Is it possible to run Win98SE on all mobos?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by B, Jan 13, 2010.

  1. B

    B Guest

    Is it possible to run win98SE on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe?

    When I downloaded the manual, it asked what OS I wanted, and there was
    no item in the list for win98? (I also have XP and it had that
    listed)

    OTOH, when I dl'd the owner's manual for A7V600, the list included 98,
    98SE, ME, and XP.

    Does that really mean I can't run 98SE on the A8N-SLI Deluxe, or only
    that no special helper software exists for that OS, like the program
    that monitors temperature.

    I have dual boot with XP and I'm not ready to get rid of it it if I
    don't have to.

    Thanks a lot

    1. Advertising

  2. McCorkindale

    McCorkindale Guest

    "B" <> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to run win98SE on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe?
    >
    > When I downloaded the manual, it asked what OS I wanted, and there was
    > no item in the list for win98? (I also have XP and it had that
    > listed)
    >
    > OTOH, when I dl'd the owner's manual for A7V600, the list included 98,
    > 98SE, ME, and XP.
    >
    > Does that really mean I can't run 98SE on the A8N-SLI Deluxe, or only
    > that no special helper software exists for that OS, like the program
    > that monitors temperature.
    >
    > I have dual boot with XP and I'm not ready to get rid of it it if I
    > don't have to.
    >
    > Thanks a lot

    To answer your Question in a simple way - I would say
    - it may - but with some problems.

    The main problem are drivers. However I run win 95 and 98
    on MSI 6178 , 6309, GA-8PE667 Ultr/Pro, Super Micro P6SBU
    and P6DBE (one CPU only ) P6SBA. Some drivers work
    almost OK, but don't expect all of them working. Main
    problem might be with drivers for Ethernet Card,
    then if you get internet connection done - you might
    be OK.

    1. Advertising

  3. Run it? probably, minimally. But there are probably no Win98 drivers
    for a LOT of modern motherboards, so while it may "run", it may also be
    pretty pathetic. And in some cases it won't run.

    B wrote:
    > Is it possible to run win98SE on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe?
    >
    > When I downloaded the manual, it asked what OS I wanted, and there was
    > no item in the list for win98? (I also have XP and it had that
    > listed)
    >
    > OTOH, when I dl'd the owner's manual for A7V600, the list included 98,
    > 98SE, ME, and XP.
    >
    > Does that really mean I can't run 98SE on the A8N-SLI Deluxe, or only
    > that no special helper software exists for that OS, like the program
    > that monitors temperature.
    >
    > I have dual boot with XP and I'm not ready to get rid of it it if I
    > don't have to.
    >
    > Thanks a lot

  4. mm

    mm Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:14:55 GMT, "McCorkindale"
    <> wrote:

    >"B" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to run win98SE on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe?
    >>
    >> When I downloaded the manual, it asked what OS I wanted, and there was
    >> no item in the list for win98? (I also have XP and it had that
    >> listed)
    >>
    >> OTOH, when I dl'd the owner's manual for A7V600, the list included 98,
    >> 98SE, ME, and XP.
    >>
    >> Does that really mean I can't run 98SE on the A8N-SLI Deluxe, or only
    >> that no special helper software exists for that OS, like the program
    >> that monitors temperature.
    >>
    >> I have dual boot with XP and I'm not ready to get rid of it it if I
    >> don't have to.
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot

    Thanks for your answer. It turns out I don't have to get this done
    today after all. See my post in the next thread.

    >To answer your Question in a simple way - I would say
    >- it may - but with some problems.
    >
    >The main problem are drivers. However I run win 95 and 98

    Like drivers for the onboard audio, right? If worst comes to worst, I
    would be able to disable the onboard audio and plug a card in.

    >on MSI 6178 , 6309, GA-8PE667 Ultr/Pro, Super Micro P6SBU
    >and P6DBE (one CPU only ) P6SBA. Some drivers work
    >almost OK, but don't expect all of them working. Main
    >problem might be with drivers for Ethernet Card,
    >then if you get internet connection done - you might
    >be OK.

    So if worst comes to worst, I could plug in an Ethernet card that came
    with drivers?

    The first computer I assembled, from a brand-new mobo, not ASUS (I
    forget who made it), woudln't run my floppy drives. I ended up using
    an I/O card for quite a few years.

  5. I-Plex

    I-Plex Guest

    "mm" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:14:55 GMT, "McCorkindale"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"B" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is it possible to run win98SE on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe?
    >>>
    >>> When I downloaded the manual, it asked what OS I wanted, and there was
    >>> no item in the list for win98? (I also have XP and it had that
    >>> listed)
    >>>
    >>> OTOH, when I dl'd the owner's manual for A7V600, the list included 98,
    >>> 98SE, ME, and XP.
    >>>
    >>> Does that really mean I can't run 98SE on the A8N-SLI Deluxe, or only
    >>> that no special helper software exists for that OS, like the program
    >>> that monitors temperature.
    >>>
    >>> I have dual boot with XP and I'm not ready to get rid of it it if I
    >>> don't have to.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks a lot

    > Thanks for your answer. It turns out I don't have to get this done
    > today after all. See my post in the next thread.
    >
    >>To answer your Question in a simple way - I would say
    >>- it may - but with some problems.
    >>
    >>The main problem are drivers. However I run win 95 and 98

    > Like drivers for the onboard audio, right? If worst comes to worst, I
    > would be able to disable the onboard audio and plug a card in.
    >
    >>on MSI 6178 , 6309, GA-8PE667 Ultr/Pro, Super Micro P6SBU
    >>and P6DBE (one CPU only ) P6SBA. Some drivers work
    >>almost OK, but don't expect all of them working. Main
    >>problem might be with drivers for Ethernet Card,
    >>then if you get internet connection done - you might
    >>be OK.

    > So if worst comes to worst, I could plug in an Ethernet card that came
    > with drivers?

    Yes, but with drivers for the OS you are running. You have to use
    an earlier Ethernet card which has drivers for Win 95 & 98.
    Sometime this cane create problems.

    > The first computer I assembled, from a brand-new mobo, not ASUS (I
    > forget who made it), woudln't run my floppy drives. I ended up using
    > an I/O card for quite a few years.

  6. I-Plex

    I-Plex Guest

    Indeed, but if someone in vicinity has an old archive of
    CDs which usually came with PCW or PC Pro magazines
    they could be of some help too as far as drivers and
    updates are concern.

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in
    message news:him0kf$b6b$-september.org...