IRQ Conflict with Wireless adapter and 56k modem?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by slim26, Jan 24, 2010.

  1. slim26

    slim26 Guest

    I just got a new Linksys WMP600N wireless adapter for my old ASUS A8V
    motherboard.

    I am having issues trying to boot the computer now with both this
    adapter and my 56k modem (used for caller id software) at the same
    time. When both are plugged in, I can not get any action on my
    monitor or a beep from the computer starting.

    From my research, I'm thinking I have an IRQ conflict. Does this
    sound accurate?

    Any ideas on how I can resolve the conflict and get the computer to
    boot? Is it possible I won't be able to resolve?

    Thanks.

    1. Advertising

  2. daytripper

    daytripper Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:22:38 -0800 (PST), slim26 <>
    wrote:

    >I just got a new Linksys WMP600N wireless adapter for my old ASUS A8V
    >motherboard.
    >
    >I am having issues trying to boot the computer now with both this
    >adapter and my 56k modem (used for caller id software) at the same
    >time. When both are plugged in, I can not get any action on my
    >monitor or a beep from the computer starting.
    >
    >From my research, I'm thinking I have an IRQ conflict. Does this
    >sound accurate?
    >
    >Any ideas on how I can resolve the conflict and get the computer to
    >boot? Is it possible I won't be able to resolve?
    >
    >Thanks.

    I doubt it's an IRQ conflict if it literally won't even show you a POST
    screen.

    What happens if you remove the modem and leave the wireless nic installed?

    Cheers

    1. Advertising

  3. slim26

    slim26 Guest

    On Jan 24, 4:18 pm, daytripper <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:22:38 -0800 (PST), slim26 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I just got a new Linksys WMP600N wireless adapter for my old ASUS A8V
    > >motherboard.

    > >I am having issues trying to boot the computer now with both this
    > >adapter and my 56k modem (used for caller id software) at the same
    > >time.  When both are plugged in, I can not get any action on my
    > >monitor or a beep from the computer starting.

    > >From my research, I'm thinking I have an IRQ conflict.  Does this
    > >sound accurate?

    > >Any ideas on how I can resolve the conflict and get the computer to
    > >boot?  Is it possible I won't be able to resolve?

    > >Thanks.

    > I doubt it's an IRQ conflict if it literally won't even show you a POST
    > screen.
    >
    > What happens if you remove the modem and leave the wireless nic installed?
    >
    > Cheers

    Everything boots fine, Windows starts, wifi card is fully functional.
    I've tried moving the two cards from slot to slot, with all
    combinations. What it comes down to is I can boot fine and use each
    card independently, just can't boot or even get video with them both
    plugged in.

    Thanks for the response.

  4. slim26

    slim26 Guest

    On Jan 24, 4:56 pm, "William" <> wrote:
    > "slim26" <> wrote in message

    > > I just got a new Linksys WMP600N wireless adapter for my old ASUS A8V
    > > motherboard.

    > > I am having issues trying to boot the computer now with both this
    > > adapter and my 56k modem (used for caller id software) at the same
    > > time.  When both are plugged in, I can not get any action on my
    > > monitor or a beep from the computer starting.

    > > From my research, I'm thinking I have an IRQ conflict.  Does this
    > > sound accurate?

    > > Any ideas on how I can resolve the conflict and get the computer to
    > > boot?  Is it possible I won't be able to resolve?

    > > Thanks.

    > I had a similar problem with a US Robotics 5610 modem about 3 years ago.
    > Fortunately they had a flash update for the on-board modem system that got
    > rid of the problem.  I would suggest you check the modems manufacturersweb
    > page and see if they have anything to offer you for help.  Their were quite
    > a few changes around 7 to 5 years ago concerning auto selection of IQR on
    > motherboards and older legacy boards do not behave well.
    >
    > When I had my old modem in the computer, the tuner card would not work.  I
    > had specifically purchased this modem because it used it's own processor to
    > do the work, a requirement for a SUSI operating system I had set up at the
    > time.  BTY - you can purchase a new 56k modem for less than $10.00 thatuses
    > the mobo's cpu to do the work.  Perhaps not the best, but they do work on
    > newer systems.
    >
    > My previous mobo, a P5W DH Deluxe, had a section on IQR conflict resolution
    > procedures for problems just like this.
    >
    > William

    Thanks William. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any firmware
    updates for my modem. Sucks that it worked fine with my other linksys
    wifi card that I just upgraded. Also can't seem to find anything on
    IRQ resolutions for my mobo. I might end up just giving up on this
    one.

