Internet Speed has to increase with a factor of 1000 the next fitheen years ! ;)

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Skybuck Flying, Nov 20, 2007.

  1. Hello,

    To satisfy my Piracy Addication of Computer Games the internet speed to my
    house has to increase with a factor of 1000 the next fitheen years :)

    Fitheen years ago in 1992 I used to play ms-dos games these were usually a
    few megabytes.

    Now 15 years later those same games are a few gigabytes a factor of 1000
    bigger !

    If this trend continues then I and the rest of the world will need an
    internet connection to the house of at least a factor of 1000 faster than
    todays internet.

    Today I have:

    500 KByte/Sec down.
    100 KByte/Sec Up.

    In fitheen years time this will need to be:
    500 MByte/Sec Down.
    100 MByte/Sec Up.

    A breath taking and shocking speed for todays internet ! ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 20, 2007

  2. Skybuck Flying

    Guest

    On 20-Nov-2007, "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote:

    > In fitheen years time this will need to be:
    > 500 MByte/Sec Down.
    > 100 MByte/Sec Up.

    Should be achievable. Todays backbone speeds
    are 20 or more Gb/sec, and fibre connections should
    be able to deliver 500 Mbyte/Sec to the user.
    Internet delivery of TV is going to need it.

    , Nov 20, 2007

  3. Skybuck Flying

    Guest

    Re: Internet Speed has to increase with a factor of 1000 the nextfitheen years ! ;)

    On Nov 20, 6:03 am, wrote:
    > (...) and fibre connections should
    > be able to deliver 500 Mbyte/Sec to the user.
    > Internet delivery of TV is going to need it.

    Why? Nobody is pushing full HD (1080P) at more than about 40Mb/s (and
    most broadcasts are at half that). Whatever the justification for
    last mile speeds of that magnitude might be, I doubt it will be that
    people need 100 simultaneous 1080P streams.

    , Nov 20, 2007
  4. Skybuck Flying

    tony h Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Nov 20, 6:03 am, wrote:
    >> (...) and fibre connections should
    >> be able to deliver 500 Mbyte/Sec to the user.
    >> Internet delivery of TV is going to need it.

    > Why? Nobody is pushing full HD (1080P) at more than about 40Mb/s (and
    > most broadcasts are at half that). Whatever the justification for
    > last mile speeds of that magnitude might be, I doubt it will be that
    > people need 100 simultaneous 1080P streams.

    your missing OP's point, in order to steal games at a reasonable speed his
    connection must improve at the same rate as developers add data, though dvd
    lasted about 10 years so far, so it's fair to guess that the new technolgies
    like blu ray will last about the same (consumers not too happy at throwing
    kit away too soon), and with the disks having about 5 times the capacity of
    dvd (single layer) the connection would only need to increase by 5x to
    enable skybuck to continue his theft at the same rate.

    tony h, Nov 20, 2007
  5. Skybuck Flying

    Guest

    On 20-Nov-2007, "tony h" <> wrote:

    > > Why? Nobody is pushing full HD (1080P) at more than about 40Mb/s (and
    > > most broadcasts are at half that). Whatever the justification for
    > > last mile speeds of that magnitude might be, I doubt it will be that
    > > people need 100 simultaneous 1080P streams.

    Multi occupancy flat and residential premises, and multi room
    TV, may well need a large number of simultaneous connections
    unless they are all happy watching the same program.

    , Nov 20, 2007
  6. Skybuck Flying

    On Nov 20, 3:46 pm, wrote:
    > On 20-Nov-2007, "tony h" <> wrote:
    >
    > > > Why? Nobody is pushing full HD (1080P) at more than about 40Mb/s (and
    > > > most broadcasts are at half that). Whatever the justification for
    > > > last mile speeds of that magnitude might be, I doubt it will be that
    > > > people need 100 simultaneous 1080P streams.

    > Multi occupancy flat and residential premises, and multi room
    > TV, may well need a large number of simultaneous connections
    > unless they are all happy watching the same program.

    Sure, but that's not what's meant by last mile. In the case of a
    multi-unit building, you either wire each unit separately (common for
    small buildings), or (usually better for large buildings), you run a
    faster connection to a switch in the basement and split out individual
    connections from there. But in either case, you usually don't end up
    sharing a single connection too much more heavily than you would with
    individual residences.

    Now you might in the future, especially if the data rates get as high
    as has be posited, but it makes little sense to serve both an
    individual residence and a 50 unit building off equivalent single 5Gb
    circuits - one will either be significant over served, or the other
    underserved. At least until the point it technology advances to the
    point where there's no practical (aka economic) reason to install a
    circuit slower than 5Gb - although at that point one would expect
    still faster speeds to be common.

    , Nov 20, 2007
  7. Re: Internet Speed has to increase with a factor of 1000 the nextfitheen years ! ;)

    Isn't it fairly obvious which way the technology goes? - What is used
    in data centers today will be in the offices a few years later, and in
    our homes another few years after that.

    Gigabyte Ethernet on copper wire has already well penetrated into
    office use and is arriving now at homes. Optical fibre is being put
    into the ground all over the world. It is approaching the last mile at
    least in metropolitan areas.

