    correct this kind of problems?
    Thanks
    Luca
    code001, Sep 24, 2006

  2. code001

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:31:15 +0000, code001 wrote:

    > I've just bought a RAM of 1G KVR266X64C25/1G to add to my MB IT7-MAX2 that
    > is perfectly the same kind as the two 512M (KVR266X64C25/512) already
    > installed.
    > No way to see the banks over 512 M in the 1G board: I totally see 1536M of
    > RAM
    >
    > Does any one know if this happened in the past to anyone else or how to
    > correct this kind of problems?

    Check your manual. It's possibly it's limited to 512M dimms. And yes,
    there have always been limits of ram sizes since the beginning and there
    always will be a limit. The limits are imposed by the CPU address bus and
    the memory controller (in the chipset in your case).

    Wes Newell, Sep 24, 2006

  3. code001

    code001 Guest

    I've previously checked all those, and the manual reports 1G as maxi size
    for a DIMM and 2G as maxi installable RAM, requirements I've respected.
    I can try to see if the newest release of BIOS can help, but is quite
    difficult to me now, because I access the machine threough remote desktop
    and ther are no keyboard nor monitor!!!
    Thanks

    code001, Sep 25, 2006
  4. "code001" <code001.tiscalinet@it> wrote in message...
    > I've previously checked all those, and the manual reports 1G as
    > maxi size for a DIMM and 2G as maxi installable RAM, requirements I've
    > respected.

    The only way to get 2 gigabytes of installed memory on this board is with a
    pair of 1GB DIMMs.

    As Wes has already mentioned, your problem is related to the 845 series
    chipsets' memory controller and that they are only able to access four banks
    of memory (one bank = one side of a DIMM). This in practice meant that
    "proper" Intel-branded 845 motherboards were only equipped with a pair of
    DIMM sockets. Two sockets equals four banks.

    Abit and other manufacturers chose to provide a little more flexibility in
    their designs by providing three DIMM sockets, but in practice what this
    means is that if you do use all three slots, only one side of two of the
    sticks will be readable by the motherboard. Great if you have a couple of
    single-sided DIMMs, not so good if you have double-sided memory.

    What has happened in your case is that the motherboard is seeing both sides
    of your 1gig DIMM, and one side each of your (obviously double-sided) 512's.
    Thus 1024 +256 +256 = 1536.

    If you took one of the 512's out you would still see the total installed
    memory listed as 1536MB, because again you would have a total of four memory
    channels being read. If you really need a couple of gigs, you'll need to
    junk your pair of 512's and get another giga-DIMM.

    > I can try to see if the newest release of BIOS can help

    It won't. What you're seeing is a hardware limitation, and there's nothing
    any BIOS release can do to alleviate it.

    > but is quite difficult to me now, because I access the machine threough
    > remote desktop and ther are no keyboard nor monitor!!!

    To be blunt with you that's not our problem! It's a moot point anyway given
    what is said above, but if you really needed hardware access you could just
    hook a monitor and keyboard up. Alternatively you can always flash the BIOS
    remotely using Flashmenu. Not 100% certain whether it'll work via RD but no
    reason to think it won't provided you have the appropriate user privileges.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Sep 25, 2006