and then running a VGA cable to the monitor (monitor had both DVI
    and VGA ports). Not an ideal solution because DVI is better quality that VGA
    but the computer worked first time every time.
    HTH
    Robert

    Robert McMillan, Mar 22, 2009
  7. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Re: Ok I know its really Smack Over

    Thanks for that Robert but it does it with the Formac and with a new Dell. I
    can only think to take one graphics card out and try it with a single one
    in and see if it is something to do with the graphics set up.
    Jack, Mar 22, 2009
  8. Jack

    Jack Guest

    And the only solution Intel online help can come up with

    Memory not seated right,,,,,,,,,,,, no

    Power leads to graphics cards not plugged in right.,............... no

    Power lead loose....................... no

    In other words they have no idea whatsoever so its users fault.
    Jack, Mar 23, 2009
  9. Jack

    daytripper Guest

    On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:10:45 GMT, "Jack" <> wrote:

    >Thanks for that Robert but it does it with the Formac and with a new Dell. I
    >can only think to take one graphics card out and try it with a single one
    >in and see if it is something to do with the graphics set up.

    That'd certainly be worth a try. Let us know what happens...
    daytripper, Mar 23, 2009
  10. Jack

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Jack wrote:
    > But what a silly name,
    >
    > Thank you daytripper and i see theintel screen, the changing number and
    > letter sequences in the bottom right corner and windows Xp screen its not
    > till the actual boot to winows that it dies, press reset and let it go again
    > and it boots straight in.
    >
    > Maybe its the double graphics,,,,,,,,, but i suppose if thats all i have to
    > complain about then its not so bad.
    >
    > Awesome when it does boot though.

    Do you know what sized power supply you have? For SLI or Crossfire, you
    typically need at least a 600W power supply.

    Yousuf Khan
    Yousuf Khan, Mar 23, 2009
  11. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Re: Intel Smack Over and i7

    Works fine on single graphics so it doesn't like Sli with these particular
    graphics cards in.
    Jack, Mar 25, 2009
  12. Jack

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Re: Intel Smack Over and i7

    Jack wrote:
    > Works fine on single graphics so it doesn't like Sli with these particular
    > graphics cards in.

    Is it possible that it doesn't have enough time to power up both the
    video cards when it first starts? Thus when you reboot again, both video
    cards are already powered up and everything is fine.

    Yousuf Khan
    Yousuf Khan, Mar 26, 2009