invalid NVRAM header on an UltraSparc

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by doofus, Dec 27, 2009.

  1. doofus

    doofus Guest

    Today I put OpenBSD 4.6 onto a consoleless Ultra 60 (2 x 450MHz), and
    noticed a worrying error in the installer boot messages:

    "isp0: invalid NVRAM header"

    Can anyone tell me what this actually means and/or if it's fixable?

    I think the isp device is the SunSwift combined ethernet/scsi PCI card
    I have in the machine. It also carries an Expert 3D card and a no-name
    USB 2 card.

    I have the latest 3.31 openboot firmware on there, set to defaults,
    and all three SCA disks (two inside, one in a Unipack on the primary
    SCSI bus - not the SunSwift) are identical 300GB Seagates.

    A quick search turns up plenty of similar reports, but no one seems to
    know what to do about it.

    Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

    (I guess c.s.s.h should be the first place to ask, but it it seems to
    be dying before our eyes...)

    doofus, Dec 27, 2009

  2. On Dec 27, 8:45 pm, doofus <> wrote:
    > Today I put OpenBSD 4.6 onto a consoleless Ultra 60 (2 x 450MHz), and
    > noticed a worrying error in the installer boot messages:
    >
    >   "isp0: invalid NVRAM header"
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what this actually means and/or if it's fixable?
    >
    > I think the isp device is the SunSwift combined ethernet/scsi PCI card
    > I have in the machine. It also carries an Expert 3D card and a no-name
    > USB 2 card.
    >
    > I have the latest 3.31 openboot firmware on there, set to defaults,
    > and all three SCA disks (two inside, one in a Unipack on the primary
    > SCSI bus - not the SunSwift) are identical 300GB Seagates.
    >
    > A quick search turns up plenty of similar reports, but no one seems to
    > know what to do about it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
    >
    > (I guess c.s.s.h should be the first place to ask, but it it seems to
    > be dying before our eyes...)

    What might be a plausable explanation is the battery is dying. I know
    on older SPARC the error message is different.

    There is about a 20% chance I have an NVRAM chip from a Ultra 60
    spare. I scrapped an Ultra 60 after it got hit by lightnight, but
    think I took the NVRAM out, as I had some software tied to that
    hostid. If you want to try another NVRAM chip, and are willing to pay
    postage from the UK, you can have it for nothing IF I can find it. And
    its a big IF I'm afraid to say.

    Dave

    Dr. David Kirkby, Dec 27, 2009

  3. On Dec 27, 11:12 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby" <>
    wrote:
    > On Dec 27, 8:45 pm, doofus <> wrote:
    >

    > > Today I put OpenBSD 4.6 onto a consoleless Ultra 60 (2 x 450MHz), and
    > > noticed a worrying error in the installer boot messages:

    > >   "isp0: invalid NVRAM header"

    > > Can anyone tell me what this actually means and/or if it's fixable?

    > > I think the isp device is the SunSwift combined ethernet/scsi PCI card
    > > I have in the machine. It also carries an Expert 3D card and a no-name
    > > USB 2 card.

    > > I have the latest 3.31 openboot firmware on there, set to defaults,
    > > and all three SCA disks (two inside, one in a Unipack on the primary
    > > SCSI bus - not the SunSwift) are identical 300GB Seagates.

    > > A quick search turns up plenty of similar reports, but no one seems to
    > > know what to do about it.

    > > Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

    > > (I guess c.s.s.h should be the first place to ask, but it it seems to
    > > be dying before our eyes...)

    > What might be a plausable explanation is the battery is dying. I know
    > on older SPARC the error message is different.
    >
    > There is about a 20% chance I have an NVRAM chip from a Ultra 60
    > spare. I scrapped an Ultra 60 after it got hit by lightnight, but

    lightening I mean!

    The Ethernet port got destroyed, but I believe I may have taken the
    NVRAM chip from it. What I can't recall is if I put it back, or not
    before scraping the machine. I might have put it back, then decided
    later to scrap it. I have another Ultra 60, but I'm not going to ruin
    that.

    If you think it might be one of the cards, the obvious thing is to
    remove them first.

