  1. bornfree

    bornfree Guest

    Is an Asus P5VD2-MX motherboard any good for overclocking?
    bornfree, Nov 21, 2007

  2. bornfree

    bornfree Guest

    On 21 Nov, 21:25, bornfree <> wrote:
    > Is an Asus P5VD2-MX motherboard any good for overclocking?

    Well at any rate it is a very cheap motherboard (min price $50, £35
    inc vat in the UK).
    So I am not sure if that makes it worse for over clocking or not? :)
    bornfree, Nov 24, 2007

  3. bornfree

    Paul Guest

    bornfree wrote:
    > On 21 Nov, 21:25, bornfree <> wrote:
    >> Is an Asus P5VD2-MX motherboard any good for overclocking?

    > Well at any rate it is a very cheap motherboard (min price $50, £35
    > inc vat in the UK).
    > So I am not sure if that makes it worse for over clocking or not? :)

    Low priced motherboards can lack some of the desirable features
    needed for overclocking. Adjustable CPU input clock, Vcore, Vdimm,
    adjustable memory timings and so on.

    General rules of thumb (always exceptions of course):

    1) Things with -VM, -MX in the name, are intended for business
    applications.

    2) MicroATX form factor does not tend to be overclocker friendly.
    Only occasionally do they slip up, and let you have fun by
    accident.

    3) Price - $35 to $50, don't expect a miracle. Some cheap boards
    (not the Asus ones) can have really wretched BIOS.

    4) If you go to the $100-$150 level, you can find everything you
    need to get the job done. While a full sized motherboard is not
    needed to support the features needed for overclocking, the
    marketing department has decided, that if you're an overclocker,
    you're going to have a full sized board.

    5) Stuff over that price, up to the $300, adds a lot of fluff.
    For example, a remote control (without Media Center support),
    for most people adds the ability to turn the computer on and
    off from a distance. Big deal...

    Asrock boards can be cheaper, and still offer some overclocking
    features. What you have to watch with them, is non-standard applications
    of chipsets and slots. For example, AGP slots that aren't really
    AGP (more like PCI protocol). Or PCI Express x16 slots, with only
    x4 lane wiring. Or FSB800 chipsets running at FSB1066. Or what looks
    like a dual channel memory design, that is in fact single channel
    (won't go dual).

    So, spend a bit more, look for a full-sized ATX, check the downloadable
    manual, and you're more likely to get something that overclocks.

    Looking through the Newegg list, I'd probably look at a Gigabyte board.
    Like Asus, as long as it's had the benefit of at least five BIOS releases,
    it should be a solid performer.

    GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $130
    Ultra Durable 2
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050
    http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-128-050-04.jpg

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 24, 2007
  4. bornfree

    bornfree Guest

    On 24 Nov, 04:04, Paul <> wrote:
    > bornfree wrote:
    > > On 21 Nov, 21:25, bornfree <> wrote:
    > >> Is an Asus P5VD2-MX motherboard any good for overclocking?

    > > Well at any rate it is a very cheap motherboard (min price $50, £35
    > > inc vat in the UK).
    > > So I am not sure if that makes it worse for over clocking or not? :)

    > Low priced motherboards can lack some of the desirable features
    > needed for overclocking. Adjustable CPU input clock, Vcore, Vdimm,
    > adjustable memory timings and so on.
    >
    > General rules of thumb (always exceptions of course):
    >
    > 1) Things with -VM, -MX in the name, are intended for business
    > applications.
    >
    > 2) MicroATX form factor does not tend to be overclocker friendly.
    > Only occasionally do they slip up, and let you have fun by
    > accident.
    >
    > 3) Price - $35 to $50, don't expect a miracle. Some cheap boards
    > (not the Asus ones) can have really wretched BIOS.
    >
    > 4) If you go to the $100-$150 level, you can find everything you
    > need to get the job done. While a full sized motherboard is not
    > needed to support the features needed for overclocking, the
    > marketing department has decided, that if you're an overclocker,
    > you're going to have a full sized board.
    >
    > 5) Stuff over that price, up to the $300, adds a lot of fluff.
    > For example, a remote control (without Media Center support),
    > for most people adds the ability to turn the computer on and
    > off from a distance. Big deal...
    >
    > Asrock boards can be cheaper, and still offer some overclocking
    > features. What you have to watch with them, is non-standard applications
    > of chipsets and slots. For example, AGP slots that aren't really
    > AGP (more like PCI protocol). Or PCI Express x16 slots, with only
    > x4 lane wiring. Or FSB800 chipsets running at FSB1066. Or what looks
    > like a dual channel memory design, that is in fact single channel
    > (won't go dual).
    >
    > So, spend a bit more, look for a full-sized ATX, check the downloadable
    > manual, and you're more likely to get something that overclocks.
    >
    > Looking through the Newegg list, I'd probably look at a Gigabyte board.
    > Like Asus, as long as it's had the benefit of at least five BIOS releases,
    > it should be a solid performer.
    >
    > GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $130
    > Ultra Durable 2http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-128-050-04.jpg
    >
    > Paul

    Gorgeous advice as always from Paul.