  5. daytripper

    daytripper Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:37:24 -0800 (PST), slim26 <>
    wrote:

    >On Jan 24, 4:18 pm, daytripper <> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:22:38 -0800 (PST), slim26 <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I just got a new Linksys WMP600N wireless adapter for my old ASUS A8V
    >> >motherboard.

    >> >I am having issues trying to boot the computer now with both this
    >> >adapter and my 56k modem (used for caller id software) at the same
    >> >time.  When both are plugged in, I can not get any action on my
    >> >monitor or a beep from the computer starting.

    >> >From my research, I'm thinking I have an IRQ conflict.  Does this
    >> >sound accurate?

    >> >Any ideas on how I can resolve the conflict and get the computer to
    >> >boot?  Is it possible I won't be able to resolve?

    >> >Thanks.

    >> I doubt it's an IRQ conflict if it literally won't even show you a POST
    >> screen.
    >>
    >> What happens if you remove the modem and leave the wireless nic installed?
    >>
    >> Cheers

    >Everything boots fine, Windows starts, wifi card is fully functional.
    >I've tried moving the two cards from slot to slot, with all
    >combinations. What it comes down to is I can boot fine and use each
    >card independently, just can't boot or even get video with them both
    >plugged in.
    >
    >Thanks for the response.

    Ok, that's good. Next question: do you have any other empty slots that will
    accommodate the modem? If you do, try putting one of the cards in that "third"
    slot, and see what happens. While many motherboards are wired such that one
    INT line appears as INTA on two slots, it's highly unlikely that three slots
    share the same INT line, so that would at least take that "cause" off the
    table.

    If you only have the two "free" slots to work with, another possibility worth
    trying is to swap with a different card in another slot.

    Otherwise, is there a possibility that with everything you have plugged in
    that you've maxxed out one of the power supply rails?

    Cheers

  6. slim26

    slim26 Guest

    On Jan 24, 8:51 pm, daytripper <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:37:24 -0800 (PST), slim26 <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >On Jan 24, 4:18 pm, daytripper <> wrote:

    > >> I doubt it's an IRQ conflict if it literally won't even show you a POST
    > >> screen.

    > >> What happens if you remove the modem and leave the wireless nic installed?

    > >> Cheers

    > >Everything boots fine, Windows starts, wifi card is fully functional.
    > >I've tried moving the two cards from slot to slot, with all
    > >combinations.  What it comes down to is I can boot fine and use each
    > >card independently, just can't boot or even get video with them both
    > >plugged in.

    > >Thanks for the response.

    > Ok, that's good. Next question: do you have any other empty slots that will
    > accommodate the modem? If you do, try putting one of the cards in that "third"
    > slot, and see what happens. While many motherboards are wired such that one
    > INT line appears as INTA on two slots, it's highly unlikely that three slots
    > share the same INT line, so that would at least take that "cause" off the
    > table.
    >
    > If you only have the two "free" slots to work with, another possibility worth
    > trying is to swap with a different card in another slot.
    >
    > Otherwise, is there a possibility that with everything you have plugged in
    > that you've maxxed out one of the power supply rails?
    >
    > Cheers

    I have 5 PCI slots and 1 AGP slot. AGP obviously being used for
    video.

    Out of the 5 PCI slots, I only need to use two of them, for the wifi
    card and the modem. It seems that all slots except the bottom one
    seem to be functional with either card. If I plug either card into
    the bottom slot, I get frozen on the windows welcome screen, probably
    due to it sharing it with the video card.

    I've tried every possible combination for the two cards for the 4
    slots that I have to work with. It just won't even get to the bios
    flash screen when I have both cards plugged in. I'm almost at the
    point that I'm ready to spend the 10 -15 bucks on a new stupid modem
    that I only use for caller id and occasional faxs (maybe twice a
    year).

    Thanks again for your help.

    Let me know please if you have any other suggestions of settings that
    can be changed.

    Again, to answer your question, each card with work fine in any of the
    top 4 slots, just not together in any combination.

  7. peter

    peter Guest

    if your running XP the sysinfo tool will show you which IRQ are using what
    hardware
    Its located under accessories/system tools.
    If you leave the wifi attached to PCI#1 and then check which IRQ its using
    you can move the wifi to another PCI slot and check again.
    repeat for all slots......now you have an idea of which PCI slot works on what
    IRQ
    Take note if another piece of Hardware is sharing any of these IRQ...maybe sound
    card.
    2 pieces of hardware usually can share an IRQ but 3 causes problems.
    Now you need to figure out which PCI slots IRQ is actually free to use

    peter

    or disruptive,please ignore it.
    to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :)

    "slim26" <> wrote in message
    > On Jan 24, 4:56 pm, "William" <> wrote:
    >> "slim26" <> wrote in message

    >> > I just got a new Linksys WMP600N wireless adapter for my old ASUS A8V
    >> > motherboard.

