    Mountain Lion?

    --
    Enviado desde mi iPad, Juan I. Cahis, Santiago de Chile.
    Juan I. Cahis, Jul 25, 2012

  2. Juan I. Cahis

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <
    ganews.com>, Juan I. Cahis <> wrote:

    > Is it good to upgrade directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion?

    sure. it's fully supported.

    > Or will be better to go from Snow Leopard to Lion, and in a couple of
    > weeks, when Lion is working OK in my machine, then to go from Lion to to
    > Mountain Lion?

    upgrade whenever you have the need to upgrade. you might want to wait
    for 10.8.1 or .2 to fix the inevitable bugs in a .0 release.

    you don't need lion in the interim, unless you have an app you need to
    run that won't run on snow leopard.
    nospam, Jul 25, 2012

  3. Juan I. Cahis

    Chris Schram Guest

    In article
    <
    ganews.com>,
    Juan I. Cahis <> wrote:

    > Dear friends:
    >
    > Is it good to upgrade directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion?
    >
    > Or will be better to go from Snow Leopard to Lion, and in a couple of
    > weeks, when Lion is working OK in my machine, then to go from Lion to to
    > Mountain Lion?

    Upgrading from Snow Leopard should give you no trouble at all, provided
    you have rid your system of any and all PowerPC applications. If you
    still need PowerPC support, better stick with Snow Leopard.

    --
    is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies WILL be lost.
    Try <http://public.xdi.org/=chris.schram> instead.
    Chris Schram, Jul 26, 2012
  4. Juan I. Cahis

    sbt Guest

    In article <>, Chris
    Schram <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <
    > ganews.com>,
    > Juan I. Cahis <> wrote:
    >
    > > Dear friends:
    > >
    > > Is it good to upgrade directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion?
    > >
    > > Or will be better to go from Snow Leopard to Lion, and in a couple of
    > > weeks, when Lion is working OK in my machine, then to go from Lion to to
    > > Mountain Lion?

    > Upgrading from Snow Leopard should give you no trouble at all, provided
    > you have rid your system of any and all PowerPC applications. If you
    > still need PowerPC support, better stick with Snow Leopard.

    ???

    Snow Leopard was the first OS X release that _didn't_ have PowerPC
    support, so that isn't an issue.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt, Jul 26, 2012
  5. Juan I. Cahis

    nospam Guest

    In article <250720122048361321%>, sbt
    <> wrote:

    > > Upgrading from Snow Leopard should give you no trouble at all, provided
    > > you have rid your system of any and all PowerPC applications. If you
    > > still need PowerPC support, better stick with Snow Leopard.

    > ???
    >
    > Snow Leopard was the first OS X release that _didn't_ have PowerPC
    > support, so that isn't an issue.

    not quite.

    snow leopard was the first release that would not boot on powerpc macs,
    however, it still supported running powerpc apps via rosetta.

    lion removes rosetta. powerpc apps no longer run.
    nospam, Jul 26, 2012
  6. Juan I. Cahis

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Chris
    Schram <> wrote:

    > > Is it good to upgrade directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion?
    > >
    > > Or will be better to go from Snow Leopard to Lion, and in a couple of
    > > weeks, when Lion is working OK in my machine, then to go from Lion to to
    > > Mountain Lion?

    > Upgrading from Snow Leopard should give you no trouble at all, provided
    > you have rid your system of any and all PowerPC applications. If you
    > still need PowerPC support, better stick with Snow Leopard.

    actually you don't have to get rid of them when upgrading. they won't
    work in lion or mountain lion, but they also don't hurt anything if
    they're still there.
    nospam, Jul 26, 2012
  7. Juan I. Cahis

    Bread Guest

    On 2012-07-26 03:53:02 +0000, nospam said:

    > In article <250720122048361321%>, sbt
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Upgrading from Snow Leopard should give you no trouble at all, provided
    >>> you have rid your system of any and all PowerPC applications. If you
    >>> still need PowerPC support, better stick with Snow Leopard.

    >> ???
    >>
    >> Snow Leopard was the first OS X release that _didn't_ have PowerPC
    >> support, so that isn't an issue.

    > not quite.
    >
    > snow leopard was the first release that would not boot on powerpc macs,
    > however, it still supported running powerpc apps via rosetta.

    However, Rosetta was not installed by default. Under SL, the first
    time you tried to run a PowerPC app, it would explicitly ask you if you
    wanted to install Rosetta, and then, if you wanted it, would do so.
    Bread, Jul 26, 2012
  8. Juan I. Cahis

    nospam Guest

    In article <juruv0$k0i$>, Bread
    <> wrote:

    > >> ???
    > >>
    > >> Snow Leopard was the first OS X release that _didn't_ have PowerPC
    > >> support, so that isn't an issue.

    > > not quite.
    > >
    > > snow leopard was the first release that would not boot on powerpc macs,
    > > however, it still supported running powerpc apps via rosetta.

    > However, Rosetta was not installed by default. Under SL, the first
    > time you tried to run a PowerPC app, it would explicitly ask you if you
    > wanted to install Rosetta, and then, if you wanted it, would do so.

    true, and now you no longer have that option at all. it's gone.
    nospam, Jul 26, 2012
  9. Juan I. Cahis

    John Varela Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 17:47:17 UTC, nospam <>
    wrote:

    > > > not quite.
    > > >
    > > > snow leopard was the first release that would not boot on powerpc macs,
    > > > however, it still supported running powerpc apps via rosetta.

    > > However, Rosetta was not installed by default. Under SL, the first
    > > time you tried to run a PowerPC app, it would explicitly ask you if you
    > > wanted to install Rosetta, and then, if you wanted it, would do so.

    > true, and now you no longer have that option at all. it's gone.

    Which is why I am still on 10.6.8. I have only one important
    application that needs Rosetta, and that is the Epson driver for my
    scanner. The Epson driver has many more controls than Image Capture,
    and these are important when scanning old faded Ektachrome slides. I
    have just about finished with my big scanning project, so I'm
    considering moving up to Mountain Lion.

    --
    John Varela
    John Varela, Jul 27, 2012