intel wireless card

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Peter, Mar 3, 2007.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I noticed dell is now selling the Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N and I
    wanted to find out if anyone new if this was flash upgradable to when
    the N comes a standard. I think now its in its 2nd draft revision but
    still not a standard which probably won't be until later this year.

    Thanks,
    Pete

    1. Advertising

  2. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Anything you buy now that is Pre-N is likely to be a throwaway when true 802.11n
    equipment becomes available, conforming to the standard and interoperating
    freely with other standard 802.11n devices, using true 802.11n capabilities, of
    course.

    That's the bad news. The good news is that 802.11n standard microPCI cards for
    notebooks will probably cost no more than $40 to $50, like today's 802.11g
    cards... Ben Myers

    On 3 Mar 2007 13:27:37 -0800, "Peter" <> wrote:

    >I noticed dell is now selling the Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N and I
    >wanted to find out if anyone new if this was flash upgradable to when
    >the N comes a standard. I think now its in its 2nd draft revision but
    >still not a standard which probably won't be until later this year.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Pete

    1. Advertising

  3. Chris558

    Chris558 Guest

    On Mar 3, 4:14 pm, Ben Myers <>
    wrote:
    > Anything you buy now that is Pre-N is likely to be a throwaway when true 802.11n
    > equipment becomes available, conforming to the standard and interoperating
    > freely with other standard 802.11n devices, using true 802.11n capabilities, of
    > course.
    >
    > That's the bad news. The good news is that 802.11n standard microPCI cards for
    > notebooks will probably cost no more than $40 to $50, like today's 802.11g
    > cards... Ben Myers

    is there a way to open the case of dells notebooks, inspiron 6400, and
    remove the old wireless card and put a new one in its place.

  4. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Chris558" <> wrote in message
    > On Mar 3, 4:14 pm, Ben Myers <>
    > wrote:
    >> Anything you buy now that is Pre-N is likely to be a throwaway when true
    >> 802.11n
    >> equipment becomes available, conforming to the standard and
    >> interoperating
    >> freely with other standard 802.11n devices, using true 802.11n
    >> capabilities, of
    >> course.
    >>
    >> That's the bad news. The good news is that 802.11n standard microPCI
    >> cards for
    >> notebooks will probably cost no more than $40 to $50, like today's
    >> 802.11g
    >> cards... Ben Myers

    > is there a way to open the case of dells notebooks, inspiron 6400, and
    > remove the old wireless card and put a new one in its place.

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6400/en/om/parts.htm#wp1052769

    Stew

  5. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    I neglected to state that the internal wifi card in the newer notebooks may not
    be miniPCI, but another newer standard form factor. Same deal though. Easily
    removed and replaced due to sensible (finally!) industry-wide standardization.