Intermittently stripey Hard Drive icon in OSX

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Vaughan Wittorff, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. I have noticed a strange bug in Mac OS X 10.1.6, on an iBook.

    Everything will be fine for some time. Then after some hours/days of
    having the machine running, often (but not always) after one or more
    sleep/wakeups, single- or double-clicking on the main desktop Hard Drive
    icon will cause it to change to a darker-grey version (as usual) but
    with one, two or three thick black horizonal bands across the icon.
    Often the icon does back to normal when it is deselected (so that it
    goes back to the lighter shade of grey), but after this behaviour has
    been going on for some time, the lighter grey icon also gets corrupted
    in the same way. Later, the Hard Drive icon at the top of the Computer
    folder goes the same way. Also, the number or density of black
    horizontal bands can get worse and worse.

    Restarting puts things back to normal... for a while!

    Has anyone seen similar behaviour? Any educated guesses about the
    cause? And most importantly: Is there a cure? (please don't say upgrade
    to Jaguar or Panther - I'm intending to do that sometime soon anyway)

    I do not autoload OS9, and never use the iBook in Classic mode.

    Cheers,
    Vaughan

    1. Advertising

  2. PageNinja

    PageNinja Guest

    > Is there a cure? (please don't say upgrade
    > to Jaguar or Panther - I'm intending to do that sometime soon anyway)

    mmfmfmf mf Jagmff om Panmff - they fix it. Annoying it was to me too. I'd
    wait for Panmff now though.

    1. Advertising

  3. PageNinja wrote:

    > Vaughan Wittorff wrote: [anally added back in for completeness by VW]
    > > I have noticed a strange bug in Mac OS X 10.1.6, on an iBook.
    > > Everything will be fine for some time. Then after some hours/days of
    > > having the machine running, often (but not always) after one or more
    > > sleep/wakeups, single- or double-clicking on the main desktop Hard
    > > Drive icon will cause it to change to a darker-grey version (as usual)
    > > but with one, two or three thick black horizonal bands across the icon.

    <stuff deleted>
    > > Has anyone seen similar behaviour? Any educated guesses about the
    > > cause? And most importantly: Is there a cure? (please don't say
    > > upgrade to Jaguar or Panther - I'm intending to do that sometime
    > > soon anyway)
    > >

    > mmfmfmf mf Jagmff om Panmff - they fix it. Annoying it was to me too. I'd
    > wait for Panmff now though.

    So does that mean you used to see the same on OSX 10.1? That would make
    me happy - at least in the sense that I'm not alone (at least didn't
    used to be until I was the last with 10.1).

    And you know for a fact that Jaguar fixes it? That would also make me
    happy.

    I guess no-one would actually have a cure in OSX 10.1 though?...

    Vaughan

  4. In article <bhrkiq$5e9$>,
    Vaughan Wittorff <"vww20"@(nospam)cam.ac.uk> wrote:

    > PageNinja wrote:
    > >
    > > Vaughan Wittorff wrote: [anally added back in for completeness by VW]
    > > > I have noticed a strange bug in Mac OS X 10.1.6, on an iBook.
    > > > Everything will be fine for some time. Then after some hours/days of
    > > > having the machine running, often (but not always) after one or more
    > > > sleep/wakeups, single- or double-clicking on the main desktop Hard
    > > > Drive icon will cause it to change to a darker-grey version (as usual)
    > > > but with one, two or three thick black horizonal bands across the icon.

    > <stuff deleted>
    > > > Has anyone seen similar behaviour? Any educated guesses about the
    > > > cause? And most importantly: Is there a cure? (please don't say
    > > > upgrade to Jaguar or Panther - I'm intending to do that sometime
    > > > soon anyway)
    > > >

    > > mmfmfmf mf Jagmff om Panmff - they fix it. Annoying it was to me too. I'd
    > > wait for Panmff now though.

    > So does that mean you used to see the same on OSX 10.1? That would make
    > me happy - at least in the sense that I'm not alone (at least didn't
    > used to be until I was the last with 10.1).

    This was a known bug in Mac OS X 10.1. Many people saw it, and it was
    discussed in this forum extensively.

    > And you know for a fact that Jaguar fixes it? That would also make me
    > happy.

    Jaguar fixes it.

    > I guess no-one would actually have a cure in OSX 10.1 though?...

