Is CompUSA in Madison, WI stll open?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by AKT, Dec 11, 2007.

  1. AKT

    AKT Guest

    I'll explain the circumstances below but to summarize this request, I'd
    appreciate help of anyone near Madison, WI in determining if the
    CompUSA store at 213 Junction Road (just off Hwy 12/14) is still open?
    Here is the Google map of the location:

    <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=213
    +junction+road+madison+wi&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.999041,65.21484
    4&ie=UTF8&ll=43.062986,-89.527165&spn=0.063084,0.127373&z=13&om=1>

    Now the circumstances. A few weeks ago CompUSA had advertised certain
    Mac computers which for were for store sales only. The nearest near me
    was in Madison (still 2.5 hours). I called and they said they had 2
    left and I decided to go and buy. When I got there, they couldn't find
    the machines (turns out they were being "refurbished"). The manager
    offered some extra incentive and said he'd ship it to me as soon as
    ready--- so I paid for it. Two weeks later, no computer and I read that
    CompUSA is going to close all stores soon! The manager has not
    responded to my emails and nobody is picking up the phone at the store.

    So, if you are in/near Madison and can help me figure out if the store
    is still open, that would be helpful.
     
    AKT, Dec 11, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In article <111220071116338122%>, AKT <>
    wrote:

    > I'll explain the circumstances below but to summarize this request,
    > I'd appreciate help of anyone near Madison, WI in determining if the
    > CompUSA store at 213 Junction Road (just off Hwy 12/14) is still
    > open?


    CompUSA has gone out of business. They're kaput.

    (Reply truncated to five newsgroups; the limit imposed by my news
    provider.)

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.
     
    Michelle Steiner, Dec 11, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In article <>,
    Michael Vilain <> wrote:

    > If you paid for it with a credit card, contact the company and do a
    > chargeback ASAP. It takes some companies 60 days to process these
    > things, so you better start NOW.


    If by "the company", you mean CompUSA, he should contact the credit card
    company. I've found that they will suspend payment and charge back
    immediately, but if they find that the charge is legitimate, they'll
    reverse that and charge you again.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.
     
    Michelle Steiner, Dec 11, 2007
    #3
  4. AKT

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Michelle
    Steiner <> wrote:

    >
    > CompUSA has gone out of business. They're kaput.


    not yet they haven't.

    the story i read was that they'll close 'after the holidays' with sales
    beginning during the holiday season.
     
    nospam, Dec 11, 2007
    #4
  5. AKT

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Arny Krueger
    <> wrote:

    > You mean they closed like 128 stores.
    >
    > There seem to be about 100 stores that are still open.
    >
    > Or did something more happen just lately?


    the rest of the stores will be closing in a month or two, and at that
    point, compusa will be history.
     
    nospam, Dec 11, 2007
    #5
  6. Arnii Krooborg poops himself

    The Big Shit demonstrates his great acumen in the kompyootur business.

    > > CompUSA has gone out of business. They're kaput.


    > Really?
    > You mean they closed like 128 stores.
    > There seem to be about 100 stores that are still open.
    > Or did something more happen just lately?


    Looks like "Google lied" to you again, Turdy. Your handicaps are
    overwhelming.
     
    George M. Middius, Dec 11, 2007
    #6
  7. In article <>,
    "Arny Krueger" <> wrote:

    > There seem to be about 100 stores that are still open.
    >
    > Or did something more happen just lately?


    My error; the remaining 103 stores will stay open through the holiday
    season, and then close.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.
     
    Michelle Steiner, Dec 11, 2007
    #7
  8. AKT

    AKT Guest

    Michael Vilain <> wrote:

    > If you paid for it with a credit card, contact the company and do a
    > chargeback ASAP. It takes some companies 60 days to process these
    > things, so you better start NOW.
    >
    > If you paid for it with a check or cash, you're screwed.


    Thanks. Fortunately I did pay with credit card -- no great foresight on
    my part, just habit :).

    Anyway, my thought is, I have no reason to assume they were trying to
    scam me; phones not being answered could just be the environment of
    store closing soon and busy liquidation sales. So, if the store is open
    and I can pick up my computer, I'll just go get it. (Obviously no more
    waiting for them to ship!). Maybe, I'll give it one day to figure this
    out. Otherwise I'll call the bank tomorrow to cancel the charge.
     
