Is my Mac dying?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Phil, Mar 27, 2008.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Hi everyone:

    I have a Power Mac G4 ( Mac OS X 10.3.9) running Safari 1.3.2 (v312.6)
    Hard drive is 70% free. I have DSL internet- speedtests show about
    1500-1800kbps DOWNLOAD & 300-400kbps UPLOAD.

    I have been having a few problems lately that make me wonder if my machine
    is getting ready to call it quits.

    1. About four times in the past six months I have turned on the computer and
    been greeted with nothing but a blue screen. Nothing else. If I hold down the
    power button for five seconds it will turn off, and then when I restart it, all is well.
    This makes me VERY NERVOUS each time it happens since I have heard about the
    Mac's 'Blue Screen Of Death.'

    2. I am having so many problems with Safari lately. It has been crashing more and
    more frequently for the past few months. Very annoying.

    3. The past couple weeks Safari has become really bad about loading pages.
    It may load 80% and then freeze up. Or take a couple minutes to load a page.

    Comments would be appreciated.

    Thanks, Phil

    Phil, Mar 27, 2008

  2. Phil

    Gerry Guest

    In article <20080327120224.615$>,
    d(Phil) wrote:

    > Hi everyone:
    >
    > I have a Power Mac G4 ( Mac OS X 10.3.9) running Safari 1.3.2 (v312.6)
    > Hard drive is 70% free. I have DSL internet- speedtests show about
    > 1500-1800kbps DOWNLOAD & 300-400kbps UPLOAD.
    >
    > I have been having a few problems lately that make me wonder if my machine
    > is getting ready to call it quits.
    >
    > 1. About four times in the past six months I have turned on the computer and
    > been greeted with nothing but a blue screen. Nothing else. If I hold down the
    > power button for five seconds it will turn off, and then when I restart it,
    > all is well.
    > This makes me VERY NERVOUS each time it happens since I have heard about the
    > Mac's 'Blue Screen Of Death.'
    >
    > 2. I am having so many problems with Safari lately. It has been crashing more
    > and
    > more frequently for the past few months. Very annoying.
    >
    > 3. The past couple weeks Safari has become really bad about loading pages.
    > It may load 80% and then freeze up. Or take a couple minutes to load a page.
    >
    > Comments would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Phil

    Have you run Disk Utility to see what it reports on the condition of
    your disk and permissions?

    Gerry, Mar 27, 2008

  3. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Gerry <> wrote:
    > In article <20080327120224.615$>,
    > d(Phil) wrote:
    >
    > > Hi everyone:
    > >
    > > I have a Power Mac G4 ( Mac OS X 10.3.9) running Safari 1.3.2 (v312.6)
    > > Hard drive is 70% free. I have DSL internet- speedtests show about
    > > 1500-1800kbps DOWNLOAD & 300-400kbps UPLOAD.
    > >
    > > I have been having a few problems lately that make me wonder if my
    > > machine is getting ready to call it quits.
    > >
    > > 1. About four times in the past six months I have turned on the
    > > computer and been greeted with nothing but a blue screen. Nothing else.
    > > If I hold down the power button for five seconds it will turn off, and
    > > then when I restart it, all is well.
    > > This makes me VERY NERVOUS each time it happens since I have heard
    > > about the Mac's 'Blue Screen Of Death.'
    > >
    > > 2. I am having so many problems with Safari lately. It has been
    > > crashing more and
    > > more frequently for the past few months. Very annoying.
    > >
    > > 3. The past couple weeks Safari has become really bad about loading
    > > pages. It may load 80% and then freeze up. Or take a couple minutes to
    > > load a page.
    > >
    > > Comments would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Phil

    > Have you run Disk Utility to see what it reports on the condition of
    > your disk and permissions?

    Yes, I have run 'Varifiy' & 'Repair.'

    Phil, Mar 27, 2008
  4. Phil

    Guest

    d(phil) writes:

    > I have a Power Mac G4 ( Mac OS X 10.3.9) running Safari 1.3.2 (v312.6)
    > [...]
    > 1. About four times in the past six months I have turned on the computer
    > and been greeted with nothing but a blue screen. Nothing else. If I hold
    > down the power button for five seconds it will turn off, and then when I
    > restart it, all is well. This makes me VERY NERVOUS each time it happens
    > since I have heard about the Mac's 'Blue Screen Of Death.'

    This is not unusual. I have several 10.3 machines, and it happens once
    in a while on all of them. Just hit the reset button. You don't have to
    hold it down. It's the left one of the two just below the power button
    on the front of the computer. Once in a while it takes more than one
    reset, but be patient and give it a chance first.

    > 2. I am having so many problems with Safari lately. It has been crashing
    > more and more frequently for the past few months. Very annoying.
    >
    > 3. The past couple weeks Safari has become really bad about loading
    > pages. It may load 80% and then freeze up. Or take a couple minutes to
    > load a page.

    This is probably because it's old, Apple no longer provides updates for
    it under 10.3, and web pages are using new things that it can't handle.
    There are also security issues in it that have been fixed in newer
    versions, but remain unresolved in the one you're using.

    Try the Camino browser and see how you like it.

    http://www.caminobrowser.org/

    I haven't used Safari in a long time now, because it's quite a slug
    compared to Camino. Firefox is also pretty good, but not as fast.
    Camino is from the same people, but optimized for the Mac - at the
    expense of not having as many extra features in it as Firefox.