    Any thoughts as to if that board will fit a Scythe Ninja?

    Profile shot below

    http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-128-050-02.jpg
    bornfree, Nov 24, 2007
  5. bornfree

    Paul Guest

    bornfree wrote:
    > On 24 Nov, 04:04, Paul <> wrote:
    >> bornfree wrote:
    >>> Well at any rate it is a very cheap motherboard (min price $50, £35
    >>> inc vat in the UK).
    >>> So I am not sure if that makes it worse for over clocking or not? :)

    >> Low priced motherboards can lack some of the desirable features
    >> needed for overclocking. Adjustable CPU input clock, Vcore, Vdimm,
    >> adjustable memory timings and so on.
    >>
    >> General rules of thumb (always exceptions of course):
    >>
    >> 1) Things with -VM, -MX in the name, are intended for business
    >> applications.
    >>
    >> 2) MicroATX form factor does not tend to be overclocker friendly.
    >> Only occasionally do they slip up, and let you have fun by
    >> accident.
    >>
    >> 3) Price - $35 to $50, don't expect a miracle. Some cheap boards
    >> (not the Asus ones) can have really wretched BIOS.
    >>
    >> 4) If you go to the $100-$150 level, you can find everything you
    >> need to get the job done. While a full sized motherboard is not
    >> needed to support the features needed for overclocking, the
    >> marketing department has decided, that if you're an overclocker,
    >> you're going to have a full sized board.
    >>
    >> 5) Stuff over that price, up to the $300, adds a lot of fluff.
    >> For example, a remote control (without Media Center support),
    >> for most people adds the ability to turn the computer on and
    >> off from a distance. Big deal...
    >>
    >> Asrock boards can be cheaper, and still offer some overclocking
    >> features. What you have to watch with them, is non-standard applications
    >> of chipsets and slots. For example, AGP slots that aren't really
    >> AGP (more like PCI protocol). Or PCI Express x16 slots, with only
    >> x4 lane wiring. Or FSB800 chipsets running at FSB1066. Or what looks
    >> like a dual channel memory design, that is in fact single channel
    >> (won't go dual).
    >>
    >> So, spend a bit more, look for a full-sized ATX, check the downloadable
    >> manual, and you're more likely to get something that overclocks.
    >>
    >> Looking through the Newegg list, I'd probably look at a Gigabyte board.
    >> Like Asus, as long as it's had the benefit of at least five BIOS releases,
    >> it should be a solid performer.
    >>
    >> GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $130
    >> Ultra Durable 2http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-128-050-04.jpg
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Gorgeous advice as always from Paul.
    >
    > Any thoughts as to if that board will fit a Scythe Ninja?
    >
    > Profile shot below
    >
    > http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-128-050-02.jpg

    My *guess* is: Yes.

    Starting with the motherboard, the DIMMs are 133.35mm (5.25") wide. I
    use that for establishing scale in the picture.

    http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-128-050-04.jpg

    Now, there are a number of different Scythe heatsink models, and
    a couple with Ninja in the name. I see dimensions of 110mm square
    for one of them, and 104mmx109mm for another. If you use the DIMM
    slots in the picture for scale, a 110mm heatsink will be over top
    of the Gigabyte Northbridge cooler by a little bit.

    What I cannot find, is a clearance dimension, for where the fin stack
    starts. One of their other products does have a dimension, of about
    48mm, or just shy of 2". As an example, you can see a Ninja Rev B
    clearing a MOSFET cooler here. Based on this picture, I'd have to
    guess that the heatsink clears the Gigabyte Northbridge.

    http://www.scythe-usa.com/support/cpu/008/images/Gigabyte-GA-965P-DS4-Ninja-Rev-B.jpg

    Now, the fan dimensions, are outside of the 110mm quoted for the
    heatsink. You can see that where the fan sits is also important.
    A fan which is 120mm across, protrudes left and right of the
    heatsink, when placed on the DIMM side of the heatsink. The fan
    looks to be riding pretty high here, so maybe that will be OK.
    If the bottom of the fan, actually rested below the level of
    the fin stack, then there would be a possibility of the bottom
    of the fan bumping against the Northbridge heatsink.

    http://www.scythe.co.jp/cooler/images/np400.jpg

    As near as I can tell, there is clearance to do the push pins,
    so maybe you'll be able to do that OK. To remove, you have to
    be able to rotate the push pin 90 degrees with a screwdriver.

