IS7 and noise problem

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Jeff, Jul 7, 2007.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    My computer has a noise problem.

    My computer consist of a IS7 motherboard, Pentrium 4 (2,6 GHz) and Radeon
    9600se graphic card, 512MB ram, 320GB SATA + network card
    all put into a Chiftec Dragon MediumTower cabinet

    My computer is making a lot of noise. It is even making more noise now after
    I opened the cabinet and noticed the fan on motherboard wasn't working. (how
    long it hasn't been working I don't know... many it hasn't been working for
    more than a year - while the computer is used 18hours every day). I then
    touched the center of the fan with a finger and then the fan started (I
    didn't hurt myself :) ).

    Today I opened the cabinet and cleaned the wings of the processor fan for
    dust, it had some dust on it's wings. I hoped this would solve the noise
    problem, but it didn't...

    I don't think the noise is caused by cables or anything else touching the
    fans

    Any suggestions?
    Jeff, Jul 7, 2007

  2. "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    > My computer has a noise problem.
    >
    > My computer consist of a IS7 motherboard, Pentrium 4 (2,6 GHz) and Radeon
    > 9600se graphic card, 512MB ram, 320GB SATA + network card
    > all put into a Chiftec Dragon MediumTower cabinet
    >
    > My computer is making a lot of noise. It is even making more noise now
    > after I opened the cabinet and noticed the fan on motherboard wasn't
    > working. (how long it hasn't been working I don't know... many it hasn't
    > been working for more than a year - while the computer is used 18hours
    > every day). I then touched the center of the fan with a finger and then
    > the fan started (I didn't hurt myself :) ).
    >
    > Today I opened the cabinet and cleaned the wings of the processor fan for
    > dust, it had some dust on it's wings. I hoped this would solve the noise
    > problem, but it didn't...
    >
    > I don't think the noise is caused by cables or anything else touching the
    > fans
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    If you have excessive fan noise then you have either an excessive heat
    problem (so the fans run full pelt all the time) or a fan problem (bearings
    worn, faulty fan so much noisier).

    You should, of course, clean out the dust from inside the psu, and other
    fans.

    It is likely, based on what you said, that you have a fan problem and
    replacing the motherboard fan would be a very good place to start.

    hth

    Phil
    Phil Saunders, Jul 7, 2007