    network again. Ever. ³We just wouldn¹t take the risk,² said Simon Hunt,
    a vice president.'

    Best practices: Leave your iThingies at home.

    Fred Moore, Feb 11, 2012

  2. On 02/11/2012 12:33 PM, Fred Moore wrote:
    > ...if there's nobody there.
    > And there's _always__someone_ there.
    >
    > Traveling Light in a Time of Digital Thievery
    > <http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/technology/electronic-security-a-worry
    > -in-an-age-of-digital-espionage.html>
    >
    > 'McAfee, the security company, said that if any employee¹s device was
    > inspected at the Chinese border, it could never be plugged into McAfee¹s
    > network again. Ever. ³We just wouldn¹t take the risk,² said Simon Hunt,
    > a vice president.'
    >
    > Best practices: Leave your iThingies at home.

    Seems your link broke. Let me try:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/t...y-a-worry-in-an-age-of-digital-espionage.html

    I like this: "Later still, the chamber discovered that its office
    printer and even a thermostat in one of its corporate apartments were
    still communicating with an Internet address in China."

    I wonder if they messed with the temperature just for fun. If your
    office seems a little too warm than usual suspect a hacker. And if you
    network your refrigerator, they might spoil your milk on you while
    you're at work.

    But then there's this:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16919664

    If they hack your cams, they can watch you change your thermostat and
    then change it back.

    *Hemidactylus*, Feb 11, 2012

  3. Fred Moore

    Davoud Guest

    Fred Moore:

    > ...if there's nobody there.
    > And there's _always__someone_ there.
    >
    > Traveling Light in a Time of Digital Thievery
    > <http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/technology/electronic-security-a-worry
    > -in-an-age-of-digital-espionage.html>
    >
    > 'McAfee, the security company, said that if any employee¹s device was
    > inspected at the Chinese border, it could never be plugged into McAfee¹s
    > network again. Ever. ³We just wouldn¹t take the risk,² said Simon Hunt,
    > a vice president.'
    >
    > Best practices: Leave your iThingies at home.

    Exactly. It's not paranoia because they /are/ after you. As a veteran
    of 32 years in the global security business, with more than 12 years in
    Asia, I have to agree with the article. The Chinese are wonderful
    people, IMO, but as a political entity the PRC is an aggressive
    adversary, not a friend. I would not even consider taking a personal
    computer or iThingie to China. If I thought I would need a cell phone I
    would buy a throw-away in China. If I took photos I would carry plenty
    of storage cards and upload them after I got home--I did the same thing
    recently on a trip to Montréal, not out of concern for Canadian spying,
    to be sure, but because I did not want to lug my MBPro along.

    you will say in your entire life.

    usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

    Davoud, Feb 11, 2012
  4. Fred Moore

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 13:10:23 -0500, Davoud wrote:

    > Fred Moore:
    >
    >> ...if there's nobody there.
    >> And there's _always__someone_ there.
    >>
    >> Traveling Light in a Time of Digital Thievery
    >> <http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/technology/electronic-security-a-

    worry
    >> -in-an-age-of-digital-espionage.html>
    >>
    >> 'McAfee, the security company, said that if any employee¹s device was
    >> inspected at the Chinese border, it could never be plugged into
    >> McAfee¹s network again. Ever. ³We just wouldn¹t take the risk,² said
    >> Simon Hunt, a vice president.'
    >>
    >> Best practices: Leave your iThingies at home.

    > Exactly. It's not paranoia because they /are/ after you. As a veteran of
    > 32 years in the global security business, with more than 12 years in
    > Asia, I have to agree with the article. The Chinese are wonderful
    > people, IMO, but as a political entity the PRC is an aggressive
    > adversary, not a friend. I would not even consider taking a personal
    > computer or iThingie to China. If I thought I would need a cell phone I
    > would buy a throw-away in China. If I took photos I would carry plenty
    > of storage cards and upload them after I got home--I did the same thing
    > recently on a trip to Montréal, not out of concern for Canadian spying,
    > to be sure, but because I did not want to lug my MBPro along.

    That makes excellent sense Davoud. And in other countries there's good
    old fashioned theft to persuade you to leave your shiny iThingies at home.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Paul Sture, Feb 17, 2012