    maximum cacheable memory will become 320mb because 1m can cache 256mb, so
    256k can cache 64mb and 256mb+64mb=320mb.

    ---
    Stanley Chu, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Stanley Chu

    Kyle Brant Guest

    You are correct. The mobo cache becomes a secondary cache, and it
    only works on 256 meg (actually, 255meg I think is the number, some
    hitch in the implementation of the mvp3 chipset and the internal TAG
    RAM).

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Stanley Chu

    Robert Guest

    Doesn't work that way. Motherboard cache becomes L3 cache. Cacheable area
    with the K6-III is 4 GB. See "Processor Caches" on:
    http://www.sandpile.org/impl/k6.htm

    Robert, Sep 1, 2003
  4. Stanley Chu

    John Guest

    that is correct, it's a function of the CPU

    John, Sep 2, 2003
  5. Stanley Chu

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Well, I did not read your post very closely, but the bottom line is
    the k6-3 CPU caches the entire memory space. The mobo cache becomes a
    tertiary cache and caches only 256 meg.

    --
    "Kyle Brant" <> wrote in message
    | You are correct. The mobo cache becomes a secondary cache, and it
    | only works on 256 meg (actually, 255meg I think is the number, some
    | hitch in the implementation of the mvp3 chipset and the internal TAG
    | RAM).
    |
    | --
    | Best regards,
    | Kyle
    | tired of spam, no email address
    | "Stanley Chu" <> wrote in message
    | | I have a VA503+ which has 1mb onboard cache. It is supposed that
    | the
    | | maximum cacheable memory is 256mb. However, I use a K6-3 with the
    | board.
    | | The cpu has 256k built-in cache memory. Therefore I believe that
    | the
    | | maximum cacheable memory will become 320mb because 1m can cache
    | 256mb, so
    | | 256k can cache 64mb and 256mb+64mb=320mb.
    | |
    | |
    | | ---
    | |
    | |

    Kyle Brant, Sep 2, 2003
  6. Stanley Chu

    Stanley Chu Guest

    Thank you very much for your valuable information. Does this mean that I
    can add up to 512mb of ram without any performance hit because it seems that
    it is the cpu's L2 on-board cache that matters rather than the L3 external
    cache.
    "Robert" <> ¦b¶l¥ó news:
    ¤¤¼¶¼g...
    > Doesn't work that way. Motherboard cache becomes L3 cache. Cacheable area
    > with the K6-III is 4 GB. See "Processor Caches" on:
    > http://www.sandpile.org/impl/k6.htm
    > "Stanley Chu" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a VA503+ which has 1mb onboard cache. It is supposed that the
    > > maximum cacheable memory is 256mb. However, I use a K6-3 with the

    board.
    > > The cpu has 256k built-in cache memory. Therefore I believe that the
    > > maximum cacheable memory will become 320mb because 1m can cache 256mb,

    so
    > > 256k can cache 64mb and 256mb+64mb=320mb.
    > >

    > > ---

    ---
    Stanley Chu, Sep 3, 2003
  7. Stanley Chu

    Kyle Brant Guest

    I would think you should see good memory performance even with 512 meg
    of sdram.

    Kyle Brant, Sep 3, 2003
  8. Stanley Chu

    Russell May Guest

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:52:09 +0800, "Stanley Chu"
    <> wrote:

    >Thank you very much for your valuable information. Does this mean that I
    >can add up to 512mb of ram without any performance hit because it seems that
    >it is the cpu's L2 on-board cache that matters rather than the L3 external
    >cache.

    <snip>

    Performance for simple operations might be reduced slightly but
    not noticeably with 512MB. Perfromance could be increased (by
    preventing or reducing virtual memory swapping) if you are heavily
    multitasking or using a huge amount of data.

    With Write Back caching disabled (the normal situation), a K6-3
    caches everything in its L1 and L2 cache, and the VA-503+
    motherboard caches 255MB as an L3 cache. 255, not 256.

    In 2001 I measured a 0 to 3 percent faster speed in Graphics
    Winbench 96 using 256MB versus 255MB (via "MaxPhysPage=FF00" in
    system.ini). Search for "MVP3 (VA-503+) benchmark results with
    256MB memory?" on Google Groups Search for details.

    I did not compare speeds with 256MB and 384MB of memory. I did not
    try 512MB of memory.

    Too many memory chips made my VA-503+ inoperable. 27 chips worked
    on mine but 36 chips did not. 512MB will probably work for you if
    it comprises a total of 16 (18 for ECC) 8-bit wide chips.
    Russell May, Sep 3, 2003