    AKT, Dec 11, 2007
    #8
  9. AKT

    Madwen Guest

    In article <>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "Arny Krueger" <> wrote:
    >
    > > There seem to be about 100 stores that are still open.
    > >
    > > Or did something more happen just lately?

    >
    > My error; the remaining 103 stores will stay open through the holiday
    > season, and then close.


    I heard that it's one of those Icahnesque kind of things... that they
    were bought out by one of those "investment" companies.
     
    Madwen, Dec 11, 2007
    #9
  10. AKT

    Gerry Guest

    In article
    <5.spcsdns.net>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > In article <111220071014571122%>,
    > nospam <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>, Arny Krueger
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > You mean they closed like 128 stores.
    > > >
    > > > There seem to be about 100 stores that are still open.
    > > >
    > > > Or did something more happen just lately?

    > >
    > > the rest of the stores will be closing in a month or two, and at that
    > > point, compusa will be history.

    >
    > ...and I'll break out some champagne...


    Actually hold the champagne or beverage of choice. See the top news
    article at the CompUSA web site:

    <http://www.compusa.com/about/news.asp>

    Selected stores and the CompUSA TechPro and internet operations may
    continue well after a month or two.
     
    Gerry, Dec 11, 2007
    #10
  11. In article <>,
    John McWilliams <> wrote:

    > Jolly Roger wrote:
    > > In article <111220071014571122%>,
    > > nospam <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> In article <>, Arny Krueger
    > >> <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> You mean they closed like 128 stores.
    > >>>
    > >>> There seem to be about 100 stores that are still open.
    > >>>
    > >>> Or did something more happen just lately?
    > >> the rest of the stores will be closing in a month or two, and at that
    > >> point, compusa will be history.

    > >
    > > ...and I'll break out some champagne...

    >
    > I wonder how the company is valued, if indeed it's being purchased by
    > investors. Usually there's "Goodwill" to account for , but in this case,
    > for many, there's naught but bad will.


    My understanding of the deal is that the founder of a large
    Mexican telecom bought CompUSA a year or two ago to try to turn
    it around. At that time, they closed about 1/2 of the existing
    stores. A few days ago, the Mexican guy gave up. He "sold"
    CompUSA to a liquidation company by transferring CompUSA and
    a boat load of money to the liquidator. The liquidator will
    close all stores shortly after the holiday season, liquidate
    the merchandise and fixtures, and buy out all the leases.

    -john-

    --
    ======================================================================
    John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
    Newave Communications http://www.johnweeks.com
    ======================================================================
     
    John A. Weeks III, Dec 11, 2007
    #11
  12. AKT

    Mark A Guest

    "Michelle Steiner" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > CompUSA has gone out of business. They're kaput.


    They will not close all of their stores until after Christmas.
     
    Mark A, Dec 12, 2007
    #12
  13. AKT

    AKT Guest

    Gary A. Edelstein <> wrote:

    > I live in Madison. I called their number, 608-827-9333, and tried
    > ext. 8 for a real person. After 3 tries, I was able to get a real
    > person at the store who said they might stay open until February. He
    > said they will begin the process of liquidating this week.
    >
    > I also got a hold of a regular sales person at their 800 number who
    > said the store was open for now but will likely close in January.
    >
    > I'd say keep trying by phone to check on your order status or to
    > cancel the order. Given you paid by credit card should provide some
    > level of protection.
    > ..


    Thank you. I appreciate the info. I too finally got through to a live
    person. He said the manager from 2 weeks ago no longer works there. He
    took down my info. So, in a day or so, I should have it resolved,
    either computer or refund.
     
    AKT, Dec 12, 2007
    #13
  14. In article <1i8yrae.1qos3yeilsqdwN%>,
    (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > > My error; the remaining 103 stores will stay open through the
    > > holiday season, and then close.

    >
    > Our local Mac user group is giving away CompUSA gift cards, $50 to
    > $200, as holiday door prizes tomorrow evening. With the going out of
    > business sales I anticipate, the winners will get terrific deals if
    > they hurry, or end up with the plastic equivalent of lumps of coal if
    > they hesitate.


    According to their web site, none of their stores in my neck of the
    woods is still open. Their nearest store is in Tucson, more than 80
    miles away.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.
     
    Michelle Steiner, Dec 12, 2007
    #14
  15. In article <>,
    "Arny Krueger" <> wrote:

    > > My error; the remaining 103 stores will stay open through the
    > > holiday season, and then close.

