    Any ideas?

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-Interrupt-Mode-APIC-PIC-ftopict57825.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291787

    forumposter32, Jun 22, 2005

  2. forumposter32 schrieb:

    > I just built a system with an Asus A7V600-X motherboard (VIA chipset).
    > Now, I need to know whether I should set the interrupt mode to APIC
    > or PIC.
    > I intend to run Win98SE for a short while, then WinXP Pro until I get
    > another HD then I will dual boot with Win98SE and WinXP Pro.
    > Any ideas?

    Since Win98SE cannot use APIC mode for compatibility reasons (DOS!),
    you'll have to stay with PIC mode.

    Stephan
    --
    Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
    PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

    Stephan Grossklass, Jun 22, 2005

  3. forumposter32

    stevem Guest

    "forumposter32" <> wrote in message
    >I just built a system with an Asus A7V600-X motherboard (VIA chipset).
    > Now, I need to know whether I should set the interrupt mode to APIC
    > or PIC.
    > I intend to run Win98SE for a short while, then WinXP Pro until I get
    > another HD then I will dual boot with Win98SE and WinXP Pro.
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > --
    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-Interrupt-Mode-APIC-PIC-ftopict57825.html
    > http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291787

    No doubt someone will come in with a detailed explanation, but in brief, use
    APIC; you will get 24 IRQ lines instead of the basic 16. Other differences,
    of course, but in simple terms, the technology is newer, so if your board
    supports it, use it.

    Steve.

    stevem, Jun 22, 2005