    Dr. David Kirkby, Dec 27, 2009
  4. doofus

    Steve Firth Guest

    Dr. David Kirkby <> wrote:

    > > There is about a 20% chance I have an NVRAM chip from a Ultra 60
    > > spare. I scrapped an Ultra 60 after it got hit by lightnight, but

    > lightening I mean!

    Where did the doctorate come from? Was it Hamburger University?

    I suspect that you mean "lightning".

    Steve Firth, Dec 28, 2009
  5. doofus

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2009-12-27, doofus <> wrote:

    > Today I put OpenBSD 4.6 onto a consoleless Ultra 60 (2 x 450MHz), and
    > noticed a worrying error in the installer boot messages:
    >
    > "isp0: invalid NVRAM header"
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what this actually means and/or if it's fixable?

    This probably means that the cell in the NVRAM package is dying.
    The NVRAM package contains what it set by the eeprom command from a
    booted Solaris system, or from the "set" command at the OBP level before
    booting. It is a NVRAM and the TOD clock combined in a single package,
    and they typically last about ten years on a system powered up full
    time, or somewhat less on a system which is powered down most of the
    time.

    It is important, because it contains a lot of critical bits of
    information, including the hostid (which tells the OS where to look for
    various interfaces) and the ethernet MAC address.

    Sun will sell you a fresh one -- with the right hostid and MAC
    address if you give them the barcode number from the old package. If
    you don't have any licensed software on the
    system (especially if you don't have Solaris on there) it would not make
    any difference if you swapped in one from another system.

    When you power up -- what is shown as the HOSTID on the screen,
    and what is shown as the MAC address? If these are unreasonable for the
    computer, then the dead/dying battery is likely.

    On the Ultra-60, the chip is U2706, socketed under the power
    supply near the last DIMMs (most distant from the CPU modules).

    The first two digits of the HOSTID for the Ultra-60 should be
    "80".

    The chip is a 48T59 NVRAM (with clock chip, battery and crystal
    included). Sun's part number for it is 525-1430. It is possible to
    carefully dig into the chip and cut loose the leads going to the cell to
    connect them to an external cell. Search on "IDPROM" for the web sites
    which explain how to do it. But if you have to repair the chip, you
    will need to recreate HOSTID and MAC address. It is good practice, if
    you can't find the original MAC address to instead get one from an
    ancient ethernet card for an old PC, and destroy the ROM which sets the
    MAC address in that card so you will never have another system using the
    same MAC address. It is certainly bad news on a local net to have two
    duplicates, and I don't know what would happen over the internet if two
    systems with the same MAC address happened to connect to each other.

    > I think the isp device is the SunSwift combined ethernet/scsi PCI card
    > I have in the machine. It also carries an Expert 3D card and a no-name
    > USB 2 card.

    The driver for "isp" probably handles a lot of things on the
    system board, so it could be almost anything -- but the NVRAM bit is
    pretty clear.

    > I have the latest 3.31 openboot firmware on there, set to defaults,
    > and all three SCA disks (two inside, one in a Unipack on the primary
    > SCSI bus - not the SunSwift) are identical 300GB Seagates.
    >
    > A quick search turns up plenty of similar reports, but no one seems to
    > know what to do about it.

    Get a replacement chip from Sun -- or perform surgery on the
    chip to extend its life.

    > Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
    >

    > (I guess c.s.s.h should be the first place to ask, but it it seems to
    > be dying before our eyes...)

    Well ... it is where *I* saw this, and answered it. And it is
    where several other replies are (which I have not yet read). It may be
    that your news server has dropped it, if you see this only in the other
    newsgroup. (I've left the cross-posting intact, in case that is what is
    happening to you.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

    DoN. Nichols, Dec 28, 2009
  6. On Dec 28, 12:15 am, % (Steve Firth) wrote:
    > Dr. David Kirkby <> wrote:
    >
    > > > There is about a 20% chance I have an NVRAM chip from a Ultra 60
    > > > spare. I scrapped an Ultra 60 after it got hit by lightnight, but

    > > lightening I mean!

    > Where did the doctorate come from? Was it Hamburger University?

    Department of Medical Physics, University College London.

    http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/research/borl/homepages/davek/phd/phd.html

    > I suspect that you mean "lightning".

    You suspect correctly.

    Dave

    Dr. David Kirkby, Dec 28, 2009
  7. doofus

    Steve Firth Guest

    Dr. David Kirkby <> wrote:

    > > Where did the doctorate come from? Was it Hamburger University?

