Internet connexion

Discussion in 'Apple' started by purbrookian, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. purbrookian

    purbrookian Guest

    Can someone tell me how hotel internet facilities are usually
    offered? Ethernet or regular dialup? And what cables should one have
    on hand?

  2. In article <>, purbrookian
    <-spam.invalid> wrote:

    > Can someone tell me how hotel internet facilities are usually
    > offered? Ethernet or regular dialup?

    Depends on the hotel. Some have one or the other. Some have both.
    Some only provide wireless (802.11) access. Some charge for it, some
    don't. And some who pay for it and use wireless base stations leave
    them unsecured. <grin>

    > And what cables should one have on hand?

    I'd recommend both. Some hotels will loan you an ethernet cable if you
    ask. Others will sell you one. Still others have them in the room,
    supplying a cable in a holder on the desk rather than just a jack.

    --
    Garner R. Miller
    Clifton Park, NY =USA=

    1. Advertising

  3. In article <>,
    -spam.invalid (purbrookian) wrote:

    > Can someone tell me how hotel internet facilities are usually
    > offered? Ethernet or regular dialup? And what cables should one have
    > on hand?

    They usually offer ethernet, USB, and dialup; for Macs, you should use
    Ethernet. They generally provide all the cables (look for a pouch
    hanging in the closet), but it's not a bad idea to bring your own
    straight-through ethernet cable.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA

  4. In article <>,
    purbrookian <-spam.invalid> wrote:
    >Can someone tell me how hotel internet facilities are usually
    >offered? Ethernet or regular dialup? And what cables should one have
    >on hand?

    It varies from place to place. Some time ago, it was all dialup.
    Now many places offer either a hardware ethernet connection (they
    will typically supply a cable) or wireless. Check with the specific
    hotel you are interested in.

    --
    Daniel Packman
    NCAR/ACD

  5. In article <d2ul9d$dj4$>,
    (Daniel Packman) wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > purbrookian <-spam.invalid> wrote:
    > >Can someone tell me how hotel internet facilities are usually
    > >offered? Ethernet or regular dialup? And what cables should one have
    > >on hand?

    > It varies from place to place. Some time ago, it was all dialup.
    > Now many places offer either a hardware ethernet connection (they
    > will typically supply a cable) or wireless. Check with the specific
    > hotel you are interested in.

    I haven't yet seen a wireless connection in a hotel room. In lobbies,
    yes, but not in private rooms.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA

  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Marriot - Abilene Texas - Feb 05 offered in room WiFi with instructions for
    both Windoze & MacOS
    "Barry Margolin" <> wrote in message
    > In article <d2ul9d$dj4$>,
    > (Daniel Packman) wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > purbrookian <-spam.invalid> wrote:
    > > >Can someone tell me how hotel internet facilities are usually
    > > >offered? Ethernet or regular dialup? And what cables should one have
    > > >on hand?

    > > It varies from place to place. Some time ago, it was all dialup.
    > > Now many places offer either a hardware ethernet connection (they
    > > will typically supply a cable) or wireless. Check with the specific
    > > hotel you are interested in.

    > I haven't yet seen a wireless connection in a hotel room. In lobbies,
    > yes, but not in private rooms.
    >
    > --
    > Barry Margolin,
    > Arlington, MA

  7. purbrookian

    purbrookian Guest

    > Depends on the hotel. Some have one or the other. Some have both.
    > Some only provide wireless (802.11) access. Some charge for it, some
    > don't. And some who pay for it and use wireless base stations leave
    > them unsecured. <grin>

    > Thank you everyone for your input. Should the ethernet cable be the
    > same both ends?

  8. In article <>,
    Barry Margolin <> wrote:

    > In article <d2ul9d$dj4$>,
    > (Daniel Packman) wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > purbrookian <-spam.invalid> wrote:
    > > >Can someone tell me how hotel internet facilities are usually
    > > >offered? Ethernet or regular dialup? And what cables should one have
    > > >on hand?

    > > It varies from place to place. Some time ago, it was all dialup.
    > > Now many places offer either a hardware ethernet connection (they
    > > will typically supply a cable) or wireless. Check with the specific
    > > hotel you are interested in.

    > I haven't yet seen a wireless connection in a hotel room. In lobbies,
    > yes, but not in private rooms.

    Saw this at a Holiday Inn in Portland recently. Unfortunately the floor
    I was on didn't seem to have one so the signal was a bit iffy. Used my
    cell phone instead.

    Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
    This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.

  9. Chuck Reti

    Chuck Reti Guest

    In article <>,
    Barry Margolin <> wrote:

    > I haven't yet seen a wireless connection in a hotel room. In lobbies,
    > yes, but not in private rooms.

    A number of hotel ads now tout their wireless service. A couple of weeks
    ago I stayed at a Country Inns/Suites in southern California that had
    recently enabled their 802.11b. Worked nicely, did notice signal
    hot and low spots in different parts of the room.

    Chuck Reti
    Detroit MI

  10. Joe Davison

    Joe Davison Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005, Barry Margolin wrote:
    > In article <d2ul9d$dj4$>,
    > (Daniel Packman) wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > purbrookian <-spam.invalid> wrote:
    > > >Can someone tell me how hotel internet facilities are usually
    > > >offered? Ethernet or regular dialup? And what cables should one
    > > >have on hand?

    > > It varies from place to place. Some time ago, it was all dialup.
    > > Now many places offer either a hardware ethernet connection (they
    > > will typically supply a cable) or wireless. Check with the specific
    > > hotel you are interested in.

    > I haven't yet seen a wireless connection in a hotel room. In
    > lobbies, yes, but not in private rooms.

    I don't recall which hotel anymore, but I've stayed in several hotels
    over the past 3 years with wifi in the room. Usually needed a password
    available to guests from the front desk.

    Could have been Holiday Inn, as someone else reported.

    joe