Is the Thinkpad 2628-GSU A21m an albatross..the worst?

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by gtt_duncan, May 10, 2009.

  1. gtt_duncan

    gtt_duncan Guest

    ... I have two now ...and dumped two...following many years of success
    with 770z etc

    unit one)bad display

    unit two) bad display

    unit three) toasted CPU

    I have one running now, with a constant audio stream and a server for
    MajicJack. It seems to be holding....with Windows XP--SP3 and 524 mg
    of ram

    The other is driving me crazy.. XP 1st...but it appears the blue
    screeen and "memory dumps" are emanating from the CPU...with the help
    of weak memory.

    I have run the memory tests, dropped one and went to one...not better.

    Strangely .. when the bad unit" crashes it frequently will not reboot
    unless I shut it off and reverse the memory modules.

    After it runs a few minutes to an hour and dumps again and won't
    restart...again, if i turn the memory around (two pc100 of 128
    each..one samsung .. the other not identifiable other than a
    copyrighted IBM sticker on i t an Nike type M logo.

    I have swapped the HD and memory into the "good" unit and it holds
    what I thought was a bad OS and bad memory but that proved not the
    case.

    Now I will gett naked.
    Can i change the CPU? I have the a21m manual pdf.

    I'm getting these errors:

    a mem stick error of Chckr3 showed up . Sent fffff got dttttt

    blue screen noting 0x0000008E and later .... 0x0000007F and the
    repetitive:
    IRQL-NOT-LESS- OR - EQUAL

    WHAT DO YOU THINK?

    Since I have a pile of HD's and CD-RW and memory and AC chargers and
    DC batteries for the A21M...should I try to pick up another? Or
    should I go get a Azus netbook?
    gtt_duncan, May 10, 2009

  2. gtt_duncan

    parv Guest

    in message <>,
    wrote gtt_duncan ...

    > I have one running now, with a constant audio stream and a server
    > for MajicJack. It seems to be holding....with Windows XP--SP3 and
    > 524 mg of ram

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    "Ram" as in nearly half gram of sheep?

    :)

    - parv

    parv, May 11, 2009

  3. gtt_duncan

    Horst Franke Guest

    In news: gtt_duncan wrote:

    > I'm getting these errors:
    > blue screen noting 0x0000008E and later .... 0x0000007F and the
    > repetitive: IRQL-NOT-LESS- OR - EQUAL

    Hi, go to the Microsoft KB and look for these BSODs!
    Try to isolate your problem by the source indication.

    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is listed in XP TechRef with
    0x0000000A as: Access on RAM without correct rights.
    Mostly caused by incompatible hardware or software.

    0x00000007F or UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
    Should be accompanied by up to four parameters.
    See also
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Search/en-US/?query=0x0000007F&ac=3

    0x0000008E see
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Search/en-US/?query=0x0000008E&ac=3