    I think you don't need to wait 15 years until your building will be
    connected to the Internet provider with an optical fiber, whereas the
    individual subscribers will tap into that with copper wires, very
    probably carrying the TCP/IP protocol at 1 to 10 Gbps.

    Speed is then only a question of how much bandwith you are willing to
    pay for. The physical capacity of an optical fibre is enormous. Your
    provider will be happy to sell you the bandwith you need.

    Othmar Wigger, Nov 23, 2007
  8. Skybuck Flying

    Chris S. Guest

    My current FiOS Speeds:
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 15509 kbps (1938.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1880 kbps (235 KB/sec transfer rate)

    Chris

    Chris S., Nov 23, 2007
  9. Skybuck Flying

    Jethro Guest

    Chris S. wrote:
    > My current FiOS Speeds:
    > Last Result:
    > Download Speed: 15509 kbps (1938.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    > Upload Speed: 1880 kbps (235 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >
    > Chris

    <snip>

    And yet with all this awesome speed the ISP's keep throttling BitTorrent
    traffic and put restrictions on how much you can download.
    Sure you can download fast.. it just means you will reach your cap in
    less time.

    --
    Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Jethro
    Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com

    Jethro, Nov 23, 2007
  10. Skybuck Flying

    tony h Guest

    "Jethro" <> wrote in message
    > Chris S. wrote:
    >> My current FiOS Speeds:
    >> Last Result:
    >> Download Speed: 15509 kbps (1938.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >> Upload Speed: 1880 kbps (235 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    > And yet with all this awesome speed the ISP's keep throttling BitTorrent
    > traffic and put restrictions on how much you can download.
    > Sure you can download fast.. it just means you will reach your cap in less
    > time.

    maybe time to change to a decent ISP then?

    tony h, Nov 23, 2007
  11. Skybuck Flying

    John Adams Guest

    wrote:

    > Internet delivery of TV is going to need it.

    One of the people who helped invent the internet (ArpNet) says the
    current infrastructure of the internet is not good enough for such
    things as TV over the internet. And my ISP won't even allow me to
    download that much data per month anyway. Hell, sometimes I get pauses
    just playing shitty low res videos at youtube etc. so how do they figure
    the internet is good enough for streaming TV? They should put down the
    crack pipes and get back to reality.

    John Adams, Nov 25, 2007
  12. Skybuck Flying

    John Adams Guest

    tony h wrote:

    > maybe time to change to a decent ISP then?

    Pretty much all high speed ISP's have a cap. And how do propose we
    switch ISP's when our only choices are ADSL or cable? Each area has a
    choice of one or the other and not a multitude to choose from. Where I
    live ADSL cap is 30gb per month and cable is 80gb per month. All you
    people who think the internet is good enough for streaming TV and HD
    movies are out of touch with reality. Build a newer and better internet
    and then I might take you seriously. Until then you are a bunch of
    jokers living a pipe dream.

    John Adams, Nov 25, 2007
  13. Skybuck Flying

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'John Adams' wrote:
    | Pretty much all high speed ISP's have a cap. And how do propose we
    | switch ISP's when our only choices are ADSL or cable? Each area has a
    | choice of one or the other and not a multitude to choose from. Where I
    | live ADSL cap is 30gb per month and cable is 80gb per month. All you
    | people who think the internet is good enough for streaming TV and HD
    | movies are out of touch with reality. Build a newer and better internet
    | and then I might take you seriously. Until then you are a bunch of
    | jokers living a pipe dream.
    _____

    Perhaps you confuse a Usenet download cap before throttling with a total
    bandwidth delivery?

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Nov 25, 2007
  14. Re: Internet Speed has to increase with a factor of 1000 the nextfitheen years ! ;)

    In article <Ldd2j.76558$>,
    John Adams <> wrote:
    >tony h wrote:
    >
    >> maybe time to change to a decent ISP then?

    >Pretty much all high speed ISP's have a cap. And how do propose we
    >switch ISP's when our only choices are ADSL or cable? Each area has a
    >choice of one or the other and not a multitude to choose from. Where I
    >live ADSL cap is 30gb per month and cable is 80gb per month. All you
    >people who think the internet is good enough for streaming TV and HD
    >movies are out of touch with reality. Build a newer and better internet
    >and then I might take you seriously. Until then you are a bunch of
    >jokers living a pipe dream.

    You are probably talking about the "high speed ISP's" in your region, but
    overhere, very few to none have a hard cap on the amount of data you're
    allowed to download.

    So, if you have one in your neighbourhoud who doesn't have a cap, vote
    with your wallet and move over to them. If there's one with a higher cap,
    do the same. Perhaps they will see the light.

    Regards,

    Patrick.

    Patrick Vervoorn, Nov 25, 2007
  15. Skybuck Flying

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Patrick Vervoorn' wrote:
    | You are probably talking about the "high speed ISP's" in your region, but
    | overhere, very few to none have a hard cap on the amount of data you're
    | allowed to download.
    |
    | So, if you have one in your neighbourhoud who doesn't have a cap, vote
    | with your wallet and move over to them. If there's one with a higher cap,
    | do the same. Perhaps they will see the light.
    _____

    The so-called cap must not be common 'over here' either. It certainly does
    not exist for any large ISPs. Not to mention that several Internet
    businesses deliver for-pay movies via the Internet.