    In any event, it's important to use a currently maintained browser
    to be reasonably safe from web site based attacks on your system.

    Billy Y..

    , Mar 27, 2008
  5. Phil

    Guest

    Jolly Roger <> writes:

    > The next time you get the blue screen, reboot and examine your system
    > log. The system log will very likely contain an error message stating
    > what is causing the problem.

    There are likely existing log files to check. Open
    the Console utility, then click on Logs in the upper
    left corner of its window, and look around.

    Although, at least on my machines, this display does
    not include /private/var/log/windowserver.log

    In my case not much gets logged, but here's something
    from windowserver.log that is probably relevant -

    Oct 31 15:08:17 [226] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXPostEventByConnection: invalid connection
    Oct 31 15:08:42 [226] CGXRestartSessionWorkspace: session workspace exited for session 256 ( on console )
    Oct 31 15:08:42 [226] loginwindow connection closed; closing server.

    The process name is not logged, but I'd guess that
    WindowServer or a close relative wrote these.

    The hangs are not reproducable, at all, and because
    Apple is no longer maintaining 10.3, I doubt this will
    ever get fixed. But, any clues would be appreciated.

    Billy Y..

    , Mar 27, 2008
  6. d(Phil) wrote:
    > Hi everyone:
    >
    > I have a Power Mac G4 ( Mac OS X 10.3.9) running Safari 1.3.2 (v312.6)
    > Hard drive is 70% free. I have DSL internet- speedtests show about
    > 1500-1800kbps DOWNLOAD & 300-400kbps UPLOAD.
    >
    > I have been having a few problems lately that make me wonder if my
    > machine is getting ready to call it quits.
    >
    > 1. About four times in the past six months I have turned on the computer
    > and been greeted with nothing but a blue screen. Nothing else. If I hold
    > down the power button for five seconds it will turn off, and then when I
    > restart it, all is well. This makes me VERY NERVOUS each time it happens
    > since I have heard about the Mac's 'Blue Screen Of Death.'
    >
    > 2. I am having so many problems with Safari lately. It has been crashing
    > more and more frequently for the past few months. Very annoying.
    >
    > 3. The past couple weeks Safari has become really bad about loading
    > pages. It may load 80% and then freeze up. Or take a couple minutes to
    > load a page.
    >
    > Comments would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Phil

    Thanks ( Gerry, Billy, Jolly ) for the replies. The computer logs weren't much help.
    I couldn't find much there. It sounds like my biggest problem is using an outdated
    browser.

    I will take a look at the 'Camino' browser when I get a chance. Also I might consider
    buying a updated version from Apple. Panther / Leopard, whatever would be compatible
    with my system.

    Ahhh, what I really would like is to get a new 'puter. Love the looks of the new all-in-ones
    but they're not in my budget ...

    Thanks, Phil

    Phil Marshall, Mar 28, 2008
  7. Phil

    Guest

    J.J. O'Shea <> writes:

    > One or more hard drive attached to the system (ATA, FireWire, USB, whatever)
    > may have a problem. I had that behaviour with a G4 just before its internal
    > hard drive went tits-up. How good are your backups?

    In my case, there are two internal drives in the machines. All are about a
    year old Seagate ST3120814As, and I'm reasonably sure they are not part of
    the problem.

    As for external drives - I use quite a few of them, but they aren't plugged
    in until after the system has come up.

    Billy Y..

    , Mar 28, 2008
  8. On Mar 27, 9:02 am, (Phil) wrote:
    > Hi everyone:
    >
    > I have a Power Mac G4 ( Mac OS X 10.3.9) running Safari 1.3.2 (v312.6)
    > Hard drive is 70% free.  I have DSL internet- speedtests show about
    > 1500-1800kbps DOWNLOAD & 300-400kbps UPLOAD.
    >
    > I have been having a few problems lately that make me wonder if my machine
    > is getting ready to call it quits.
    >
    > 1. About four times in the past six months I have turned on the computer and
    > been greeted with nothing but a blue screen. Nothing else. If I hold down the
    > power button for five seconds it will turn off, and then when I restart it, all is well.
    > This makes me VERY NERVOUS each time it happens since I have heard about the
    > Mac's 'Blue Screen Of Death.'
    >
    > 2. I am having so many problems with Safari lately. It has been crashing more and
    > more frequently for the past few months. Very annoying.
    >
    > 3. The past couple weeks Safari has become really bad about loading pages.
    > It may load 80% and then freeze up. Or take a couple minutes to load a page.
    >
    > Comments would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Phil

    Get some other browser - IMHO - Safari is a patched mess that loves
    to crash your computer
    or itself at random. Sort of like the old lady who lived in a shoe
    and had so many children she
    didn't know what to do -- so, she crashed.

    Saint Isadore Patron Saint of the Internet, Mar 28, 2008
  9. In article
    <>,
    Saint Isadore Patron Saint of the Internet <> wrote:

    > Get some other browser - IMHO - Safari is a patched mess that loves
    > to crash your computer or itself at random.

    That's your opinion. But what do you base your opinion on? Do you have
    access to the source code?

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 28, 2008