Is this Intel DP965LT mb a good choice?

Discussion in 'IBM' started by AJackson, Jul 10, 2007.

  1. AJackson

    AJackson Guest

    I have an empty ATX box with older HD & optical drives & diskette.
    I just want to bring up the system running first at lower cost, and
    upgrade it as years to come.
    http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/DP965LT/index.htm

    I plan to buy the Intel DP965LT motherboard (NewEgg $95). The reason I
    select DP965LT is because I can upgrade to Core 2 Duo as price comes down
    in the future.

    I plan to get the Pentium D 915 w/o fan (Fries $50). Then get the
    coolermaster.com socket LGA775 XDreamP775 fan (Fries $18). Or should I get
    this Pentium D 915 with fan at $85 (Fries & NewEgg) - Is
    this fan integrated, comes from Intel? or NewEgg add the fan on later?

    I will add one Crucial 1GB DDR2 533 (NewEgg $39).
    I plan to use my old PCI VGA card. DVD writer will be external.

    My question is:
    1. does the Intel P965 chip set needs fan cooling?
    2. This mb has only one Parallel ATA. Can I connect it to one HD and one
    optical drive?
    3. is my current 300 watts ATX power with 20 pins connector, sufficient
    for this minimal system configuration? Or, may need 20 to 24 pins
    converter.

    Fries Electronics has memory on sales, Crucial DDR2 1GB, PC5300, single
    module, 667MHz for 19.99 ($39.99 with $20 rebate).
    In Crucial web site, all their 1GB DDR2 modules are 1.8V.
    I asked the Fries guy and I got a "I don't know" answer.

    I assume this Fries memory is 1.8V, right?

    I want to avoid all these 1.9V problems with this md.
    AJackson, Jul 10, 2007

  2. AJackson

    kony Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:24:50 -0700, "AJackson"
    <> wrote:

    >I have an empty ATX box with older HD & optical drives & diskette.
    >I just want to bring up the system running first at lower cost, and
    > upgrade it as years to come.
    >http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/DP965LT/index.htm
    >
    >I plan to buy the Intel DP965LT motherboard (NewEgg $95). The reason I
    >select DP965LT is because I can upgrade to Core 2 Duo as price comes down
    >in the future.
    >
    >I plan to get the Pentium D 915 w/o fan (Fries $50). Then get the
    >coolermaster.com socket LGA775 XDreamP775 fan (Fries $18). Or should I get
    >this Pentium D 915 with fan at $85 (Fries & NewEgg) - Is
    >this fan integrated, comes from Intel? or NewEgg add the fan on later?

    All of these Intel retail processors come with a
    heatsink/fan. On some odd bundled deal with a board and
    heatsink you might get a different 'sink but it is generally
    not a good one... which would add too much to the bundle
    price.

    I recommend you not buy the temporary CPU, instead just wait
    for Intel's July 22-23 price cuts to be reflected in vendor
    prices and get a lower end Core2Duo at that point.

    >I will add one Crucial 1GB DDR2 533 (NewEgg $39).

    I'd get higher speed DDR2, it'll be more (re)usable later.

    >I plan to use my old PCI VGA card. DVD writer will be external.

    Is the budget that tight? I would think you are better off
    getting a board with integrated video, or some low-end PCI
    Express card... Newegg has several that're under $30 after a
    rebate.

    >My question is:
    >1. does the Intel P965 chip set needs fan cooling?

    No, but a manufacturer might opt for one. It produces more
    heat than (many) older chipsets so airflow is more important
    than on some.

    >2. This mb has only one Parallel ATA. Can I connect it to one HD and one
    >optical drive?

    yes

    If you need more than 2 PATA devices, get a PCI or PCI
    Express PATA controller card.

    >3. is my current 300 watts ATX power with 20 pins connector, sufficient
    > for this minimal system configuration? Or, may need 20 to 24 pins
    >converter.

    You won't need 24 pin, but you didn't tell us exactly what
    your "300 watts" PSU is, it may or may not have enough
    current capability per rail. If it's fairly old, (a few
    years) odds are it does not and would need replaced for this
    factor irregardless of # of pins (20 vs 24).