    >> > I am having issues trying to boot the computer now with both this
    >> > adapter and my 56k modem (used for caller id software) at the same
    >> > time. When both are plugged in, I can not get any action on my
    >> > monitor or a beep from the computer starting.

    >> > From my research, I'm thinking I have an IRQ conflict. Does this
    >> > sound accurate?

    >> > Any ideas on how I can resolve the conflict and get the computer to
    >> > boot? Is it possible I won't be able to resolve?

    >> > Thanks.

    >> I had a similar problem with a US Robotics 5610 modem about 3 years ago.
    >> Fortunately they had a flash update for the on-board modem system that got
    >> rid of the problem. I would suggest you check the modems manufacturers web
    >> page and see if they have anything to offer you for help. Their were quite
    >> a few changes around 7 to 5 years ago concerning auto selection of IQR on
    >> motherboards and older legacy boards do not behave well.
    >>
    >> When I had my old modem in the computer, the tuner card would not work. I
    >> had specifically purchased this modem because it used it's own processor to
    >> do the work, a requirement for a SUSI operating system I had set up at the
    >> time. BTY - you can purchase a new 56k modem for less than $10.00 that uses
    >> the mobo's cpu to do the work. Perhaps not the best, but they do work on
    >> newer systems.
    >>
    >> My previous mobo, a P5W DH Deluxe, had a section on IQR conflict resolution
    >> procedures for problems just like this.
    >>
    >> William

    > Thanks William. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any firmware
    > updates for my modem. Sucks that it worked fine with my other linksys
    > wifi card that I just upgraded. Also can't seem to find anything on
    > IRQ resolutions for my mobo. I might end up just giving up on this
    > one.

  8. daytripper

    daytripper Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 18:04:52 -0800 (PST), slim26 <>
    wrote:

    >On Jan 24, 8:51 pm, daytripper <> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:37:24 -0800 (PST), slim26 <>
    >> wrote:

    >> >Everything boots fine, Windows starts, wifi card is fully functional.
    >> >I've tried moving the two cards from slot to slot, with all
    >> >combinations.  What it comes down to is I can boot fine and use each
    >> >card independently, just can't boot or even get video with them both
    >> >plugged in.

    >> >Thanks for the response.

    >> Ok, that's good. Next question: do you have any other empty slots that will
    >> accommodate the modem? If you do, try putting one of the cards in that "third"
    >> slot, and see what happens. While many motherboards are wired such that one
    >> INT line appears as INTA on two slots, it's highly unlikely that three slots
    >> share the same INT line, so that would at least take that "cause" off the
    >> table.
    >>
    >> If you only have the two "free" slots to work with, another possibility worth
    >> trying is to swap with a different card in another slot.
    >>
    >> Otherwise, is there a possibility that with everything you have plugged in
    >> that you've maxxed out one of the power supply rails?
    >>
    >> Cheers

    >I have 5 PCI slots and 1 AGP slot. AGP obviously being used for
    >video.
    >
    >Out of the 5 PCI slots, I only need to use two of them, for the wifi
    >card and the modem. It seems that all slots except the bottom one
    >seem to be functional with either card. If I plug either card into
    >the bottom slot, I get frozen on the windows welcome screen, probably
    >due to it sharing it with the video card.
    >
    >I've tried every possible combination for the two cards for the 4
    >slots that I have to work with. It just won't even get to the bios
    >flash screen when I have both cards plugged in. I'm almost at the
    >point that I'm ready to spend the 10 -15 bucks on a new stupid modem
    >that I only use for caller id and occasional faxs (maybe twice a
    >year).
    >
    >Thanks again for your help.
    >
    >Let me know please if you have any other suggestions of settings that
    >can be changed.
    >
    >Again, to answer your question, each card with work fine in any of the
    >top 4 slots, just not together in any combination.

    I'm still reluctant to believe you're fighting interrupt problems - unless
    somehow your system bios has been configured to use a single interrupt for
    *all* of your slots!

    To eliminate *that* horrible, horrible possibility ;-) get into your bios/cmos
    setup, and look for a screen that allows you to manually override the
    automatic interrupt assignment, and check to see if somehow multiple slots are
    trying to use the same interrupt.

