    Alex Guest

    My internet explorer keeps crashing at least once a session? I am on
    10.2.8. Any ideas?

    Alex, Oct 20, 2004

  2. Alex

    Leo Dekeo Guest

    Alex wrote:
    > My internet explorer keeps crashing at least once a session? I am on
    > 10.2.8. Any ideas?

    A browser that's up-to-date?

    Leo Dekeo, Oct 20, 2004

  3. Alex

    l Guest

    In article <>,
    (Alex) wrote:

    > My internet explorer keeps crashing at least once a session? I am on
    > 10.2.8. Any ideas?

    Safari. Or any other browser released during the last three years. IE is
    an ancient POS, toss it.

    ..lauri

    l, Oct 20, 2004
  4. Alex <> wrote:

    > My internet explorer keeps crashing at least once a session? I am on
    > 10.2.8. Any ideas?

    Quite normal behaviour for Explorer.

    IE is no longer being developed for Mac OS, so it's worth considering
    switching to a browser that is.

    If you choose to continue with IE, deleting cookies and/or emptying the
    cache might help.
    --
    Jonny

    (replace invalid with co dot uk)

    Jonny Stephens, Oct 20, 2004
  5. Alex

    Tony Soprano Guest

    In article <>,
    (Alex) wrote:

    > My internet explorer keeps crashing at least once a session? I am on
    > 10.2.8. Any ideas?

    Switch to Safari? Sorry to be flippant, but IE is a piece of shit. There
    are many better browsers out there. If Safari isn't your cup of tea, try
    Firefox or OmniWeb.

    Tony Soprano, Oct 20, 2004
  6. Alex wrote:

    > My internet explorer keeps crashing at least once a session? I am on
    > 10.2.8. Any ideas?

    Update all plug-ins. But there's no need to use Explorer anymore.

    George Williams, Oct 20, 2004
  7. Alex

    Susan Kayser Guest

    I go along with most of the previous replies--use Safari. But don't toss
    IE. Some pages work in IE but not in Safari. For example, if you are a
    NetZero user, it works by opening an IE or Netscape page, but will not
    open Safari.

    By the way--have you tried deleting the preference file for IE, to keep
    it from crashing quite so often?

    Susan K

    --
    Dr. Susan Kayser SDSS at FermiLab

    Susan Kayser, Oct 20, 2004
  8. > A browser that's up-to-date?

    Try Firefox.

    George Berger, Oct 21, 2004
  9. Alex

    clw Guest

    In article <cl6ekd$87n$>,
    Susan Kayser <> wrote:

    > I go along with most of the previous replies--use Safari. But don't toss
    > IE. Some pages work in IE but not in Safari. For example, if you are a
    > NetZero user, it works by opening an IE or Netscape page, but will not
    > open Safari.
    >
    > By the way--have you tried deleting the preference file for IE, to keep
    > it from crashing quite so often?

    If you try that be sure to move or copy your "favorites" first. they
    are in the IE prefs file and could be lost.

    clw, Oct 21, 2004
  10. Alex

    amolk Guest

    clw <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <cl6ekd$87n$>,
    > Susan Kayser <> wrote:
    >
    > > I go along with most of the previous replies--use Safari. But don't toss
    > > IE. Some pages work in IE but not in Safari. For example, if you are a
    > > NetZero user, it works by opening an IE or Netscape page, but will not
    > > open Safari.
    > >
    > > By the way--have you tried deleting the preference file for IE, to keep
    > > it from crashing quite so often?

    > If you try that be sure to move or copy your "favorites" first. they
    > are in the IE prefs file and could be lost.

    I agree that some web pages dont work well with Safari, but you might
    wanna know that most such pages worked fine with Firefox. I think
    Mozilla/ firefox is the best browser. They support almost everything
    and they are open source standard tools. IE on Mac is crap. Most of
    the time it takes hell lot of time to open even Hotmail (on my brand
    new iBook) when the same opens in firefox or mozilla in seconds.
    Consider Switching. Firefox has a lot more features than IE anyways.

    amolk, Oct 22, 2004
  11. Alex

    Darknight Guest

    In article <> Tony Soprano,
    writes:
    >Subject: Re: Internet Explorer 5.2.3 for Mac
    >From: Tony Soprano,
    >Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 07:24:49 -0700
    >>In article <>,

    > (Alex) wrote:
    >
    >> My internet explorer keeps crashing at least once a session? I am on
    >> 10.2.8. Any ideas?

