    plugging in an ethernet cable wont work either. And I have no sound.
    Two weeks ago the sound card was working fine, now all I get are
    computer beeps.
    AlphaOmega, Jun 27, 2007

  2. AlphaOmega

    Ben Myers Guest

    If the computer stalls often at the XP splash screen, but eventually boots up,
    this is probably a sign that something is not quite right with the motherboard.
    It could also be a hard drive failing slowly.

    At this point, I recommend doing two things, one of which might pinpoint the
    problem.

    First, download and run MEMTEST-86 or MEMTEST-86+, the best and completely free
    memory diagnostics available. If MEMTEST shows even one error while running for
    a couple of hours, either the computer memory is defective or possibly there is
    a motherboard problem.

    Next, determine the manufacturer of the hard drive, then download and run the
    manufacturer's diagnostics to determine the health of the drive. If the drive
    is bad, it needs to be replaced.

    The rest of the problems may be due to software driver issues. As a rule when
    reinstalling Windows, install the motherboard chipset drivers as absolutely the
    first drivers immediately after the Windows install completes. Then install
    video, network, audio, and any other drivers. If you don't install the chipset
    drivers first, none of the others are likely to work properly.

    If the system is under warranty from Gateway, ask them to fix it. If not, your
    next step is a real crap shoot. Gateway charges large amounts of money for out
    of warranty repairs and local computer shops or service providers are sometimes
    gun shy of servicing name brands. If you are near ZIP 01451, I tackle any
    repair of any brand of computer with a very high degree of success... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 27, 2007