    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    ( )
    Ant, Mar 13, 2008

  2. Ant

    Ian D Guest

    "Ant" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi.
    >
    > I have a few years old Pentium 4 machine, but I don't know if it can do
    > 64-bit. Is there a way to check without installing and running the
    > installed OS? Can I use a LiveCD (which one?), look in BIOS/CMOS
    > (didn't see anything to mention it), etc.?
    >
    > Thank you in advance. :)
    > --
    > "I've been on some fairways that are as good as the greens we putted on
    > back then. We had crab grass. I remember one green where I putted
    > through ants." --Sam Snead
    > /\___/\
    > / /\ /\ \ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    > | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
    > \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    > ( )

    Go to www.cpuid.com and download CPU-Z, latest version 1.44.
    When you run it check 'Instructions' on the CPU tab. If EM64T
    is listed, it's a 64 bit CPU.
    Ian D, Mar 14, 2008

  3. Ant

    Ant Guest

    On 3/13/2008 6:13 PM PT, Ian D typed:

    > "Ant" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I have a few years old Pentium 4 machine, but I don't know if it can do
    >> 64-bit. Is there a way to check without installing and running the
    >> installed OS? Can I use a LiveCD (which one?), look in BIOS/CMOS
    >> (didn't see anything to mention it), etc.?
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance. :)

    > Go to www.cpuid.com and download CPU-Z, latest version 1.44.
    > When you run it check 'Instructions' on the CPU tab. If EM64T
    > is listed, it's a 64 bit CPU.

    Um, I would have to install Windows to use it. I said "Is there a way to
    check without installing and running the installed OS?"
    --
    "In an ant colony, dew is a flood." --Afghan
    /\___/\
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: NT
    ( ) or
    Ant, Mar 14, 2008
  4. Ant

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Ant" <> wrote in message
    > On 3/13/2008 6:13 PM PT, Ian D typed:
    >
    >> "Ant" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi.
    >>>

    > Um, I would have to install Windows to use it. I said "Is there a way to
    > check without installing and running the installed OS?"

    You can start here if you know the exact model of your CPU:

    http://compare.intel.com/pcc/default.aspx?familyID=1&culture=en-US

    Tom Lake
    Tom Lake, Mar 14, 2008
  5. Ant

    Ant Guest

    On 3/13/2008 10:59 PM PT, Tom Lake typed:

    >> Um, I would have to install Windows to use it. I said "Is there a way
    >> to check without installing and running the installed OS?"

    > You can start here if you know the exact model of your CPU:
    >
    > http://compare.intel.com/pcc/default.aspx?familyID=1&culture=en-US

    I have no idea which model it is though.
    --
    "Don't stop to stomp ants when the elephants are stampeding." --unknown
    /\___/\
    Ant, Mar 14, 2008
  6. Ant

    Murray Symon Guest

    Ant wrote:

    > On 3/13/2008 10:59 PM PT, Tom Lake typed:
    >
    >>> Um, I would have to install Windows to use it. I said "Is there a way
    >>> to check without installing and running the installed OS?"

    >> You can start here if you know the exact model of your CPU:
    >>
    >> http://compare.intel.com/pcc/default.aspx?familyID=1&culture=en-US

    > I have no idea which model it is though.

    You could try 'dmesg' or 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' in a terminal window
    (aka command prompt, aka xterm).

    Caveat: They rely your kernel recognising the CPU correctly - that
    will depend on how up to date it is (considering that your OP
    header listed FC3, 2.6.11 as your platform).
    Murray Symon, Mar 14, 2008
  7. Ant

    Trent Guest

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:32:27 -0500 (Ant) wrote in
    Message id: <>:

    >Hi.
    >
    >I have a few years old Pentium 4 machine, but I don't know if it can do
    >64-bit. Is there a way to check without installing and running the
    >installed OS? Can I use a LiveCD (which one?), look in BIOS/CMOS
    >(didn't see anything to mention it), etc.?
    >
    >Thank you in advance. :)

    There is a five digit code on top of the chip that begins with SL. What is
    the code on yours?
    Trent, Mar 14, 2008
  8. Ant

    Ant Guest

    On 3/14/2008 2:35 AM PT, Trent typed:

    >> I have a few years old Pentium 4 machine, but I don't know if it can do
    >> 64-bit. Is there a way to check without installing and running the
    >> installed OS? Can I use a LiveCD (which one?), look in BIOS/CMOS
    >> (didn't see anything to mention it), etc.?
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance. :)

    > There is a five digit code on top of the chip that begins with SL. What is
    > the code on yours?

    Oh, I forgot to say without opening up the case earlier. :) I guess that
    would work. Do I just Google that serial number/code to get the answer?
    --
    "... Our world is not an ant farm!" --Duncan MacLeod (Highlander Season
    3 Finale Part II)
    Ant, Mar 14, 2008
  9. Ant

    Trent Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 03:07:00 -0700 Ant <> wrote in
    Message id: <47da4e45$0$17326$>:

    >On 3/14/2008 2:35 AM PT, Trent typed:
    >
    >>> I have a few years old Pentium 4 machine, but I don't know if it can do
    >>> 64-bit. Is there a way to check without installing and running the
    >>> installed OS? Can I use a LiveCD (which one?), look in BIOS/CMOS
    >>> (didn't see anything to mention it), etc.?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you in advance. :)

    >> There is a five digit code on top of the chip that begins with SL. What is
    >> the code on yours?

