'Jasper' Xbox 360 (150W) with 65nm GPU finally arrive in stores

Discussion in 'ATI' started by AirRaid, Nov 27, 2008.

  1. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. AirRaid

    Guest

    Re: 'Jasper' Xbox 360 (150W) with 65nm GPU finally arrive in stores

    On Nov 27, 1:36 pm, AirRaid <> wrote:
    > http://i34.tinypic.com/syovo1.jpg
    >
    > http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index..../www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343546

    So I guess what to look for is the 150w brick as the earlier Falcon's
    used 175w, right?

    I wish someone was brave enough to crack one open.

    I'm still in a personal debate as to get a new Elite or slap on a 120g
    to my OG Pro 20g unit.

    My 360 has gone this far 2 years 9 months without any problems,so why
    not slap a 120g in it.

    , Nov 28, 2008

  3. AirRaid

    Guest

    , Nov 28, 2008
  4. AirRaid

    On Nov 27, 11:12 pm, wrote:
    > On Nov 27, 1:36 pm, AirRaid <> wrote:
    >
    > >http://i34.tinypic.com/syovo1.jpg

    > >http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=668038http://forum.t....

    > So I guess what to look for is the 150w brick as the earlier Falcon's
    > used 175w, right?

    AFAIK, yes.

    > I wish someone was brave enough to crack one open.

    Now that they're out, I'm sure someone will soon, and post it, if they
    haven't already.

    AirRaid, Nov 28, 2008
  5. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    AirRaid, Nov 28, 2008
  6. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    Re: 'Jasper' Xbox 360 (150W) with 65nm GPU finally arrive in stores

    http://venturebeat.com/2008/11/28/m...of-death-with-jasper-based-xbox-360-consoles/

    Microsoft finally addresses Red Ring of Death with Jasper-based
    Xbox 360 consoles
    Dean Takahashi | November 28th, 2008

    The long-awaited Jasper-based versions of the Xbox 360 have finally
    emerged on the market. These new consoles have a redesigned
    motherboard with the new 65-nanometer version of the ATI (now AMD)
    graphics chip that doesn’t run as hot as previous versions. There are
    other changes that improve the reliability and usability of the system
    as well.

    With the new design, Microsoft has a chance to rise above the problems
    associated with the Red Ring of Death, as chronicled in VentureBeat’s
    six-part series on the subject. We’ll see if the systems prove
    reliable. But logically, they should be a lot better. The graphics
    chip will likely consume less power than previous versions, allowing
    it to fit snugly into its motherboard socket. That should lead to
    fewer system failures due to the graphics chips coming loose.

    The new graphics chip will also be smaller and cost less to make.
    These changes and others lower the overall system costs. That’s why
    Microsoft was able to cut its price on all of its Xbox 360 models in
    September. These new Jasper models come with 256 megabytes of internal
    flash memory, which is used to store all of the New Xbox Experience
    dashboard. The NXE doesn’t have to be stored on a hard drive or
    external memory unit and can thus work with even the Xbox 360 Arcade
    model without a hard drive. You can also use this internal memory to
    store Xbox Live Arcade saved games.

    Older models had just 16 megabytes. Also, they have a 150-watt power
    supply, less than the earlier versions with 175 watts. These power
    supplies have a different plug so that you won’t confuse them with
    older versions and plug the wrong one into a machine.

    The previous versions of the Xbox 360 had a 90-nanometer graphics chip
    that proved unreliable due to overheating issues. Those models were
    still in inventory in warehouses and at retail. So it has taken
    several months to flush those out of the system. Still, it’s not clear
    yet how you can distinguish the Jasper models from the older Falcon-
    based machines, but I assume it will have something to do with serial
    numbers listed on the boxes.

    What exactly was wrong with the older 90-nanometer graphics chips and
    the boards that came with them? I’ve gotten some new information on
    that. The main failure cause was “thermal fatigue” of the leaded C4
    connections between the graphics chip die and its organic carrier. The
    underfill had too low a glass-transition temperature for the amount of
    heat generated. That caused cracking over time, resulting in graphics
    chips coming loose.

    In previous versions, Microsoft addressed this with better heat sinks.
    The temperature sense diode was off in a corner and didn’t reflect the
    true temperature in the core regions. Jasper has shifted to a material
    with a significantly higher transition temperature. Coming up with
    this fix took time, since the new material had to be identified and
    tested. The smaller 65nm chip die also helps since the stresses that
    cause the thermal fatigue are related to size.

    AirRaid, Nov 29, 2008