    >
    > Thanks for correcting yourself so nicely, Michelle.


    Well, it was better than writing, "Michelle, you moron; more than one
    hundred stores will stay open, you blithering idiot!"

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.
     
    Michelle Steiner, Dec 12, 2007
    #15
  16. In article <1i902cf.1fmjdmo1praparN%>,
    (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > > According to their web site, none of their stores in my neck of the
    > > woods is still open.

    >
    > But, then again, there's no woods in your neck of the woods, either.
    > ;-)


    Only if you discount the citrus orchards and the one pistachio orchard.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.
     
    Michelle Steiner, Dec 12, 2007
    #16
  17. AKT

    AKT Guest

    Gary, Michelle, Mike, everybody:

    There is new development in my saga. I have posted a question in
    separate thread -

    Need help: how much would you pay for "used, inspected, warranty-less"
    Imac?

    Basically the new owners of CompUSA are saying that the old manager
    made a mistake in offering Apple Care (the machine is not eligible for
    it) but I can have that Imac---used, refurbished, inspected, but no
    warranty and ineligible for Apple care or free Leopard---"AS IS" for
    $730.

    You guys are experienced experts. Would you take the deal or not?
     
    AKT, Dec 12, 2007
    #17
  18. AKT

    Gerry Guest

    In article <121220071417598306%>, AKT <>
    wrote:

    > Gary, Michelle, Mike, everybody:
    >
    > There is new development in my saga. I have posted a question in
    > separate thread -
    >
    > Need help: how much would you pay for "used, inspected, warranty-less"
    > Imac?
    >
    > Basically the new owners of CompUSA are saying that the old manager
    > made a mistake in offering Apple Care (the machine is not eligible for
    > it) but I can have that Imac---used, refurbished, inspected, but no
    > warranty and ineligible for Apple care or free Leopard---"AS IS" for
    > $730.
    >
    > You guys are experienced experts. Would you take the deal or not?


    What size screen? How much RAM?

    You can get a 20" iMac with 1 GB of RAM, new with warranty, for $1144,
    which is also eligible for AppleCare.
     
    Gerry, Dec 12, 2007
    #18
  19. AKT

    AKT Guest

    Gerry <> wrote:

    > What size screen? How much RAM?
    >
    > You can get a 20" iMac with 1 GB of RAM, new with warranty, for $1144,
    > which is also eligible for AppleCare.


    The machine in question is older white-border imac: 20" 2.16GHz, 1GB
    RAM, 250 HD.. Apple refurbs sell for 1099.

    What I am offered is a refurbished + *inspected* unit for $730---it
    works now, but it will come with no warranty, not eligible for Apple
    Care, nor for free Leopard upgrade. *As* *Is*, but inspected to work.
    Once I take it out the door, all responsibility is mine and God's. :)
     
    AKT, Dec 12, 2007
    #19
  20. AKT

    Gerry Guest

    In article <121220071511009248%>, AKT <>
    wrote:

    > Gerry <> wrote:
    >
    > > What size screen? How much RAM?
    > >
    > > You can get a 20" iMac with 1 GB of RAM, new with warranty, for $1144,
    > > which is also eligible for AppleCare.

    >
    > The machine in question is older white-border imac: 20" 2.16GHz, 1GB
    > RAM, 250 HD.. Apple refurbs sell for 1099.
    >
    > What I am offered is a refurbished + *inspected* unit for $730---it
    > works now, but it will come with no warranty, not eligible for Apple
    > Care, nor for free Leopard upgrade. *As* *Is*, but inspected to work.
    > Once I take it out the door, all responsibility is mine and God's. :)


    Personally I would go for a new iMac more up-to-date architecture and it
    comes with Leopard, and the machine would have a warrantee. You might
    think you are saving $400.00 but in fact you may be throwing $730.00
    down the drain.
     
    Gerry, Dec 12, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mike Bernstein
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    283
    BigBadger
    Jan 9, 2004
  2. Matt
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    915
  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Perls=F8?=

    Where's Madison ?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Perls=F8?=, Nov 12, 2003, in forum: Intel
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    379
    James Boswell
    Nov 28, 2003
  4. Lightnen
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    278
    Gonzo
    Jun 22, 2004
  5. AKT
    Replies:
    30
    Views:
    2,508
Loading...

Share This Page