    >Oh, I forgot to say without opening up the case earlier. :) I guess that
    >would work. Do I just Google that serial number/code to get the answer?

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/Default.aspx

    Place your SL code in the sSpec search box. This should get you to what
    you're looking for.
    Trent, Mar 14, 2008
  10. Ant

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Ant wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I have a few years old Pentium 4 machine, but I don't know if it can do
    > 64-bit. Is there a way to check without installing and running the
    > installed OS? Can I use a LiveCD (which one?), look in BIOS/CMOS
    > (didn't see anything to mention it), etc.?
    >
    > Thank you in advance. :)

    You can always download one of the 32-bit Linux live-cd's, such as
    Ubuntu. Once you boot up into the cd, then all you would have to do is
    run the command "more /proc/cpuinfo" at a command prompt. It should show
    as one of its flags that either EM64T or AMD64 or x86-64 or x64 or
    something like that is supported. I would assume it's most likely going
    to be called x86-64 under Linux.

    Yousuf Khan
    Yousuf Khan, Mar 14, 2008
  11. Ant

    Ant Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems Trent <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 03:07:00 -0700 Ant <> wrote in
    > Message id: <47da4e45$0$17326$>:

    > >On 3/14/2008 2:35 AM PT, Trent typed:

    > >> There is a five digit code on top of the chip that begins with SL. What is
    > >> the code on yours?

    > >Oh, I forgot to say without opening up the case earlier. :) I guess that
    > >would work. Do I just Google that serial number/code to get the answer?

    > http://processorfinder.intel.com/Default.aspx

    > Place your SL code in the sSpec search box. This should get you to what
    > you're looking for.

    Thanks!
    Ant, Mar 14, 2008
  12. Ant

    Ant Guest

    > > I have a few years old Pentium 4 machine, but I don't know if it can do
    > > 64-bit. Is there a way to check without installing and running the
    > > installed OS? Can I use a LiveCD (which one?), look in BIOS/CMOS
    > > (didn't see anything to mention it), etc.?
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance. :)

    > You can always download one of the 32-bit Linux live-cd's, such as
    > Ubuntu. Once you boot up into the cd, then all you would have to do is
    > run the command "more /proc/cpuinfo" at a command prompt. It should show
    > as one of its flags that either EM64T or AMD64 or x86-64 or x64 or
    > something like that is supported. I would assume it's most likely going
    > to be called x86-64 under Linux.

    Thanks, that will work for my scenario. I just didn't want to tamper
    with installation and the HDD. :)
    Ant, Mar 14, 2008
  13. Ant

    Scott Alfter Guest

    In article <47da0eb2$0$12553$>,
    Ant <> wrote:
    >On 3/13/2008 6:13 PM PT, Ian D typed:
    >> "Ant" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi.
    >>>
    >>> I have a few years old Pentium 4 machine, but I don't know if it can do
    >>> 64-bit. Is there a way to check without installing and running the
    >>> installed OS? Can I use a LiveCD (which one?), look in BIOS/CMOS
    >>> (didn't see anything to mention it), etc.?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you in advance. :)

    >> Go to www.cpuid.com and download CPU-Z, latest version 1.44.
    >> When you run it check 'Instructions' on the CPU tab. If EM64T
    >> is listed, it's a 64 bit CPU.

    >Um, I would have to install Windows to use it. I said "Is there a way to
    >check without installing and running the installed OS?"

    Boot up your favorite Linux live CD, log in, and type this:

    cat /proc/cpuinfo

    The "flags" line will list everything that your processor supports.

    A simpler go/no-go test would be to make sure it's an AMD64 live CD instead
    of an x86 live CD...either it'll boot or it won't.

    _/_
    (IIGS( http://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
    \_^_/ rm -rf /bin/laden >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?
    Scott Alfter, Mar 14, 2008
  14. Ant

    DaveW Guest

    Tell us specifically which version/model of P4 CPU you have and we'll tell
    you if it is 64 bit.

    --
    --DaveW

    DaveW, Mar 14, 2008
  15. Ant

    Ant Guest

    On 3/14/2008 4:07 PM PT, DaveW typed:

    > Tell us specifically which version/model of P4 CPU you have and we'll tell
    > you if it is 64 bit.

    I forgot to mention that I do not want to open the computer case. So I
    don't know which P4 it is.
    --
    "An anthill increases by accumulation. / Medicine is consumed by
    distribution. / That which is feared lessens by association. / This is
    Ant, Mar 16, 2008
  16. Ant

    Paul Vojta Guest

    In article <47dc7052$0$24087$>,
    Ant <> wrote:
    >On 3/14/2008 4:07 PM PT, DaveW typed:
    >
    >> Tell us specifically which version/model of P4 CPU you have and we'll tell
    >> you if it is 64 bit.

    >I forgot to mention that I do not want to open the computer case. So I
    >don't know which P4 it is.

    Well, short of extreme measures such as X-raying the computer, you'll have
    to find out by running some sort of program. To do that, you should either
    say what operating system is currently running on the computer, or run
    some sort of live CD. The latter has already been mentioned as a possibility.

    So, at this point, why are you still asking questions?

    --Paul Vojta,
    Paul Vojta, Mar 17, 2008