    >Switch to Safari? Sorry to be flippant, but IE is a piece of shit. There
    >are many better browsers out there. If Safari isn't your cup of tea, try
    >Firefox or OmniWeb.

    Also, try iCab which is my favorite! :)

    http://www.icab.de

    Darknight, Oct 25, 2004
  12. Alex

    Wes Groleau Guest

    George Williams wrote:

    > Update all plug-ins. But there's no need to use Explorer anymore.

    Unless you're a webmaster. Face it, it may be crap,
    but a third of the world still uses it.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Nobody believes a theoretical analysis -- except the guy who did it.
    Everybody believes an experimental analysis -- except the guy who
    did it.
    -- Unknown

    Wes Groleau, Oct 25, 2004
  13. In article <>,
    Wes Groleau <> wrote:

    > Unless you're a webmaster. Face it, it may be crap,
    > but a third of the world still uses it.

    On the Mac? Post link or STFU.

    I don't even QA in IE on the Mac. It's so fucked up that if anyone is
    really stupid enough to use it, they're too stupid to have any money
    because they don't have any brains.

    I do QA on the Mac in Firefox and Safari only.

    I also blow off iCab, Opera and all that other shit. Most of hte time
    I'm just not being paid enough to tweak every last little tweak out of
    those browsers and other than Firefox, and kinda Safari, they ALL suck.

    Vingo Optomalicious, Oct 25, 2004
  14. Alex

    Ian Gregory Guest

    Vingo Optomalicious wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Wes Groleau <> wrote:
    >
    >> Unless you're a webmaster. Face it, it may be crap,
    >> but a third of the world still uses it.

    > On the Mac? Post link or STFU.

    Yes, a link would be nice. I don't know of any recent stats
    but almost exactly a year ago John Gruber posted some stats
    for people accessing his Daring Fireball site. The relevent
    bit is:

    Browser Unique IPs
    Safari 9,883
    IE Mac 1,165
    IE Win 9,353

    For the full article see:

    http://daringfireball.net/2003/10/browser_stats

    > I don't even QA in IE on the Mac.

    I hardly QA at all. My website is all auto-generated XHTML
    from Markdown source. The Markdown.pl script produces valid
    XHTML and if any browser can't display it then it is the
    browser's problem not mine:)

    I do of course view my own website so I know it is OK. This
    is mainly using Safari, but also Lynx and occasionally IE
    (but only on Windows).

    If a webmaster had already taken the decision to create a
    non-standards based site and use feature available only in
    IE then I can see how they might want to QA for IE on Mac
    even though that would only cover a very small segment of
    the Mac audience. But basically Mac OS X needs IE like a
    fish needs a bicycle.

    --
    Ian Gregory
    http://www.zenatode.org.uk/ian/

    Ian Gregory, Oct 25, 2004
  15. Ian Gregory wrote:

    > Vingo Optomalicious wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> Wes Groleau <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Unless you're a webmaster. Face it, it may be crap,
    >>>but a third of the world still uses it.

    >>On the Mac? Post link or STFU.

    > Yes, a link would be nice. I don't know of any recent stats
    > but almost exactly a year ago John Gruber posted some stats
    > for people accessing his Daring Fireball site. The relevent
    > bit is:
    >
    > Browser Unique IPs
    > Safari 9,883
    > IE Mac 1,165
    > IE Win 9,353
    >
    > For the full article see:
    >
    > http://daringfireball.net/2003/10/browser_stats
    >

    >>I don't even QA in IE on the Mac.

