    systems, I used ECS K7S5A-Pro. I do wish for max. stability for her.
    Planning to use Win XP Pro.
    Thx in advance for ALL advice and suggestions. sdlomi2
    sdlomi2, Feb 15, 2004

    Philip Callan, Feb 15, 2004

  3. sdlomi2

    DaveW Guest

    You generally get what you pay for. If the Asrock motherboard is cheap,
    well ...

    --
    DaveW

    "sdlomi2" <> wrote in message
    > Neighbor wants a stable system, ~1.5ghz cpu, AMD Duron or XP+ (my
    > preferences) to surf, email, & run small home-business program. The

    prices
    > on Asrocks (Never used 1 before--but several Asrocks) look appealing.

    Never

    DaveW, Feb 15, 2004
  4. sdlomi2

    Mike Wynne Guest

    "sdlomi2" wrote...
    > Anyone with experience with this M810LMR Asrock?
    > Would you recommend it? Is there another Asrock that
    > would be preferred? Two of last 3 systems, I used ECS
    > K7S5A-Pro. I do wish for max. stability for her.

    I've never used the ASRock 810LMR board but I've built dozens of
    systems based on ASRock K7VM2, K7VM4 and K7VT4 boards, all running XP
    Home. Haven't had a single problem from any of them. )

    Personally, I prefer my A7N8X-Dlx but that cost me quite a bit more
    than these systems.

    MikeW
    Mike Wynne, Feb 15, 2004
  5. sdlomi2

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, "sdlomi2"
    <> wrote:

    > Neighbor wants a stable system, ~1.5ghz cpu, AMD Duron or XP+ (my
    > preferences) to surf, email, & run small home-business program. The prices
    > on Asrocks (Never used 1 before--but several Asrocks) look appealing. Never
    > used a mobo w/onboard video either, but she plays no games other'n
    > solitaire, etc.
    > I have DDR 2100 & 2700 and some PC133 sdram bo't w/rebates.
    > Anyone with experience with this M810LMR Asrock? Would you recommend
    > it? Is there another Asrock that would be preferred? Two of last 3
    > systems, I used ECS K7S5A-Pro. I do wish for max. stability for her.
    > Planning to use Win XP Pro.
    > Thx in advance for ALL advice and suggestions. sdlomi2

    http://www.asrock.com.tw/product/images/M810LMR-FACE.jpg

    If you cannot find comments on the board itself, do some research on
    the chipset. The 686B had some issues with disk I/O and while Via
    issued a patch for it, I believe there are some people who still have
    trouble, even with the patch.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...selm=LsSL6.64081$

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=

    The Northbridge is KL133A (VT8364A). It looks like this is the same
    chipset as is used on the Asus Terminator K7 (A7VC) board, so you might
    look for comments or problems with that product, to see if the
    M810LMR might be OK.

    The only advice I would offer on your selection, is it is handy to
    have an AGP slot, in case she finds the onboard video to be too slow.
    An A7N8X-VM is an option. It only has two DIMM slots. A slightly cheaper
    board that does the same thing is the Biostar M7NCG 400.

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Feb 16, 2004
  6. Asrock sells PCChips boards? Now that's what I call weird. BTW, the M810
    has been around for more than two years or so and is pretty old by now.
    If PCChips, I'd rather use a K7S5A. Maybe you can also find some KM400
    based board if you really want fuzzy onboard video.

    Stephan
    --
    Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
    PC#6: i440BX, 2xCel300A, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, GF2MX AGP 32 MiB, 110W
    Stephan Grossklass, Feb 16, 2004
  7. sdlomi2

    sdlomi2 Guest

    "Stephan Grossklass" <> wrote in message
    > Asrock sells PCChips boards? Now that's what I call weird. BTW, the M810
    > has been around for more than two years or so and is pretty old by now.
    > If PCChips, I'd rather use a K7S5A. Maybe you can also find some KM400
    > based board if you really want fuzzy onboard video.
    >
    > Stephan
    > --
    > Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
    > PC#6: i440BX, 2xCel300A, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, GF2MX AGP 32 MiB, 110W
    > This is a SCSI-inside, Legacy-plus, TCPA-free computer :)
    > Reply to newsgroup only. | See home page for working e-mail address.

    Thanks to all above who responded. Think the Asus A7N8X-VM(?) mentioned
    by Paul gets the vote. My personal comp. has the same mobo but w/o the
    video. I liked it so well I ordered a DeLuxe version along with the $20
    accessory pkg. from Asus RMA-dept. Love their controls. sdlomi
    sdlomi2, Feb 17, 2004