    > Department of Medical Physics, University College London.

    In that case, Tsk.

    Steve Firth, Dec 28, 2009
  8. On Dec 27, 11:12 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby" <>
    wrote:
    > On Dec 27, 8:45 pm, doofus <> wrote:
    >

    > > Today I put OpenBSD 4.6 onto a consoleless Ultra 60 (2 x 450MHz), and
    > > noticed a worrying error in the installer boot messages:

    > >   "isp0: invalid NVRAM header"

    > > Can anyone tell me what this actually means and/or if it's fixable?

    > > I think the isp device is the SunSwift combined ethernet/scsi PCI card
    > > I have in the machine. It also carries an Expert 3D card and a no-name
    > > USB 2 card.

    > > I have the latest 3.31 openboot firmware on there, set to defaults,
    > > and all three SCA disks (two inside, one in a Unipack on the primary
    > > SCSI bus - not the SunSwift) are identical 300GB Seagates.

    > > A quick search turns up plenty of similar reports, but no one seems to
    > > know what to do about it.

    > > Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

    > > (I guess c.s.s.h should be the first place to ask, but it it seems to
    > > be dying before our eyes...)

    > What might be a plausable explanation is the battery is dying. I know
    > on older SPARC the error message is different.
    >
    > There is about a 20% chance I have an NVRAM chip from a Ultra 60
    > spare. I scrapped an Ultra 60

    I can not find the chip. It is quite possible I simply swapped them
    over from one machine to the other, then later decided to scrap the
    machine due to the lightning damage.

    I doubt Sun would sell you an NVRAM chip, but even if they would, it
    is not likely to be economically viable, due to the machines age. Look
    on eBay and you might find a motherboard.

    The other option might be to buy an NVRAM chip from a professional
    electronics dealer (RS and Farnell in the UK would be places I'd
    look). It may then be possible to program the chip.

    http://www.squirrel.com/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

    is a semi-useful link, but it is very outdated and does not cover any
    machine as new as the Ultra 60.

    Dave

    Dr. David Kirkby, Dec 28, 2009
  9. doofus

    HankVC Guest

    In article <>,
    doofus <> wrote:

    >Today I put OpenBSD 4.6 onto a consoleless Ultra 60 (2 x 450MHz), and
    >noticed a worrying error in the installer boot messages:
    >
    > "isp0: invalid NVRAM header"
    >
    >Can anyone tell me what this actually means and/or if it's fixable?

    You may have an NVRAM battery going dead. If the clock won't hold
    time and/or the MAC address and hostid are all zeros, that's
    definitely your problem.

    The 48T59 NVRAM IC is available from Mouser. You'll need to program
    it. Instructions for doing that are in the NVRAM archive at
    www.squirrel.com. Program it as you would for an Ultra 1.
    real-machine-type is 80 (the first two digits in the MAC adress).
    The MAC address is on a label on the NVRAM, so you can restore the
    machine to its original identity.

    Make sure you install the thing oriented properly---there is a notch
    at one end. Check the orientation of the NVRAM currently in the
    machine and in the plastic carrier. Be careful plugging the new one
    into the socket. The plastic carrier makes life a lot easier, but you
    need to feel all the pins engage in the socket.

    I have a sleeve of 48T59's and have replaced several over the years.
    Not a difficult job, and the programming takes maybe all of five
    minutes. When you finish, lift the label with the MAC address off the
    old NVRAM and stick it on the new one with Pliobond.

    Hank.

    HankVC, Dec 29, 2009
  10. doofus

    Bill Green Guest

    On 2009-12-29, HankVC <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > doofus <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Today I put OpenBSD 4.6 onto a consoleless Ultra 60 (2 x 450MHz), and
    >>noticed a worrying error in the installer boot messages:
    >>
    >> "isp0: invalid NVRAM header"
    >>
    >>Can anyone tell me what this actually means and/or if it's fixable?
    >>

    > You may have an NVRAM battery going dead. If the clock won't hold
    > time and/or the MAC address and hostid are all zeros, that's
    > definitely your problem.
    >
    > The 48T59 NVRAM IC is available from Mouser.