    (Intel install movie for LGA775 here, for instructions on push pins.
    Movie I have here, is 16MB in size.)

    http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/100617.htm

    It's possible I've got the wrong heatsink, so maybe you can point
    me to the one you plan to use.

    Good luck,
    Paul
    Paul, Nov 24, 2007
  6. bornfree

    bornfree Guest

    On 24 Nov, 18:35, Paul <> wrote:
> [...]

    > A fan which is 120mm across, protrudes left and right of the
    > heatsink, when placed on the DIMM side of the heatsink. The fan
    > looks to be riding pretty high here, so maybe that will be OK.
    > If the bottom of the fan, actually rested below the level of
    > the fin stack, then there would be a possibility of the bottom
    > of the fan bumping against the Northbridge heatsink.
    >
    > http://www.scythe.co.jp/cooler/images/np400.jpg
    >
    > As near as I can tell, there is clearance to do the push pins,
    > so maybe you'll be able to do that OK. To remove, you have to
    > be able to rotate the push pin 90 degrees with a screwdriver.
    >
    > (Intel install movie for LGA775 here, for instructions on push pins.
    > Movie I have here, is 16MB in size.)
    >
    > http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/100617.htm
    >
    > It's possible I've got the wrong heatsink, so maybe you can point

    Thanks

    You seem to have exactly the right heat sink Scythe Ninja-PLUS Rev B.
    I don't use a fan with it though. I think that's superfluous
    considering I have a 120mm case fan fitted.

    Antec Solo case. Should allow a full size board such as the GIGABYTE
    GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775? If so it is going on my to buy list.
    bornfree, Nov 25, 2007
  7. bornfree

    Paul Guest

    bornfree wrote:

    > Thanks
    >
    > You seem to have exactly the right heat sink Scythe Ninja-PLUS Rev B.
    > I don't use a fan with it though. I think that's superfluous
    > considering I have a 120mm case fan fitted.
    >
    > Antec Solo case. Should allow a full size board such as the GIGABYTE
    > GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775? If so it is going on my to buy list.

    http://www.antec.com/specs/Solo_spe.html

    "Main Board Size 12"(W)x9.6"(L)"

    Those are the dimensions of a full sized ATX. Motherboards
    bigger than that, are the server ones. So the motherboard
    itself won't be a problem.

    Another thing to check, is the location and orientation of hard
    drive racks, with respect to video card slots. Some video cards
    are quite long, and they bump into the hard drive rack. The
    outside dimensions of the Solo aren't especially big, and I'd
    be concerned that maybe my video card would be a tight fit.

    http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/cases/antec/SOLO/images/Inside.JPG

    For example, if you had an 8.5" long video card, and hard drives
    as shown here, the fit might be a bit tight. Sometimes, the Newegg
    reviews for a particular video card, will mention fit problems.

    http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/cases/antec/SOLO/images/Install2.JPG

    Some of the Coolermaster products are a bit bigger. For example,
    this case has the crossbar removed, so you can fit the heatsink,
    and then put the motherboard into the case. The lower drives
    are turned sideways (good), but the 5.25" drive bays seem
    to line up with the video slot (bad).

    http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/11-119-137-13.jpg

    I have several Antec cases here, and as far as the metal work
    goes, I like them. The Sonata is the most recent of those, and
    has the lower drive bays turned sideways. That only causes a
    slight issue, when putting the side panel back on. I don't have
    SATA drives, but if I did, I'd probably need right angle connectors
    on the SATA drives, so I could put the panel back on. A "straight out"
    SATA connector wouldn't work, with drive bays turned sideways.

    If may not be elegant, to use a slightly larger case, but
    you'll do less cursing and swearing while working inside it.
    My first case was a dog in that respect, hard to get into (no
    easy side panel), poorly ventilated, crossbar to restrict opening
    on the side of the case, and by comparison, the current case
    designs are a pleasure to work in.

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 25, 2007