    Phil Weldon

    "Patrick Vervoorn" <> wrote in
    message news:a427$47498dc9$82a1d3bf$...

    Phil Weldon, Nov 25, 2007
  16. Skybuck Flying

    Jim Beard Guest

    John Adams wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Internet delivery of TV is going to need it.
    >>

    > One of the people who helped invent the internet (ArpNet) says the
    > current infrastructure of the internet is not good enough for such
    > things as TV over the internet. And my ISP won't even allow me to
    > download that much data per month anyway. Hell, sometimes I get pauses
    > just playing shitty low res videos at youtube etc. so how do they figure
    > the internet is good enough for streaming TV? They should put down the
    > crack pipes and get back to reality.

    "Current structure" is not good enough to do it right, but AT&T is
    offering tv over the internet in some areas, ADSL-style I think. The
    selection of channels is limited (30 or 40 I think rather than 150
    or 200) and I do not know if they offer HD tv, but investment cost
    and cost to the user are much lower that the fiber alternative
    and it is doable now. Being done now.

    Fiber will provide the bandwidth. It will require investment to
    install it, and the associated equipment to send and control the
    traffic. The money will be available (bread and circus has been
    a requisite since Roman times, and fiber offers a huge circus),
    but there is some hazard regarding how much to spend when for
    what. Those that botch the decisions may go bankrupt; those that
    get them right get to play another round in the game. Put your money
    on the table and spin the wheel...

    Verizon is offering tv, internet, and VoIP for roughly $100 a
    month. With an average capital investment maybe around $2,000 per
    customer to support that (general guesstimate, based on what I have
    read in the newspapers), it is financially doable though the
    payback will not go into the black for a few years.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

    Jim Beard, Nov 26, 2007
  17. Skybuck Flying

    Jethro Guest

    tony h wrote:
    > "Jethro" <> wrote in message
    >> Chris S. wrote:
    >>> My current FiOS Speeds:
    >>> Last Result:
    >>> Download Speed: 15509 kbps (1938.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >>> Upload Speed: 1880 kbps (235 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >>>
    >>> Chris
    >>>

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> And yet with all this awesome speed the ISP's keep throttling BitTorrent
    >> traffic and put restrictions on how much you can download.
    >> Sure you can download fast.. it just means you will reach your cap in less
    >> time.

    > maybe time to change to a decent ISP then?

    Haha.. unfortunately I only have 1 choice. Fixed wireless. Well actually
    there are now 2 wireless providers but the other is worse than mine.
    Here in the backass of nowhere, choice is not an option. No cable, no DSL.
    I am not specifically mentioning my provider as they don't throttle
    anything... but I only have 1Mbps and 10Gb per month allowed so I'm only
    "throttled" by how much I can download.

    Jethro, Nov 26, 2007
  18. Skybuck Flying

    John Adams Guest

    Phil Weldon wrote:

    > Perhaps you confuse a Usenet download cap before throttling with a total
    > bandwidth delivery?

    No, the caps I listed are for total bandwidth. Oh, and here's an article
    that backs up what I say.

    http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/11/19/internetcapacity/index.php

    John Adams, Nov 26, 2007
  19. Skybuck Flying

    John Adams Guest

    Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

    > You are probably talking about the "high speed ISP's" in your region, but
    > overhere, very few to none have a hard cap on the amount of data you're
    > allowed to download.
    >
    > So, if you have one in your neighbourhoud who doesn't have a cap, vote
    > with your wallet and move over to them. If there's one with a higher cap,
    > do the same. Perhaps they will see the light.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Patrick.

    I already have the one with the higher cap and there is only one other
    to choose from. You sure you don't have a cap? It's not something they
    like to advertise but will soon let you know if you go over it. In one
    town where I lived there was only one choice for high speed internet and
    their cap was a lousy 10GB down and 3GB up.

    John Adams, Nov 26, 2007
  20. Skybuck Flying

    John Adams Guest

    Phil Weldon wrote:

    > The so-called cap must not be common 'over here' either. It certainly does
    > not exist for any large ISPs. Not to mention that several Internet
    > businesses deliver for-pay movies via the Internet.

    Where is over here exactly? I see you post via Supernews so I expect you
    are either in the US or Canada but maybe not.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_cap

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Shaping

    Companies With Products Employing Traffic Shaping

    * Cisco Systems
    * Cogeco Cable
    * Crescendo Networks
    * F5 Networks
    * Juniper Networks
    * LogiSense Corporation
    * MailChannels
    * Nortel Networks
    * Procera Networks
    * Packeteer
    * Radware
    * Riverbed Technology
    * Sandvine Incorporated
    * Tellabs
    * TurnTide, now part of Symantec

    [edit] Major Internet Service Providers Using Traffic Shaping

    * Cable & Wireless Panama
    * Rogers Cable
    * Bell Sympatico
    * Clearwire