    According to Mouser, the part is obsolete (you have to request a quote).
    Is your experience that they're available from Mouser recent? Or do you
    know an alternative supplier? I've got an Ultra 60 that needs a new NVRAM
    chip.

    Thanks.

    Bill Green, Dec 29, 2009
  11. doofus

    Paul Gress Guest

    On 12/29/09 01:14 PM, Bill Green wrote:
    > On 2009-12-29, HankVC<> wrote:
    >> In article<>,
    >> doofus<> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Today I put OpenBSD 4.6 onto a consoleless Ultra 60 (2 x 450MHz), and
    >>> noticed a worrying error in the installer boot messages:
    >>>
    >>> "isp0: invalid NVRAM header"
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone tell me what this actually means and/or if it's fixable?
    >>>

    >> You may have an NVRAM battery going dead. If the clock won't hold
    >> time and/or the MAC address and hostid are all zeros, that's
    >> definitely your problem.
    >>
    >> The 48T59 NVRAM IC is available from Mouser.

    > According to Mouser, the part is obsolete (you have to request a quote).
    > Is your experience that they're available from Mouser recent? Or do you
    > know an alternative supplier? I've got an Ultra 60 that needs a new NVRAM
    > chip.
    >
    > Thanks.

    There's some on ebay at $14.38 brand new, the only catch is they're from
    Hong Kong, but they are STMicroelectronics.

    http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260273418817

    Paul

    Paul Gress, Dec 30, 2009
  12. doofus

    Paul Gress Guest

    On 12/29/09 08:19 PM, Paul Gress wrote:

    >>> The 48T59 NVRAM IC is available from Mouser.

    >> According to Mouser, the part is obsolete (you have to request a quote).
    >> Is your experience that they're available from Mouser recent? Or do you
    >> know an alternative supplier? I've got an Ultra 60 that needs a new NVRAM
    >> chip.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > There's some on ebay at $14.38 brand new, the only catch is they're from
    > Hong Kong, but they are STMicroelectronics.
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260273418817

    Sorry about the previous link to ebay, I would be careful about the
    package type, as I have no idea what the "MOD" package is. If your
    interested, ask the seller.

    Paul

    Paul Gress, Dec 30, 2009
  13. doofus

    HankVC Guest

    In article <>,
    Bill Green <> wrote:
    >On 2009-12-29, HankVC <> wrote:
    >> In article

    ><>,
    >> doofus <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Today I put OpenBSD 4.6 onto a consoleless Ultra 60 (2 x 450MHz), and
    >>>noticed a worrying error in the installer boot messages:
    >>>
    >>> "isp0: invalid NVRAM header"
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone tell me what this actually means and/or if it's fixable?
    >>>

    >> You may have an NVRAM battery going dead. If the clock won't hold
    >> time and/or the MAC address and hostid are all zeros, that's
    >> definitely your problem.
    >>
    >> The 48T59 NVRAM IC is available from Mouser.

    >According to Mouser, the part is obsolete (you have to request a quote).
    >Is your experience that they're available from Mouser recent? Or do you
    >know an alternative supplier? I've got an Ultra 60 that needs a new NVRAM
    >chip.

    I checked Mouser yesterday and, yes, I see that they are listed as
    obsolete now.

    I bought a sleeve of the things a while back---thinking it was a year
    ago, but could be more like two.

    Hank

    HankVC, Jan 2, 2010
  14. Hi,

    HankVC wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Bill Green <> wrote:
    >> On 2009-12-29, HankVC <> wrote:
    >>> In article

    >> <>,

    >>> You may have an NVRAM battery going dead. If the clock won't hold
    >>> time and/or the MAC address and hostid are all zeros, that's
    >>> definitely your problem.
    >>>
    >>> The 48T59 NVRAM IC is available from Mouser.

    >> According to Mouser, the part is obsolete (you have to request a quote).
    >> Is your experience that they're available from Mouser recent? Or do you
    >> know an alternative supplier? I've got an Ultra 60 that needs a new NVRAM
    >> chip.
    >>

    > I checked Mouser yesterday and, yes, I see that they are listed as
    > obsolete now.
    >
    > I bought a sleeve of the things a while back---thinking it was a year
    > ago, but could be more like two.
    >
    > Hank

    These memories is a pain, maybe installing a PROM/FLASH with the needed
    values could work (no clock)!

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Jan 2, 2010