    There is no cure in 10.1. However, this bug is entirely cosmetic, and
    is therefore harmless and can be safely ignored.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  5. Jason

    Jason Guest

    In article <bhrh5r$30v$>, Vaughan Wittorff <"vww20"@(nospam)cam.ac.uk> wrote:

    > Has anyone seen similar behaviour? Any educated guesses about the
    > cause? And most importantly: Is there a cure? (please don't say upgrade
    > to Jaguar or Panther - I'm intending to do that sometime soon anyway)

    You already have the answer. It's 10.1.x. You shouldn't have waited so long to upgrade the OS. :)

  6. Tom Harrington wrote:

    > > So does that mean you used to see the same on OSX 10.1? That would make
    > > me happy - at least in the sense that I'm not alone (at least didn't
    > > used to be until I was the last with 10.1).

    > This was a known bug in Mac OS X 10.1. Many people saw it, and it was
    > discussed in this forum extensively.

    Okay, thanks, but I wouldn't know that since I'm a newcomer to this
    forum and the old threads have long gone...<quick check - actually not
    so quick>...Okay, I see that I should have gone to Groups on google, but
    it was *very* hard to find. After trial-and-error I found had to search
    on "10.1 hard drive icon lines" and only one relevant thread found. Can
    you suggest any easier way to check the archived collective memory?

    > > I guess no-one would actually have a cure in OSX 10.1 though?...

    > There is no cure in 10.1. However, this bug is entirely cosmetic, and
    > is therefore harmless and can be safely ignored.

    Good.

  7. Cat

    Cat Guest

    Back in the days of System 3.2 (or something), I once got a call from a
    client who was freaking out about her folder that "had gone all spotty".
    In those days, an open folder changed it's icon to a folder with a
    regular pattern of black pixels - the overall effect was a primitive
    greyed-out look.

    She wanted to know if the spotty folder meant she had a virus.

    Meow

  8. Simon Slavin

    Simon Slavin Guest

    In article <bhrl0e$5gv$>,
    Vaughan Wittorff <"vww20"@(nospam)cam.ac.uk> wrote:

    >BTW, this is my second posting, where I have posted to all three groups
    >above. I feel that I should check: is there anyone that thinks this is
    >inappropriate?

    Yes. The groups were chartered for different purposes. If there
    were seventeen groups, one for each country, would you be cross-
    posting to all of them ?

  9. Simon Slavin wrote:
    > >BTW, this is my second posting, where I have posted to all three groups
    > >above. I feel that I should check: is there anyone that thinks this is
    > >inappropriate?

    > Yes. The groups were chartered for different purposes. If there
    > were seventeen groups, one for each country, would you be cross-
    > posting to all of them ?

    My reasoning is that comp.sys.mac.system is the de facto international
    group; I have come from and will be returning to Australia (and bought
    the computer there), and am presently residing and working in the UK.

    Any suggestions Simon about which would be appropriate, and which not?
    I am open to any reasoning.

  10. Jason

    Jason Guest

    In article <BB6B03B6966834E42C@0.0.0.0>, Simon Slavin <@localhost> wrote:

    > In article <bhrl0e$5gv$>,
    > Vaughan Wittorff <"vww20"@(nospam)cam.ac.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >BTW, this is my second posting, where I have posted to all three groups
    > >above. I feel that I should check: is there anyone that thinks this is
    > >inappropriate?

    > Yes. The groups were chartered for different purposes. If there
    > were seventeen groups, one for each country, would you be cross-
    > posting to all of them ?

    Give the guy a break. 3 groups cross-posted is hardly a hanging offence :)

  11. Jason

    Jason Guest

    In article <1g033sa.kl6sxkodni6uN%>, Mike Rosenberg <> wrote:

    > Jason <> wrote:
    >
    > > Give the guy a break. 3 groups cross-posted is hardly a hanging offence :)

    > Give Simon a break. He responded after the guy _asked_ whether his
    > cross posting was appropriate.

    Yeah, and look again at his response.

  12. Jason

    Jason Guest

    In article <1g04zaf.1bfkjp11d238deN%>, Mike Rosenberg <> wrote:

    > Jason <> wrote:
    >
    > > > Give Simon a break. He responded after the guy _asked_ whether his
    > > > cross posting was appropriate.

    > > Yeah, and look again at his response.

    > Yeah, the guy asked if it was appropriate, Simon said it was not.
    > What's the problem?

    He said more than that, and you know it.

    This is not Contradiction 101.

  13. Jason

    Jason Guest

    In article <1g05on2.meefrq1wfemioN%>, Mike Rosenberg <> wrote:

    > Jason <> wrote:
    >
    > > > Yeah, the guy asked if it was appropriate, Simon said it was not.
    > > > What's the problem?

    > > He said more than that, and you know it.

