Is Intel Graphics Controller support dual monitor?

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Thaqalain, Aug 20, 2005.

  1. Thaqalain

    Thaqalain Guest

    In my favorite computer,I have Intel(R)82845G/GL Graphics
    Controller,Video BIOS Version 2759,will it support dual monitor?
    Do both individual VGAs have to support dual monitor?
    ----
    INTEL(R) GRAPHICS REPORT

    Report Date: 08,08,2005
    Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 21:59:50
    Driver Version: 6.13.01.3119
    Operating System: Windows NT* 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
    Default Language: English
    DirectX* Version: 8.1
    Physical Memory: 125 MB
    Processor: x86
    Processor Speed: 1800 MHZ
    Vendor ID: 0x8086
    Device ID: 0x2562
    Device Revision: 1

    * Output Devices Connected to Graphics Accelerator *

    Active Monitors:1

    I have inserted REALITY 334 SGARAM 4MB PCI (S3 ViRGE GX2) into another
    slot(#2),but its not working either in safe mode or by disabling
    original Intel Graphics Controller.Windows failed to installed it's
    drive by any means.Only monitor attached to Intel GC is working.How can

    I activate other card,to show both monitors working same time.
    Thaqalain, Aug 20, 2005

  2. Hmmm, well according to this, Windows XP should have a built in driver
    for the S3 ViRGE GX2, unless it is a GX2+:
    http://www.s3graphics.com/legacy.jsp

    One possibility is that your old graphics card is too old to allow it to
    be used in a dual graphics card configuration. Typically, what happens
    in this case is that each graphics adapter has its VGA BIOS. If there
    is more than one graphics adapter, at least one of the VGA BIOSes must
    be able to move itself to another address. Some older cards cannot do
    this. Just about any PCI graphics card on the market today can do this,
    however.

    Something you may try is to go into your motherboard's BIOS and look for
    a setting like "Primary Display", "Primary VGA", etc. The settings are
    typically something like "AGP/Onboard" and "PCI". Try setting to "PCI".
    This will make the ViRGE card your new primary VGA, and maybe the
    onboard Intel graphics will work its way around the ViRGE.

    Note that when you make the ViRGE your primary, all your BIOS screens
    will go through that card. When you get to Windows, the display may
    suddenly turn off. If this happens, move your monitor cable back and
    forth between the two graphics adapters. Windows XP has its own ideas
    about what is "primary".

    If this does not work, then the problem is probably that the old
    graphics card cannot handle this configuration. You will need to get a
    newer PCI card. I know for a fact that the integrated Intel graphics
    can be used in a dual monitor setup. I am typing in one right now. ;)

    Hope this helps.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Aug 22, 2005

  3. Thaqalain

    Thaqalain Guest

    How can I go into my motherboard's BIOS and will there be chance to
    restore to original settings if it failed to support dual monitor?
    Thaqalain, Sep 5, 2005
  4. To go into the BIOS, there is usually some key you have to hit an the
    initial bootup screen, before it starts loading Windows. Usually, it is
    something like F1, F2, F10, or Del. It depends on the computer. If you
    see a message that says "Press <something> to enter SETUP", that is what
    you are looking for.

    Once you are in there, you usually navigate with the arrow keys and make
    changes with the PageUp/PageDown keys, or hitting ENTER and then
    changing the value. It varies, but the directions are usually on the
    screen.

    If your setup fails to support dual monitors (with this particular
    configuration), it is simple enough to recover. Just pull the PCI
    graphics card out. The setting I am talking about is just the order to
    initialize graphics cards (onboard first, then PCI...? PCI first, then
    onboard...?). If you tell it to search for the PCI graphics card first,
    but it is not installed, then it will just move on to the onboard
    graphics. No harm done.

    Alex Zorrilla, Sep 6, 2005