    >Fries Electronics has memory on sales, Crucial DDR2 1GB, PC5300, single
    >module, 667MHz for 19.99 ($39.99 with $20 rebate).
    >In Crucial web site, all their 1GB DDR2 modules are 1.8V.
    >I asked the Fries guy and I got a "I don't know" answer.
    >
    >I assume this Fries memory is 1.8V, right?
    >
    >I want to avoid all these 1.9V problems with this md.

    All those 1.9V problems means what?
    Get the memory and if it ultimately doesn't work you'll have
    to return it. Set the bios for 1.9V if it isn't stable at
    1.8V.
    kony, Jul 11, 2007

  3. AJackson

    Paul Guest

    AJackson wrote:
    > I have an empty ATX box with older HD & optical drives & diskette.
    > I just want to bring up the system running first at lower cost, and
    > upgrade it as years to come.
    > http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/DP965LT/index.htm
    >
    > I plan to buy the Intel DP965LT motherboard (NewEgg $95). The reason I
    > select DP965LT is because I can upgrade to Core 2 Duo as price comes down
    > in the future.
    >
    > I plan to get the Pentium D 915 w/o fan (Fries $50). Then get the
    > coolermaster.com socket LGA775 XDreamP775 fan (Fries $18). Or should I get
    > this Pentium D 915 with fan at $85 (Fries & NewEgg) - Is
    > this fan integrated, comes from Intel? or NewEgg add the fan on later?
    >
    > I will add one Crucial 1GB DDR2 533 (NewEgg $39).
    > I plan to use my old PCI VGA card. DVD writer will be external.
    >
    > My question is:
    > 1. does the Intel P965 chip set needs fan cooling?
    > 2. This mb has only one Parallel ATA. Can I connect it to one HD and one
    > optical drive?
    > 3. is my current 300 watts ATX power with 20 pins connector, sufficient
    > for this minimal system configuration? Or, may need 20 to 24 pins
    > converter.
    >
    > Fries Electronics has memory on sales, Crucial DDR2 1GB, PC5300, single
    > module, 667MHz for 19.99 ($39.99 with $20 rebate).
    > In Crucial web site, all their 1GB DDR2 modules are 1.8V.
    > I asked the Fries guy and I got a "I don't know" answer.
    >
    > I assume this Fries memory is 1.8V, right?
    >
    > I want to avoid all these 1.9V problems with this md.

    Can you provide the power rating, printed on the side of the PSU ? It
    would look something like this. Some old supplies put the emphasis
    on the 5V rail, and such a supply might not be optimal for this
    application.

    +3.3V @ 18A, +5V @ 25A, +12 @ 19A, -12V @ 0.8A, +5VSB @ 2A

    Also, knowing the brand and model number of the supply, might make
    it easier for someone to guess at the quality of the supply. The Pentium D 915
    draws a maximum of 95W. At 90% Vcore conversion efficiency, that would be
    about 12V @ 8.8A current draw. Allowing another 2.6A for hard drive, CD, and
    fans, brings that up to 11.4 amps. When you get a Core2 Duo some
    day, that will be 65W instead of 95W, and use less power.

    The 20 pin connector on the PSU is fine. If you ever decide to plug in
    a PCI Express video card, they can draw up to 4.35A or so, from the 12V
    rail. THe motherboard fan headers add another 0.5A to that. That current
    flows through the single pin on the 20 pin connector, and it is rated at
    6 amps. Basically, unless you're using an SLI board, at this point in time,
    a 20 pin connector is fine, even using a PCI Express video card. Of course,
    if you put too powerful a PCI Express card in the system, it may be too much
    load for your total 12V rail rating. (Whether this simplification remains
    true, really depends on what developers do with the PCI Express x1 slots and
    card types. The power for those slots will come through the single wire
    as well.)

    If the product description says "no fan or cooler", it is up to the customer
    to buy one. Sometimes this is indicated by "retail" versus "OEM", where the
    "retail" product comes with a cooler, while the "OEM" doesn't. It pays to
    read the advertising copy, to be sure what you're getting.

    My personal preference for coolers, is to find something that is easy to
    mount, and doesn't stress the motherboard. Every one has different tastes.
    Some people don't like the "push pin" design of the current generation of
    Intel provided coolers.