    > Here's exactly what I know. The entire exchange between Vaughan and
    > Simon was:
    >
    > > >BTW, this is my second posting, where I have posted to all three groups
    > > >above. I feel that I should check: is there anyone that thinks this is
    > > >inappropriate?

    > > Yes. The groups were chartered for different purposes. If there
    > > were seventeen groups, one for each country, would you be cross-
    > > posting to all of them ?

    That last sentence is what I was talking about.

    And IMHO, to take issue with someone posting to 3 groups is being a
    little harsh.

    > Vaughan asked his question, Simon responded he thought it was
    > appropriate and explained why he felt that way. Were there other posts
    > I missed? BTW, I also read Vaughan responding to Simon thusly:
    >
    > > My reasoning is that comp.sys.mac.system is the de facto international
    > > group; I have come from and will be returning to Australia (and bought
    > > the computer there), and am presently residing and working in the UK.

    Perfectly good reasoning on Vaughan's part. More traffic generated by
    some anal wannabe netcop than anything from the OP :)

  14. PeterD

    PeterD Guest

    Mike Rosenberg <> wrote:

    > Mike Rosenberg <> wrote:
    >
    > > Say, aren't you the same Jason who posted some anti-Semitic statements
    > > in this newsgroup a while back?

    > I'm sorry, I specifically meant comp.sys.mac.system, not the other
    > groups. And I now know from Google that you're, indeed, the same guy.

    And you, Mr Rosenberg, have a speicfifdc problem with anti smiteic.?
    damn it just doesnt' worke when youer rdrucnnk.

    --
    Pd

  15. Jason

    Jason Guest

    In article <1g05sk4.10w7655lco484N%>, Mike Rosenberg <> wrote:

    > Mike Rosenberg <> wrote:
    >
    > > Say, aren't you the same Jason who posted some anti-Semitic statements
    > > in this newsgroup a while back?

    > I'm sorry, I specifically meant comp.sys.mac.system, not the other
    > groups. And I now know from Google that you're, indeed, the same guy.

    I'm glad you took the effort to answer your own question.

    I said those things to offend 1 person, anyone else was simply collateral damage.

  16. d (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > Jason <> wrote:
    >
    > > And IMHO, to take issue with someone posting to 3 groups is being a
    > > little harsh.

    > "Take issue"?
    >
    > > Perfectly good reasoning on Vaughan's part. More traffic generated by
    > > some anal wannabe netcop than anything from the OP :)

    > Vaughan _ASKED_ for opinions! You know very well that he did. Simon is
    > "some anal wannabe netcop" for responding?

    Hi there,

    Rest assured that I took Simon's opinion for what it was worth, and as
    Mike pointed out, I did ask for his opinion and was glad to receive it
    (thanks Simon and Mike). That having been said, I was somewhat relieved
    when Jason jumped to my defence (thanks Jason), because it verified that
    there was a variety of opinion on the group(s) and that some people were
    happy with the reasons behind my crossposting. There was a separate
    followup on the UK group which was also helpful.

    So gentlemen, I hope that's the end of the matter.

    > Say, aren't you the same Jason who posted some anti-Semitic statements
    > in this newsgroup a while back?

    Just a technical point - I think you mean "anti-Jewish" rather than
    "anti-Semitic". It is true that the latter is often used in place of
    the former, but it is not strictly correct, since the Semitic peoples
    also include Arabs, Arameans, Babylonians, Carthaginians, Ethiopians and
    Phoenicians.

    In any case, I think it is a stretch to call Jason's post from 21 Feb
    anything other than anti-Mendel (apologies to Mendel).

    Vaughan

  17. Simon Slavin

    Simon Slavin Guest

    In article <bi3jsq$ouj$>,
    Vaughan Wittorff <"vww20"@(nospam)cam.ac.uk> wrote:

    >My reasoning is that comp.sys.mac.system is the de facto international
    >group; I have come from and will be returning to Australia (and bought
    >the computer there), and am presently residing and working in the UK.
    >
    >Any suggestions Simon about which would be appropriate, and which not?

    I see the local Mac groups as having two purposes: to answer
    questions that apply to one country (e.g. Cheap place to buy
    power supply, how do I get u-umlaut in my text) and to provide
    answers for those people too timid to post to the big groups
    because they're full of flame-wars and trolling.

    You obviously aren't part of the second group since you cross-
    posted to one of the big groups.

    Your question is not specific about any particular country: the
    answer isn't different just because you're in Australia, for
    example. I'd have said that posting it to c.s.m.s was fine but
    not the other two.

    Hell, at least you didn't add c.s.m.misc in too !