    > I hardly QA at all. My website is all auto-generated XHTML
    > from Markdown source. The Markdown.pl script produces valid
    > XHTML and if any browser can't display it then it is the
    > browser's problem not mine:)
    >
    > I do of course view my own website so I know it is OK. This
    > is mainly using Safari, but also Lynx and occasionally IE
    > (but only on Windows).
    >
    > If a webmaster had already taken the decision to create a
    > non-standards based site and use feature available only in
    > IE then I can see how they might want to QA for IE on Mac
    > even though that would only cover a very small segment of
    > the Mac audience. But basically Mac OS X needs IE like a
    > fish needs a bicycle.

    IE on the Mac and IE on winders are two separate and distinct
    pieces of software, and, other than the name, have nothing
    in common with each other (or so said M$ at it's anti-trust
    trial). The rendering engines are different as far as I
    can tell.

    Other than that, the only reason that I keep IE
    on my Mac is for the "Print Preview" dialogue. It has features
    not even the winders version has and which I wish other
    browsers would incorporate, e.g. "shrink pages to fit" and "crop
    wide pages." A minor benefit, but it can save a lot of
    paper.

    NPL

    --
    "It is impossible to make anything foolproof
    because fools are so ingenious"

    Nick Landsberg, Oct 25, 2004
  16. Alex

    Darknight Guest

    In article <417d25ea$0$17683$> Ian Gregory,
    d writes:
    >Yes, a link would be nice. I don't know of any recent stats
    >but almost exactly a year ago John Gruber posted some stats
    >for people accessing his Daring Fireball site. The relevent
    >bit is:
    >
    >Browser Unique IPs
    >Safari 9,883
    >IE Mac 1,165
    >IE Win 9,353
    >
    >For the full article see:
    >
    >http://daringfireball.net/2003/10/browser_stats

    One thing to say about that site is that browsers like iCab and Opera can
    display themselves as Internet Explorer. So those counts might not be
    accurate for those types of browsers.

    Darknight, Oct 25, 2004
  17. Alex

    Alex Guest

    (Alex) wrote in message news:<>...
    > My internet explorer keeps crashing at least once a session? I am on
    > 10.2.8. Any ideas?

    Thank you for your replies....I am now trying out Firefox....and so
    far so good...and it is MUCH faster than IE ...

    Alex, Oct 26, 2004
  18. Alex

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Ian Gregory wrote:
    > Yes, a link would be nice. I don't know of any recent stats
    > but almost exactly a year ago John Gruber posted some stats
    > for people accessing his Daring Fireball site. The relevent
    > bit is:

    I didn't say on the Mac. The closest thing
    on the Mac to IE/Win is IE. As for stats,
    there are plenty of people who will tell you
    IE is over fifty percent. I think they are
    exaggerating, but the sad fact is, it's still
    far too many.

    Nevertheless, my genealogy and history web site
    is not the place to preach against Microsloth
    Especially if Microsloth users can't read it. :)

    --
    Wes Groleau

    You always have time for what you do first.

    Wes Groleau, Oct 27, 2004
  19. Alex

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Darknight wrote:
    > One thing to say about that site is that browsers like iCab and Opera can
    > display themselves as Internet Explorer. So those counts might not be
    > accurate for those types of browsers.

    Also, counts like that might say more about the audience
    than the world in general. Two years ago a webmaster
    insisted to me that he "had to" aim for IE because his
    logs showed that 90% of his audience used it. About the
    same time, I checked logs on another website and found
    IE only about half.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html

    Wes Groleau, Oct 27, 2004
  20. In article <>,
    Wes Groleau <> wrote:

    > I didn't say on the Mac.

    Well then you're a moron because as another poster pointed out, IE on
    Windows is nothing like IE on the Mac.

    He was talking about IE on the Mac. Inserting IE Windows into the
    conversation was a complete non-sequitur and added nothing to the
    conversation.

    As it stands, IE Windows is more than 70 percent of the browser market,
    which you'd know if you knew how to do a fucking Google search.

    So stop typing, because every time you do, you make a bigger ass of
    yourself.

    Jesus fucking christ, read for content, eh?

    Vingo Optomalicious, Oct 27, 2004