    The P965 Northbridge, has a TDP of 19W. It would be nice if the airflow from the
    CPU cooler, happened to push a gentle breeze over the Intel provided heatsink.
    I doubt in your application, the P965 will be drawing the TDP value, but it
    may some day. For example, not plugging in a PCI Express video card, should
    provide a power saving. And only using one DIMM, means one memory channel can
    be shut down

    For the memory, it's plug and pray. If the Intel board has a recent BIOS
    installed, it probably won't be a problem. I'd expect more trouble from
    an enthusiast memory.

    If you were looking for low power, the Conroe-L is only 35W. This is a
    single core processor. Only issue would be, whether the motherboard
    you are buying, has a recent enough BIOS in it, to work out of the box.
    If you had access to an older LGA775 processor, you could flash upgrade,
    then plug in this Celeron Conroe-L. Even a wimpy power supply could run
    one of these.

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9XN
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116039

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 11, 2007
  4. AJackson

    <> wrote:

    >I have an empty ATX box with older HD & optical drives & diskette.
    >I just want to bring up the system running first at lower cost, and
    > upgrade it as years to come.
    >http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/DP965LT/index.htm
    >
    >I plan to buy the Intel DP965LT motherboard (NewEgg $95). The reason I
    >select DP965LT is because I can upgrade to Core 2 Duo as price comes down
    >in the future.

    I have a Intel D965PERL mobo. I think it's a very good chip set. I
    also have the 965 chipset in a motherboard from Shuttle. I was
    pleasantly surprised at the power of the on-board video.

    >I plan to get the Pentium D 915 w/o fan (Fries $50). Then get the
    >coolermaster.com socket LGA775 XDreamP775 fan (Fries $18). Or should I get
    >this Pentium D 915 with fan at $85 (Fries & NewEgg) - Is
    >this fan integrated, comes from Intel? or NewEgg add the fan on later?
    >
    >I will add one Crucial 1GB DDR2 533 (NewEgg $39).
    >I plan to use my old PCI VGA card. DVD writer will be external.
    >
    >My question is:
    >1. does the Intel P965 chip set needs fan cooling?
    >2. This mb has only one Parallel ATA. Can I connect it to one HD and one
    >optical drive?
    >3. is my current 300 watts ATX power with 20 pins connector, sufficient
    > for this minimal system configuration? Or, may need 20 to 24 pins
    >converter.
    >
    >Fries Electronics has memory on sales, Crucial DDR2 1GB, PC5300, single
    >module, 667MHz for 19.99 ($39.99 with $20 rebate).
    >In Crucial web site, all their 1GB DDR2 modules are 1.8V.
    >I asked the Fries guy and I got a "I don't know" answer.
    >
    >I assume this Fries memory is 1.8V, right?
    >
    >I want to avoid all these 1.9V problems with this md.

    , Jul 12, 2007
  5. AJackson

    AJackson Guest

    OK, just order from MWave today.

    1. Intel BoxDP965LTCK at $108 with added $9 bundle test & assembly.
    2. Intel Celeron D 347 at 3.06GHz with Fan. $44.

    Hope Mwave really does the bundle & test this CPU & mb combo.
    Will let you know how this run when arrive.

    Did not order from NewEgg even its few bucks cheaper. NewEgg does not have
    this bundle assemble & test option.

    Get this low end CUP and plan to future Duo Core CPU upgrade.
    AJackson, Jul 13, 2007
  6. AJackson

    kony Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:05:33 -0700, "AJackson"
    <> wrote:

    >OK, just order from MWave today.
    >
    >1. Intel BoxDP965LTCK at $108 with added $9 bundle test & assembly.
    >2. Intel Celeron D 347 at 3.06GHz with Fan. $44.
    >
    >Hope Mwave really does the bundle & test this CPU & mb combo.
    >Will let you know how this run when arrive.
    >
    >Did not order from NewEgg even its few bucks cheaper. NewEgg does not have
    >this bundle assemble & test option.

    Keep in mind that something coming from Newegg (or MWave)
    that has not been tested, has also not been exposed to a
    low-level worker and unknown environment where the worker
    has no personal loss if something is damaged.

    When you don't know if parts are compatible, testing can
    resolve that before you're on the hook for the parts, but
    with known compatible parts it's my opinion that having it
    tested actually increases the chances you will get something
    that is unworkable.
    kony, Jul 13, 2007