    If you find that to be the case, write down the current settings, then change
    at least one of the free PCI slots to use automatic interrupt assignment. Make
    sure you can still boot successfully, then plug the modem card into the slot
    you allowed to use automatic interrupt assignment, and see what happens.

    Otoh, if you find all of the slots are already set to use automatic interrupt
    assignment, we'll have to find some other root cause to your problem. Power
    supply, maybe?

    Cheers

  9. daytripper

    daytripper Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 19:33:48 -0700, "peter" <> wrote:
    [...]2 pieces of hardware usually can share an IRQ but 3 causes problems.

    'Tain't necessarily so.

    fwiw, on my most heavily configured system, I have a SAS host adapter and a
    SCSI host adapter sharing IRQ 9 with the on-board USB hc; and a PCI nic, PCI
    1394 hc and a PCI USB hc sharing IRQ 10.

    So that's two sets of three devices sharing interrupts on the same system. And
    you could only wish you had a system that was as reliable as this one - it
    easily hit "five nines" of availability in 2009 :)

    Cheers

  10. Paul

    Paul Guest

    slim26 wrote:
    > I just got a new Linksys WMP600N wireless adapter for my old ASUS A8V
    > motherboard.
    >
    > I am having issues trying to boot the computer now with both this
    > adapter and my 56k modem (used for caller id software) at the same
    > time. When both are plugged in, I can not get any action on my
    > monitor or a beep from the computer starting.
    >
    > From my research, I'm thinking I have an IRQ conflict. Does this
    > sound accurate?
    >
    > Any ideas on how I can resolve the conflict and get the computer to
    > boot? Is it possible I won't be able to resolve?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Motherboards of that era, have a physical interrupt wiring pattern
    (swizzle pattern), in the user manual. Now, unfortunately, it has
    turned out that this table is not always correct, and some users
    have figured out the table on their own, by observation (i.e. detected
    the errors by watching IRQ number assignment).

    ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/asus/mb/socket939/a8v/e1994_a8v.pdf

    On your board, PCI slot 4 is independent of other wires, so might
    be considered "private". If you have a theory as to which card is
    misbehaving, I'd plug that card into that slot and test.

    If you have some other motherboard from the A8V line, there are
    manuals for those as well.

    Also, in the BIOS history of that board (in the BIOS download section
    of support.asus.com.tw), it says

    [ 0228 ]
    Fix system will hang up during booting when both AGP graphic card
    and Dlink 4-port server card installed.

    So the board does have a history of a problem like that, and so flashing
    a BIOS later than that one may help. Sometimes, when you see a release
    note for a bug fix like that, it is actually a couple of BIOS later
    before it is really fixed.

    The latest BIOS is "0229" from 2007/06/07.

    Take a look through the vip.asus.com forums before flashing. Sometimes,
    if a flash method is known to brick the motherboard, you can learn about
    the issue in advance, by looking through the threads here.

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=A8V&SLanguage=en-us

    For example, this is educational:

    "Asus A8V bios 0229 buggy as hell?"
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100104182708718&board_id=1&model=A8V&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

    So perhaps "0228" would be the best candidate. They mention 0219 as being
    a better one, but then you might not get any benefit for whatever fixes
    might be in 0228. In any case, I see enough issues just reading a few threads
    there, to not expect a lot from that board.

    Paul

  11. slim26

    slim26 Guest

    Thanks to both you .

    I do have the latest 0229 bios on there.. it is the base A8V (yes, a
    pretty old one, but still working great nonetheless).

    My theory for slot 5 not working is because in the book, it says it's
    shared with the video card. My guess is my video card doesn't like to
    share with another device.

    I have a difficult time trying to find out which IRQ is assigned for
    each slot. I think Windows 7 is automatically reassigning it's own
    IRQ upon boot, so I can't see what the bios is trying to give it.
    Windows is giving it an IRQ of 17 (higher then what the bios goes up
    to - 15).

    In my settings, it lists the IRQs that are configurable, but only give
    me two options - PCI or Reserved. They are all set to PCI. Should I
    try to set any to Reserved. I've played around with it some, and
    haven't had much luck with that either.

    Out of the two cards, my suspect card is the modem being it's so old.
    The wifi nic is brand new and probably plays nicely. I've tried
    putting the modem in slot 4, which isn't supposed to be shared, with
    the wifi card in any other slot, no avail.

    I guess the only real thing to do is flip some of these IRQs in the
    bios from PCI to Reserved, although as I mentioned, have not had
    success with that so far.