    I installed the same version on my 2nd PC which has an E6400 and Speedfan
    reports 40C when the PC is idling and 50C under load.

    Qxxxx is supposed to run hotter than Exxx, right?
    KlausK, Jan 22, 2008

  2. On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:41:52 -0500, KlausK wrote:

    > According to the latest version of Speedfan, the temp of my Q6600 (G0)
    > is around 21C and goes up to 25C under load. I'm not sure if the temp is
    > accurate. Isn't it too low?
    >
    > I installed the same version on my 2nd PC which has an E6400 and
    > Speedfan reports 40C when the PC is idling and 50C under load.
    >
    > Qxxxx is supposed to run hotter than Exxx, right?

    It's clearly wrong. 21C is room temperature, i.e. about 70F. The only way
    a Q6600 is at 21C is if the system is powered off or you have your
    computer sitting in a snow bank.
    General Schvantzkopf, Jan 22, 2008

  3. KlausK

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'KlausK' wrote:
    | According to the latest version of Speedfan, the temp of my Q6600 (G0) is
    | around 21C and goes up to 25C under load. I'm not sure if the temp is
    | accurate. Isn't it too low?
    |
    | I installed the same version on my 2nd PC which has an E6400 and Speedfan
    | reports 40C when the PC is idling and 50C under load.
    |
    | Qxxxx is supposed to run hotter than Exxx, right?
    _____

    So far, there are NO system health applets that approach the utility and
    accuracy of that old favorite, MotherBoard Monitor. Unfortunately,
    MotherBoard Monitor has not been updated in several years; consequently it
    does not work on Core 2 motherboards. SpeedFan may work on SOME
    motherboards, but certainly not on yours (whatever it is - posting WHAT
    motherboard you have would be a big help in getting help, as would the
    ambient room temperature and the type of cooling you use).

    SpeedFan 4.33 reports, for my EVGA 680i, core temperatures that are 10 to 15
    C below the actual temperatures (as reported by the Intel Thermal Analysis
    Tool. SpeedFan 4.34 beta 37 does a much better job; the core temperatures
    are accurate, but system temperature (at - 65 C) is off a lot, only two fan
    speeds are reported (one of which is NOT one of the existing fans!) out of
    four, and of the three voltages reported, the + 12 volts is low by about 1.0
    volt (at 11.09 v).

    You should use the Intel Thermal Analysis Tool for accurate core
    temperatures (TAT reports on at least 2 cores.)

    SpeedFan works better for some motherboards than for others - that likely
    explains the difference you get on your two different systems.

    Intel Quad Core CPUs produce more heat than Core 2 Duo CPUs. That is NOT
    the same as 'run hotter'. The core temperatures depend on heat produced,
    the cooling solution and the room ambient temperature.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Jan 22, 2008
  4. KlausK

    AF Guest

    "Phil Weldon" <> wrote in

    >> 'KlausK' wrote:
    >> According to the latest version of Speedfan, the temp of my Q6600
    >> (G0) is around 21C and goes up to 25C under load. I'm not sure if the
    >> temp is accurate. Isn't it too low?
    >>
    >> I installed the same version on my 2nd PC which has an E6400 and
    >> Speedfan reports 40C when the PC is idling and 50C under load.
    >>
    >> Qxxxx is supposed to run hotter than Exxx, right?

    > _____
    >
    > So far, there are NO system health applets that approach the utility
    > and accuracy of that old favorite, MotherBoard Monitor.
    > Unfortunately, MotherBoard Monitor has not been updated in several
    > years; consequently it does not work on Core 2 motherboards.
    > SpeedFan may work on SOME motherboards, but certainly not on yours
    > (whatever it is - posting WHAT motherboard you have would be a big
    > help in getting help, as would the ambient room temperature and the
    > type of cooling you use).
    >
    > SpeedFan 4.33 reports, for my EVGA 680i, core temperatures that are 10
    > to 15 C below the actual temperatures (as reported by the Intel
    > Thermal Analysis Tool. SpeedFan 4.34 beta 37 does a much better job;
    > the core temperatures are accurate, but system temperature (at - 65 C)
    > is off a lot, only two fan speeds are reported (one of which is NOT
    > one of the existing fans!) out of four, and of the three voltages
    > reported, the + 12 volts is low by about 1.0 volt (at 11.09 v).
    >
    > You should use the Intel Thermal Analysis Tool for accurate core
    > temperatures (TAT reports on at least 2 cores.)
    >
    > SpeedFan works better for some motherboards than for others - that
    > likely explains the difference you get on your two different systems.
    >
    > Intel Quad Core CPUs produce more heat than Core 2 Duo CPUs. That is
    > NOT the same as 'run hotter'. The core temperatures depend on heat
    > produced, the cooling solution and the room ambient temperature.
    >
    > Phil Weldon

    Thank you Phil

    AF, Jan 26, 2008