Is ATI Radeon HD 4350's temperatures from 56C/132F to 60C/139F degrees consider too hot?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Ant, Jul 11, 2011.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello.

    I would like to know if my my preinstalled ATI Radeon HD 4350 video
    card's temperatures (56C/132F to 60C/139F degrees) in my 1.5 years old
    Dell Studio XPS 8800 are considered too hot/high? I don't game on this
    office PC so I am going to assume these are just low usages.

    I am trying to figure out why my preinstalled, updated 64-bit W7 HP is
    crashing after a day or so (has been getting worse slowly for a few
    months [used to take a few months, then weeks, and now days for random
    hanging or blue screen problems to appear so I think something is broken
    or an hardware issue). Inside looked clean to me. Warm and cool air
    flows blow out from the PC's rear case vents.

    I ran the latest free System Information for Windows (SIW.exe) and got
    these sensors results:
    http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg30/scaled.php?server=30&filename=siwfreehwsensors.gif&res=medium
    .... I am concerned about those temperature readings on my video card
    that came with this PC, and maybe it is causing the crashes?

    Does anyone know which one is the video card's fan if it is shown? If it
    is not shown, then how can I find out its readings?

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    Quote of the Week: "If I want to be a robber, I rob the king's treasury.
    If I want to be a hunter, I hunt the rhino. What is the use of robbing

    1. Advertising

  2. Ed Light

    Ed Light Guest

    Re: Is ATI Radeon HD 4350's temperatures from 56C/132F to 60C/139Fdegrees consider too hot?

    Those temps are ok, but high for when not gaming. I'm assuming the 4350
    doesn't have a fan. It *should* be able to run like that without crashing.

    I have one which I had in a couple of PCs. Though it has a double-wide
    passive heatsink, it ran pretty hot. I used a Zalman fan bracket (google
    "zalman fan bracket") to suspend a slow (for quietness) 80mm fan over
    it, which cooled it down alot. I was thinking about longevity - every
    10C is supposed to shorten electronics' lives by 1/2. Also I was running
    a train sim, which pushed it way up there temp-wise when it was in 3D mode.

    Another way is to put a front fan in the case, if it can take one.

    However, probably the video card isn't crashing you.

    If the card does have a fan, maybe the heatsink fins are getting full of
    dust.
    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    1. Advertising

  3. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Ed Light <> wrote:
    > Those temps are ok, but high for when not gaming. I'm assuming the 4350
    > doesn't have a fan. It *should* be able to run like that without crashing.

    OK. Thanks. Rage3D and ATI forums say the values are fine. Fans do spin.

    > I have one which I had in a couple of PCs. Though it has a double-wide
    > passive heatsink, it ran pretty hot. I used a Zalman fan bracket (google
    > "zalman fan bracket") to suspend a slow (for quietness) 80mm fan over
    > it, which cooled it down alot. I was thinking about longevity - every
    > 10C is supposed to shorten electronics' lives by 1/2. Also I was running
    > a train sim, which pushed it way up there temp-wise when it was in 3D mode.

    > Another way is to put a front fan in the case, if it can take one.

    > However, probably the video card isn't crashing you.

    > If the card does have a fan, maybe the heatsink fins are getting full of
    > dust.

    The inside of the case looked clean to me.
    --
    Quote of the Week: "If I want to be a robber, I rob the king's treasury.
    If I want to be a hunter, I hunt the rhino. What is the use of robbing
    beggars and hunting ants? So if you want to love, love God." --Swami
    Vivekananda
    /\___/\ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    | |o o| |
    \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting,
    ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.

  4. Ed Light

    Ant wrote:

    >> If the card does have a fan, maybe the heatsink fins are getting full of
    >> dust.

    > The inside of the case looked clean to me.

    Video cards can have finely spaced fins that are enclosed under a cover,
    with a fan blowing through them. They can be real dust magnets. Even in
    a clean-looking case, periodic removal of the card to blast dust out
    with poofs from an air can may be needed. Best if there's a way to
    remove the cover and pick out wadded-in dust with a paper clip unfolded
    and bent at the end.